Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(05-12-2023, 10:32 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think it would be a fascinating exercise to figure out what an offer to Kyrie would be that takes into account his "disrespect" level of tolerance, but pays homage to what the actual market might be for him out there. There has got to be a "safe" number for his starting salary that gets us to be able to spend the full MLE and BAE comfortably. Pretty sure his full max bid on the market gets him $202Mish. If that's the case, is any team gonna pay that and will he want to play for the team that does (looking at you Houston)? First thought with that is we can play with the years and max raises to beat that offer while making the first year much lower. We can beat that offer by starting at $36M per year with 8% max raises ($211M). Is that disrespect? Next the flat amount to beat would be $41M per year for 5 years ($405M). That's a lot more stomachable for both sides, but is it low enough to get us comfortably enough below the apron to utilize the full MLE and BAE?

I'm using Sportrac for all my numbers. Oof, those numbers really add up. With that 41 starting # I got to $160.5M (against $162M first tax apron) really fast and not so sure I got all the numbers. I got all 8 current contracts, #10 pick, Kyrie's $41M, Powell at vet min and 4 Incomplete Roster Charges (rounding up to $4M). The starting at $36M doesn't get us enough below either.

I guess we can get there with Bullock and Bertans ways to get them off or lower on the books, would want to know what targets we're getting before I make that decision.

Just need to get Dirk in the room during the negotiations.  

"Hey, Dirk!  Is it a good idea to take less than market value?  Do you regret that now?  When you go to a restaurant in Dallas, do you ever have to pay?  Do most people like you? If you asked Mark for a $25mil/yr consulting gig, would he give it to you?"
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him! - by DallasMaverick - 05-12-2023, 12:08 PM