Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(02-05-2023, 08:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The craziest thing to me in all of this is the fact that the Mavs could have just tanked at multiple times (including THIS season) and been in so much better position than this. Their refusal to tank and play the long game is absolutely insane and is literally destroying this franchise.

Granted the MBT haven't done a ton of great things since, but if/when Luka leaves, it's the KP trade that doomed this franchise.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...5407172609
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...7352214530
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/stat...5717348353
Like Reply
The Mavs paid a 2029 unprotected 1st for one playoff run with crazy Kyrie.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • hakeemfaan, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:34 PM)cow Wrote: it's the KP trade that doomed this franchise.

It was bad, but it could have been corrected in MANY ways since it happened by competent front office work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:36 PM)Kammrath Wrote: The Mavs paid a 2029 unprotected 1st for one playoff run with crazy Kyrie.

Still might be preferable to giving him a 4-year max extension.

[Image: think-smart.gif]
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:34 PM)cow Wrote: Granted the MBT haven't done a ton of great things since, but if/when Luka leaves, it's the KP trade that doomed this franchise.

It certainly didn't help, but that's the one huge mistake none of us saw coming (we SHOULD have had a problem with the sight-unseen max extension, but I don't remember a single person complaining about it). Still, ONE disaster can be fixed.

...but then, Brunson.

...and now, THIS. 

That's three (3!) of the biggest mistakes I can remember any team making during the time period in question. All of them are era-threatening alone, but enduring all three of them????
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Smitty
Like Reply
Looks like Dallas tried to include Wood and some of our longer contracts

https://twitter.com/camwsmith7/status/16...69602?s=46&t=kvL1e42asieRsS8HLE-tiA
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It was bad, but it could have been corrected in MANY ways since it happened by competent front office work.

People got on my case for poo pooing the KP-Wizards trade.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:37 PM)Kammrath Wrote: It was bad, but it could have been corrected in MANY ways since it happened by competent front office work.

I crapped on it at the time, but that KP for Wiggins swap was for sure in play there at one point
[-] The following 2 users Like Jym's post:
  • Kammrath, KillerLeft
Like Reply
The news that Kyrie isn't automatically guaranteed a big deal in the summer isn't surprising. But Stein's nugget that Wood could still be moved is newsy.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:40 PM)Tyler Wrote: The news that Kyrie isn't automatically guaranteed a big deal in the summer isn't surprising.

This is most likely because Kyrie is going to LAL this summer. Mavs can pretend they don't want to offer the deal, but they are going to be left at the altar. 

AND THE MAVS JUST PAID AN UNPROTECTED 1ST FOR THIS HONOR.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • hakeemfaan, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:40 PM)Tyler Wrote: The news that Kyrie isn't automatically guaranteed a big deal in the summer isn't surprising. But Stein's nugget that Wood could still be moved is newsy.

I thought it was accepted that pretty much everyone not named Luka (and now Kyrie) is in play if they can bring a (MBT perceived) upgrade.  It doesn't seem to me like Dallas is enamored with the thought of giving Wood a 4-year extension, so trading him is probably their only way to keep him from walking.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:38 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It certainly didn't help, but that's the one huge mistake none of us saw coming (we SHOULD have had a problem with the sight-unseen max extension, but I don't remember a single person complaining about it). Still, ONE disaster can be fixed.

...but then, Brunson.

...and now, THIS. 

That's three (3!) of the biggest mistakes I can remember any team making during the time period in question. All of them are era-threatening alone, but enduring all three of them????

It just goes back to Kamm's point about us never wanting to tank.  Cuban is just too impatient.  Luka wasn't even fully paid for when we threw away the rest of our assets overpaying for KP.  Then we overpaid THJ in the ultimate Dwight Powell power move and then overpaid the Wizards to ditch KP.  Our front office does a terrible job of valuation which is why I guess I shouldn't be surprised about overpaying for Kyrie.  But here we are.

(02-05-2023, 08:40 PM)Tyler Wrote: The news that Kyrie isn't automatically guaranteed a big deal in the summer isn't surprising. But Stein's nugget that Wood could still be moved is newsy.

'27 + Wood by the TDL wouldn't surprise me at all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...1800706048
Like Reply
Great so now we know for certain Kyrie doesn't really want to be in DAL. 

I still cannot process how this front office was so completely incompetent that it paid an unprotected 1st in 2029 for this. 

Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:47 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/TheHoopCentral/statu...1800706048

Which should have been a bargaining chip for us.  lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:04 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I am a huge Green fan, but I am a little worried how much we need to count on him in a playoff series now, so in that case Bojan makes some sense.   

Question, instead of Bojan would you rather do Bey?   Maybe you can add Noel and  Burks too.   It would probably take an unprotected first and salary.  Would that work better?   Detroit has no interest in Noel and Burks isn't going to bring much back.

Bey doesn't look like he's improved much since his rookie year. It's a red flag if Detroit is already looking to sell. I think I'd still go with the win-now guy instead of banking on Bey's upside.
Like Reply
I just got off of a lovely 28 hour shift. 

6 hours before I was done, I was bombarded by calls by my dad, brother, and countless friends. I instantly knew what happened and my stomach sank. I couldn't seriously believe the Mavs went and traded for Irving. I couldn't believe further of the package that they sent...

But I had 6 hours to stew and ruminate. If I had the chance to be next to a computer and post, oh boy I would've gone SCORCHED EARTH as KL likes to say.  My initial reaction was of disgust. I mourned the rest of my shift. My exact words were "This is the end of the Luka Doncic Era". I cursed Cuban, Nico, and Kidd. I despised the trade.

6 hours later and I've gone through the seven stages of grief. I still fucking hate the trade. The fact they added an unprotected 2029 first was insane to me. They gutted probably the best 2 assets they had left, and for Kyrie Irving (who they haven't even agreed to an extension over). What was the competition though seriously? Westbrook? Clippers sending a mishmash of bench players? Mavs game them 2 starters AND PICKS dfskbjsadkjlkjlhfaskljdhkhjlnahkj. 

And then I had the Tobias Funke scene in my head,

For the uninitiated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4adxJxqZk&ab_channel=JesseClark

Kyrie the player is much different than Kyrie the person. Yes, Kyrie the player is one of the best point guards of all time. A 30ppg on 50/40/90. Clutch as all hell. Every dribble move you can think of. He really is that good. Such an archetype we've salivated over next to Luka for years. He's an ideal fit. The Mavs added an All-Star starter THIS YEAR to Luka. That kind of talent is rarely ever available (and this one was available for good reason). On a talent level the Mavs made out like bandits, as Dinwiddie and DFS are great role players but can never carry a team. Kyrie can. 

I pray it works. If it does, and the Mavs make 1 more trade to find even a modicum of defense (Grayson Allen would be the cherry on top of this lunatic sandwich), they could be realistic finals contenders THIS YEAR. Yes this year. I truly believe that IF Kyrie can play basketball for 3 months straight. Something he's been unable to do for 5 years in a row. 

It's ridiculous to assume that Kyrie will work. This is as crazy and risky of a trade that I've ever seen. One the Mavs didn't have to make. It has accelerated the timeline expeditiously. I hate this fucking trade and I fucking hate Mark Cuban. But they made it. Hope for the best and try to enjoy it. Should it dematerialize I will be happy to root for Luka and his new team. That's the kind of risk Cuban is taking because I assume a majority of Mav fans feel the same way.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 9 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • F Gump, From Dirk to Luka, hakeemfaan, HoosierDaddyKid, Jmaciscool, Kammrath, khaled1987, KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply