Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(02-05-2023, 04:57 PM)omahen Wrote: We just traded most of those future picks Smile Mavs can trade exactly two picks in the summer. Even if they could trade four of them, it would not be enough for both guys you mentioned.

No half measures. All in now and try to win a chip this year. This has to be the only way that makes sense

I'm not particularly good with this picks, but for who? 

2023 to Knicks for KP, 2029 now to Brooklyn, others should be available for a trade?
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:13 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: I'm not particularly good with this picks, but for who? 

2023 to Knicks for KP, 2029 now to Brooklyn, others should have been available for a trade?

'23 has protections until '25 when it converts to a second.  That gives you '27 and '29 free.  I believe you have traded a conditional future first based on when the New York pick conveyed.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:09 PM)cow Wrote: Kyrie fit with those teams and KD was by his own design.  No one questions Kyrie's talent or ability to fit with other superstars.  He might have played with a more diverse cast of superstars than any player I can think of off hand.  That's not the issue.

Pippen and Rodman are two of my favorite players ever and that's not a great comparison.  Those guys brought it every night and Pippen's blemish occurred while MJ was playing baseball and Phil called a last second shot for Tony instead of him.

In terms of drama, Irving is closer to DFS than being a Rodman. It's all about the fit. Perhaps Irving never got that true fit and understanding from his co-superstars. None of those guys on the list understand schemes and basketball as well as Luka and Kyrie do. Honestly, It's a guess but I think Kyrie is misunderstood in each of those situations. He was always the lesser superstar but always with one with more bbIQ. This is reversed now. He will play in a scheme where he is matched and even exceed in that skill by the bigger superstar. He will know more what his role will be, but he also may have more respect to Luka. I think also Luka will be able to give him the space that none of the others were capable of to the same degree.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:18 PM)burekemde Wrote:  None of those guys on the list understand schemes and basketball as well as Luka and Kyrie do. 

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9526lnh9k9y4ftkfjiq42...y.gif&ct=g]
[-] The following 3 users Like cow's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
I guess Cuban took that billboard seriously!  Regardless what you think about the cost of the trade, we now have a legitimate all-star even all NBA player to pair with Luka.  Lot’s of reasons this can go wrong but it could also possibly work. Offense with Luka, Kyrie, and Wood has best in the league possibilities. Also Kyrie by himself solves our slow pace issues. Kyrie pushes the pace while Luka jogs up the court and runs the half court offense. Also Kyrie and Green on a fast break will be fun. This may not work but I think it will be fun to watch which is something we haven’t been able to say about most Mav games this year
[-] The following 3 users Like rocky164's post:
  • burekemde, From Dirk to Luka, The Jom
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:26 PM)rocky164 Wrote: I guess Cuban took that billboard seriously!  Regardless what you think about the cost of the trade, we now have a legitimate all-star even all NBA player to pair with Luka.  Lot’s of reasons this can go wrong but it could also possibly work. Offense with Luka, Kyrie, and Wood has best in the league possibilities. Also Kyrie by himself solves our slow pace issues. Kyrie pushes the pace while Luka jogs up the court and runs the half court offense. Also Kyrie and Green on a fast break will be fun. This may not work but I think it will be fun to watch which is something we haven’t been able to say about most Mav games this year

The team will be really fun to watch, I cant wait to see this new edition of Mavs. I totally agree. I dont think some people understand the brilliance of this trade. Its all about the fit. The fit can mitigate any high risk involved and increase the chances of success. They just need to think who is the fit and who is not. Wood is clearly a fit as well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:31 PM)burekemde Wrote: The team will be really fun to watch, I cant wait to see this new edition of Mavs. I totally agree. I dont think some people understand the brilliance of this trade. Its all about the fit. The fit can mitigate any high risk involved and increase the chances of success. They just need to think who is the fit and who is not. Wood is clearly a fit as well.

Going all-in on guys who can create?  Compensate for iffy defense with overwhelming offense?
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:18 PM)burekemde Wrote: In terms of drama, Irving is closer to DFS than being a Rodman.

No. No, he's not. 

Rodman was a 1,000x better teammate than Irving. You are either ignorant of the full scope of who Kyrie is or you're lying to yourself. 

You keep making arguments about basketball fit. NO NEED. He's a GIFTED player, who, I agree, will fit with Luka like a dream. 

And my guess (though I'm not sure) is that he tries to make a go of it down the stretch this year. 

But, that will be the sum/total of anything "positive" that comes from this trade, and the Mavs gave up DFS and an UNPROTECTED 2029 pick (very likely to be an early lottery pick) for this. 

If Irving leaves, it's awful. If they give him his 4-year max (that's what will happen), he'll find ways to miss huge stretches of games or start needless drama to draw attention to himself, or both. OR, maybe he aks for another trade a month after he signs (the return being worse than what the Mavs just paid to get him). If they try to play it smart and keep giving him 1-2 year deals to keep him honest, he'll just go somewhere else. 

There is a 0% chance this works out the way you're hoping. Not a 3% chance...0%.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No. No, he's not. 

Rodman was a 1,000x better teammate than Irving. You are either ignorant of the full scope of who Kyrie is or you're lying to yourself. 

You keep making arguments about basketball fit. NO NEED. He's a GIFTED player, who, I agree, will fit with Luka like a dream. 

And my guess (though I'm not sure) is that he tries to make a go of it down the stretch this year. 

But, that will be the sum/total of anything "positive" that comes from this trade, and the Mavs gave up DFS and an UNPROTECTED 2029 pick (very likely to be an early lottery pick) for this. 

If Irving leaves, it's awful. If they give him his 4-year max (that's what will happen), he'll find ways to miss huge stretches of games or start needless drama to draw attention to himself, or both. OR, maybe he aks for another trade a month after he signs (the return being worse than what the Mavs just paid to get him). If they try to play it smart and keep giving him 1-2 year deals to keep him honest, he'll just go somewhere else. 

There is a 0% chance this works out the way you're hoping. Not a 3% chance...0%.

Have to understand that some posters aren´t interested in the Mavs longterm situation. It´s legit to be a Luka fan. And for them any kind of win now move is the best possible outcome.
Don´t think they will be around if/when he leaves.
[-] The following 5 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • DrMav, KillerLeft, Mavs2021, Not an evil robot, RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: No. No, he's not. 

Lets see what happens. I think this trade is brilliant and puts us to contend and will provide this chance. DFS is clearly not an answer, we cant surround us with non-championship pieces that only can shoot and without clear other talent and expect to win a championship. Rodman is a A LOT like Kyrie in that sense. A talented, unique, and troublesome championship piece that needed to be surrounded by elite players that understood him. Lots of troubles off the court, but a clear winner.

Irving could leave after we win the title. Still a brilliant deal. And yes it will in that case make Luka more comfortable even with Kyrie leaving.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:39 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Have to understand that some posters aren´t interested in the Mavs longterm situation. It´s legit to be a Luka fan. And for them any kind of win now move is the best possible outcome.

I think everyone here is a Mavs guy (maybe not a few of our Slovenian friends, whom I like having around), but what I'm getting is how short people's memories are. 

We've SEEN this kind of desperation before and how it works out for teams. People are either unaware or willfully pretending not to understand what has just happened. This deal was an ender.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:34 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Going all-in on guys who can create?  Compensate for iffy defense with overwhelming offense?

Compensate? It creates the defense. The best defense is the best offense. Proof is barcelona 2008-2012. Just because nobody did it in basketball doesnt mean its not real. If you are able to score with ease each time, set the defense with comfort, there is no way you will lose in basketball, you will win each championship. Offense is the defense, and other way around. We have seen Luka and Brunson create what was top 3 defense in the league. I think that is replicapble with Kyrie. They will be even better offensively.

(02-05-2023, 05:39 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Have to understand that some posters aren´t interested in the Mavs longterm situation. It´s legit to be a Luka fan. And for them any kind of win now move is the best possible outcome.

This is all of sudden a personal pathway of discussion. This poster personality is this and this and that. Let's talk about Luka and Kyrie?
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:36 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: There is a 0% chance this works out the way you're hoping. Not a 3% chance...0%.

After this move, Ill increase my view of the title odds for Mavericks from 20% to now at 50%.

Irving is really that much better than SD and DFS, while increasing minutes of Green and Hardy is not only going to match what DFS does, but improve us.

There are two teams that can stop us, it's GSW and the Celtics. We have the best trio of stars. The other two teams have the better depth. It's going to get realy close and really fun to watch. Much closer matchup with GSW than it was last season.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:55 PM)burekemde Wrote: After this move, Ill increase my view of the title odds for Mavericks from 20% to now at 50%.

Well you might want to head to your bookie. You can still get 14-1 after the Irving trade, which puts us 8th behind....

Boston
Milwaukee
Denver
Golden State
Memphis
Philly
Clippers

Then if you thought the Mavs odds were 20% prior to the trade, you must have tied up all your life-savings in the Mavs championship bet already and we are here....

Like Reply
Y’all getting trolled
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:03 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Well you might want to head to your bookie. You can still get 14-1 after the Irving trade, which puts us 8th behind....

Boston
Milwaukee
Denver
Golden State
Memphis
Philly
Clippers

Then if you thought the Mavs odds were 20% prior to the trade, you must have tied up all your life-savings in the Mavs championship bet already and we are here....

We are better than last year with MVP Luka, Wood, Irving. Its GSW and Boston. Thats going to be it.

Ill put my money on Mavs. Not just in the speaking sense, but literally. Ill go down tomorrow and place a lot money on the Mavs to win it all.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • The Jom
Like Reply
An unprotected pick 6 years in the future is pretty insane
Decent chance Cuban is the only one left from now in the rubble
[-] The following 3 users Like Jym's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, KillerLeft, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 06:16 PM)Jym Wrote: An unprotected pick 6 years in the future is pretty insane
Decent chance Cuban is the only one left from now in the rumble

[Image: 057dfe195dd1b207ee4e5777ac3b345b.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:44 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Knowing him as I do, my guess is that he's wondering if the work he does on this board is even worthwhile at this point. The team yanked the rug out from under him today, killing what might've been his last shred of trust for them.

[Image: SadInsistentHog-max-1mb.gif]
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KirkSeriousFace/status/1622332531306528770?s=20&t=4w0LbdszteQC7yoVbmhunQ
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Not an evil robot, SleepingHero
Like Reply