Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(02-06-2023, 01:02 AM)BoredAssistant Wrote: I hear you but after TC and JB walking I will have a hard time believing he's signing (admitting I didn't care for Nash or Jet but not hating lol).  .

That's fair.

What I am seeing is them paying a huge price in assets, KNOWING just about exactly what it will cost to keep Kyrie. They didn't get rid of the crap contracts, gave up very good players, and gave up a valuable pick. But if they don't write the check, it's all for just 2 months? I just don't see it.

To me, this is another KP-like swing. The Mavs knew the cost in that case as well. Back then, there were similar "what if he walks" questions, and "will the Mavs really offer him a max deal" and so on. And there was also consternation over giving up an unprotected pick (!) and another one on top!

But the contract was no biggie at all, when it came down to it. (Nor was the pick. After all the hand-wring, it ended up being a pick in the 20s iirc.)

KP big swing didn't work for other reasons, of course. (It was because KP mostly was NOT the player he was cracked up to be, plus the injuries. He had skills, to be sure, but a center who likes to play and shoot 30 feet from the basket creates a ton of issues, and the Mavs couldn't solve the puzzle.)

Hopefully this one works out better.
[-] The following 3 users Like F Gump's post:
  • BoredAssistant, KillerLeft, MFFL
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRADE: Kyrie to DAL | SD, DFS, 2029 1st, 2027 2nd, & 2029 2nd to BKN - by F Gump - 02-06-2023, 01:35 AM