Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(03-18-2023, 11:21 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: The math tells me in the NBA, you're always better off with the superstar. Out of the 450+ NBA players, there are maybe 20-30 stars. 4 quarters never equal a dollar type of thing in this drama filled league.

Watching Kyrie has been some of the most fun basketball I've seen in a long time. His game is so aesthetically pleasing. I'm bracing myself for when he eventually does some weird antics that will cause a media frenzy, but until then I'm just enjoying the ride.

I think I remember seeing a financial analysis of the return on investment for various classes of NBA players.  The best, by far, was superstars at the very top tier.  Their salaries are capped, but their performance can be far beyond that cap cost.

Next was high-performing rookies who are significantly outplaying their paltry entry-level salaries.

It's the near-superstar level guys who want max or near-max money that tend to significantly underperform.  Think Tobias Harris, Andrew Wiggins, John Collins, Zach Lavine, Mr. Porzingis.  Good players, perhaps, but consume a big chunk of a team's cap, and can't generate wins on their own.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him! - by DallasMaverick - 03-18-2023, 02:41 PM