Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(02-05-2023, 08:01 PM)cow Wrote: MBT aren't that stupid.  Well, maybe the Hardy part.

I think that's a better deal than the one that happened today in real life. At least the '27 will be a late first and you wouldn't be sending out one of the best all-time Mavericks in exchange for a horrible person who doesn't care about this team, its players or its fans.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 07:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I've moved on to "scornfully numb" because I kind of saw it coming. I got about a 24 hour head start on you with the process. 

It will probably make the rest of this season more fun, so that part will be ok. 

They WILL offer him his 4-year max on the first day of free agency, just like they did with Porzingis. There's not a doubt in my mind that things will go south from there in a hurry, but, hey...at least they are now essentially void of draft capital for almost a decade.

You were right then. You’re correct now. It’s the bed they’ve made and for this year, I’ll try and enjoy it. Is the future of the franchise as dark as one can be, while having a generational talent?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 07:30 PM)loki Wrote: Unless you're moving Wood I'd rather have Bojan since Kidd won't play 2 bigs when it really matters. Having a true knock down shooter is still a need. Guys like Bullock, Kleber, and THJ are too unreliable.

I am a huge Green fan, but I am a little worried how much we need to count on him in a playoff series now, so in that case Bojan makes some sense.   

Question, instead of Bojan would you rather do Bey?   Maybe you can add Noel and  Burks too.   It would probably take an unprotected first and salary.  Would that work better?   Detroit has no interest in Noel and Burks isn't going to bring much back.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:03 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I think that's a better deal than the one that happened today in real life. At least the '27 will be a late first and you wouldn't be sending out one of the best all-time Mavericks in exchange for a horrible person who doesn't care about this team, its players or its fans.

Don't be crazy.

You know I hate this trade from a valuation standpoint.  It would have been tolerable had the future pick been protected and had Kyrie come with a two year extension.  I full expect you are correct that we'll be handing out a 4-year max deal come the offseason.  

I do love the idea of taking a flier on Kyrie, but in typical MBT fashion we have to bungle the negotiations.  Because of the way we operate, we'll never be able to afford a blue chip player since that's going to cost you young talent and more than the 3x FRPs that the Mavs could ever cobble together.  So we are left acquiring players with warts.

And you and I love Dorian.  But his upside was gone and he was finally on a fair contract.  Taking emotions out of it, which is hard, but trading him wasn't a terrible move.  I wouldn't even mind who we traded him for had my previous tolerable conditions be met.  It's Josh's time.  He isn't as versatile a defender as Dorian but he still has upside and has an offensive skillset more in tune with the modern NBA.  You have to be able to dribble.
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, hakeemfaan, Smitty
Like Reply
The Ringer has two articles pretty rough on the Mavs tonight.

KOC put this in his article though:

League sources say the Clippers offered Luke Kennard, Terance Mann, one future first, and two first-round pick swaps. An additional salary would’ve been required to complete the trade, but that was the gist of it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Chicagojk's post:
  • F Gump, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:10 PM)cow Wrote: Don't be crazy.

Can't help it, sorry. 

(02-05-2023, 08:10 PM)cow Wrote: And you and I love Dorian.  But his upset was gone and he was finally on a fair contract.  Taking emotions out of it, which is hard, but trading him wasn't a terrible move. 

I'm with you on this, conceptually. Unlike you (per your next, unquoted sentence) I'm NOT ok with WHO he was traded for.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 07:18 PM)The Jom Wrote: Trying to get my arms around how you got likes for saying you wouldn’t have traded a pick—ANY PICK—for Giannis. Have you gone insane?

I know that poster doesn’t really mean it. It’s just the shock talking. Giannis is one of the seven best players in the entire history of the planet to step on a basketball court. Of course you’d give up an unprotected pick. And for all of you who didn’t major in economics (I didn’t either), the fact the pick is so far in the future means it has far less value, not more value. We may all be dead by then and the NBA no longer in existence.  Nothing the Mavs gave up is really a massive risk.  Just like with KP, it’s what happens after a big money commitment is made to Kyrie where the major risk will start.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:13 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: League sources say the Clippers offered Luke Kennard, Terance Mann, one future first, and two first-round pick swaps. An additional salary would’ve been required to complete the trade, but that was the gist of it.

I'm sure there are more than a few reading this and wondering "how did the Mavs offer beat that?"

Not me. The Mavs offer blows that out of the water, because I bet that Clippers pick wasn't quite as "future" as that UNPROTECTED '29. Essentially, the Nets are betting that Luka will not be on this team by then, and that the '29 pick will really, really be a good one. And I'd say the odds are in their favor. The Mavs just paid a HUGE price for this insane gamble that has almost no chance of working out.
Like Reply
The only thing I like about this trade is that Kyrie Irving's contract is expiring and that he's going to hate Dallas.
Like Reply
Mavs have to get a third guard too.   In a tight West, they can't risk Luka or Kyrie miss games.     Ideally this would be a small part of a bigger deal.    Maybe Goran is bought out.  LOL.

(02-05-2023, 08:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I'm sure there are more than a few reading this and wondering "how did the Mavs offer beat that?"

Not me. The Mavs offer blows that out of the water, because I bet that Clippers pick wasn't quite as "future" as that UNPROTECTED '29. Essentially, the Nets are betting that Luka will not be on this team by then, and that the '29 pick will really, really be a good one. And I'd say the odds are in their favor. The Mavs just paid a HUGE price for this insane gamble that has almost no chance of working out.

'29 is looking like a weak draft.   I see no players who are ready to help NBA teams currently.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
Bojan, Sadiq Bey, Noel for THJ, Bertans, Hardy, 2027 1st?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Okstate819's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:14 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Can't help it, sorry. 

I'm with you on this, conceptually. Unlike you (per your next, unquoted sentence) I'm NOT ok with WHO he was traded for.

I can appreciate that.  Mavs went for it and I do see potential of Kyrie working out.  It's fucking slim potential, but it is there.  And sometimes you have to work around the margins. 

Mavs are going to spend the rest of their future picks, sooner than later.  And in the event that Luka wants out, you are going to recoup picks.

I guess I'm just in the middle ground.  I hate the trade execution but not the concept of it.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • KillerLeft, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 07:18 PM)The Jom Wrote: Trying to get my arms around how you got likes for saying you wouldn’t have traded a pick—ANY PICK—for Giannis. Have you gone insane?

It’s cause Giannis plays in Milwaukee
[-] The following 2 users Like DrMav's post:
  • cow, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:23 PM)DrMav Wrote: It’s cause Giannis plays in Milwaukee

Post of the day.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:17 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: The Mavs just paid a HUGE price for this insane gamble that has almost no chance of working out.

Here is what BOS paid for Kyrie:

Quote:Jae Crowder
Isaiah Thomas
Ante Zizic
2018 first-round pick (became Collin Sexton)
2020 second-round pick (became Skylar Mays)

The craziest thing to me in all of this is the fact that the Mavs could have just tanked at multiple times (including THIS season) and been in so much better position than this. Their refusal to tank and play the long game is absolutely insane and is literally destroying this franchise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
The Mavs screwed up the Brunson trade. We have seen Luka even snapping back at Cuban in the recent months. This is an inexperienced GM to begin with.  Plus he most likely had a gun to his head to make something happen. When you mix those two things throw other things out of the window.  The issue is not now but when Cuban hired a neophyte GM with a generational ready to win a title talent in the fold.

That’s why I have not got caught up in the Kidd bashing or even analyzing this trade from what they should have done better.  It was inevitable they would enter into the Kyrie trade talks and inevitable that they would overpay. If they kept their picks they would have done something dumb then also.  Most likely it would be another GM then who Cuban could still control. 

So that’s why I will just enjoy the team if Kyrie decides he wants to play. If it blows up with him, it only accelerates Luka’s departure but that departure was inevitable too from the moment they lost Brunson and took a huge step backwards with no tangible assets to get a more dependable stud.  Those types of studs attract much more attention and the Mavs realistically had no shot to get any of those types if and when they would become available.
[-] The following 3 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • KillerLeft, omahen, Smitty
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:21 PM)cow Wrote: I hate the trade execution but not the concept of it.

But the execution makes all the difference in the world. I was good if the Mavs got paid to take on Kyrie's headache. I was reluctantly ok with the Mavs taking on Kyrie's headache for SD & DFS. But I HATE, HATE, HATE the Mavs taking on Kyrie's headache for an unprotected 2029 pick.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:25 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Here is what BOS paid for Kyrie:

Quote:Jae Crowder
Isaiah Thomas
Ante Zizic
2018 first-round pick (became Collin Sexton)
2020 second-round pick (became Skylar Mays)

That's comparable to this haul from the Mavs (maybe a bit worse, depending on how you feel about the '29 pick) and it happened back when Irving was a young, talented superstar coming off of a championship season in which he might've been the best player in the finals. The Irving the Mavs traded for today doesn't even resemble that player, mostly due to off-the-court stuff that WILL overshadow anything good he manages to accomplish during his stay here.

(02-05-2023, 08:25 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: The issue is not now but when Cuban hired a neophyte GM with a generational ready to win a title talent in the fold.

THIS is the post of the day.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's comparable to this haul from the Mavs (maybe a bit worse, depending on how you feel about the '29 pick) and it happened back when Irving was a young, talented superstar coming off of a championship season in which he might've been the best player in the finals. The Irving the Mavs traded for today doesn't even resemble that player, mostly due to off-the-court stuff that WILL overshadow anything good he manages to accomplish during his stay here.

Precisely my point.
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 08:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Precisely my point.

I know, my guy, but you were making it with too much subtlety so I got my blunt hammer out to bang it down into people's skulls. 

SCORCHED EARTH
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply