Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Buyout Market 2023: Nerlens 10-day to Nets | Dragic to MIL
Justin Holiday?  He’s not as good as Pinson or Frank. And, he’s oldish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 12:16 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Dedmon off the board. Playoff contenders getting their guys while the Mavs are still on the outside looking in.

I wonder what Bitadze has done to that assistant. Seems he´s getting blacklisted.

76ers signing Dedmon with a -11.9 On/Off. Noel is a buyout candidate thrown around with a similar negative impact as Dedmon. Bitadze has a +6.5 On/Off.

Then McGee´s On/Off is a whooping -17.6 Cry and we have no interest either.

Holiday is barely any better than Hardy right now. In two months he´s probably worse.
Like Reply
Booo Justin Holiday. They probably only preferred him because of his last name
Like Reply
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/3565...cks-buyout
Like Reply
My take: not as exciting as Ross (who folks would've found a way to complain about, anyway) but not as pointless as Green (who's great, but really, truly washed). 

I think Holiday is likely to be a better option than Pinson, though I wouldn't have hated Pinson getting some minutes. Still, with injuries, you might end up needed both.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Reunion Mav, WillE
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 01:18 PM)mvossman Wrote: Dumb.  He is about to turn 34 and looks washed.  I'm not sure what we are getting from his "vetness" given that he has been on shitty teams most of his career.  Stanley would have made so much more sense, but I am guessing that is off the table now (although it doesn't have to be).
Ya, SJ is a big wing too, unlike Holiday which makes the decision even worse given our current team makeup. Holiday is probably a better option than Pinson, but Johnson IMO is way better.
Like Reply
Holiday is listed at 6-6. Ntilikina is listed at 6-5 with a big wingspan. Ntilikina´s On/Off is +2.1 this year. Holiday is -7.6. Not sure in which scenarios Holiday will be a huge help.
[-] The following 3 users Like Mavs2021's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, RoyTarpleysGhost, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
I know it's the buyout market and all but meh.  With Maxi always being an injury risk, Powell being more difficult to play in the playoffs, McGee being largely unplayable and Wood seemingly in the perpetual doghouse, I'd have hoped for Stanley Johnson as big man insurance.
[-] The following 4 users Like cow's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, ItsGoTime, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 02:31 PM)cow Wrote: I know it's the buyout market and all but meh.  With Maxi always being an injury risk, Powell being more difficult to play in the playoffs, McGee being largely unplayable and Wood seemingly in the perpetual doghouse, I'd have hoped for Stanley Johnson as big man insurance.
Stanley Johnson, the new Brandon Bass!
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 02:31 PM)cow Wrote: I know it's the buyout market and all but meh.  With Maxi always being an injury risk, Powell being more difficult to play in the playoffs, McGee being largely unplayable and Wood seemingly in the perpetual doghouse, I'd have hoped for Stanley Johnson as big man insurance.

Agreed. Don't see why they prioritized another supposedly scoring wing instead of a defensive one in StanleyJohnson who has the size to matchup with the LeBron's and Kawhi's of the world. Can they sign two buyout candidates?  If not, don't worry,  he'll be gone soon I'm sure.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 02:47 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Agreed. Don't see why they prioritized another supposedly scoring wing instead of a defensive one in StanleyJohnson who has the size to matchup with the LeBron's and Kawhi's of the world.

Ross would've been a scoring wing, but to be clear, Holiday IS a defender. The "meh" factor from some is about whether or not he's washed. He's a 3&D corner shooter who was becoming highly thought of at one point. 

So, either they don't think he's washed and can help (if so, hopefully they're right!) or they just really don't plan on using him and just think they need another Pinson level choice for insurance.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 02:24 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Holiday is listed at 6-6. Ntilikina is listed at 6-5 with a big wingspan. Ntilikina´s On/Off is +2.1 this year. Holiday is -7.6. Not sure in which scenarios Holiday will be a huge help.
Holiday has a 7'0” wingspan, to go along with very good athleticism, so opposed to FN he can be tasked to guard (bigger) wings.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 03:07 PM)WillE Wrote: Holiday has a 7'0” wingspan, to go along with very good athleticism, so opposed to FN he can be tasked to guard (bigger) wings.

Taking over for Kamm....Frank has a 7'1 wingspan.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 03:12 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Taking over for Kamm....Frank has a 7'1 wingspan.

Ya defensively speaking, Frank is still our best option as a "big wing" just obvious flaws on the other end that keep him off the floor.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 03:07 PM)WillE Wrote: Holiday has a 7'0” wingspan, to go along with very good athleticism, so opposed to FN he can be tasked to guard (bigger) wings.

Frank has a bigger wingspan and if you saw the note above his athleticism fell off a cliff this year (which tends to happen in your mid 30s).  I would much rather see Frank on the court than Pinson or this guy.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 03:27 PM)mvossman Wrote: Frank has a bigger wingspan and if you saw the note above his athleticism fell off a cliff this year (which tends to happen in your mid 30s).  I would much rather see Frank on the court than Pinson or this guy.
Well, if FN could hit a decent % from outside, Holiday would have probably not been brought in.

Yet, does anyone know by data what opponents positions is actually guarding? Just from a gut feeling I would assume PGs and SG, but not SF or even PF.
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 03:42 PM)WillE Wrote: Well, if FN could hit a decent % from outside, Holiday would have probably not been brought in.

Yet, does anyone know by data what opponents positions is actually guarding? Just from a gut feeling I would assume PGs and SG, but not SF or even PF.

I guess, but I'm not sure bringing in Holiday's 50% TS is reason to inject his dwindling defensive skills into the lineup.  The reality is neither of these guys can guard a PF and that's the gaping hole on this team.  There is actually a decent (for buyout standards) defensive power forward on the market and instead we go get a washed shooting guard.
[-] The following 3 users Like mvossman's post:
  • ItsGoTime, RoyTarpleysGhost, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
Any word on Noel buyout yet?
Like Reply
Not sure why we are complaining.   Looks like his guy never scores and he never misses his shots.  Great signing. 

https://twitter.com/pandahank41/status/1...3606266881
[-] The following 3 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • BigDirk41, ItsGoTime, StrandedOnBeauboisHill
Like Reply
(02-13-2023, 02:24 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Holiday is listed at 6-6. Ntilikina is listed at 6-5 with a big wingspan. Ntilikina´s On/Off is +2.1 this year. Holiday is -7.6. Not sure in which scenarios Holiday will be a huge help.

The biggest difference between the two?

Holiday's career 3pt%: 36.4 (34.5% this year)

Franky Smokes career 3pt%: 32.2 (21.7% this year).

Frank is an all world defender. I have no qualms about throwing him out there and having him keep up with Devin Booker. It's the fact he can't score worth a lick. Holiday can theoretically still score.

Still not my favorite choice though. Stanley Johnson would've been my first choice after Ross committed with the Suns.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply