Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(02-05-2023, 04:37 PM)cow Wrote: I'm also out on Nico.  Seems like we got taken to the woodshed...again.

Absolutely. Honest observers could see this coming a mile away. 

All of the smart people here (and that's not tongue in cheek, they ARE smart) were convinced Dallas could use this situation to their advantage, somehow, (Lol, there was discussion yesterday of Nic Claxton AND a first coming TO Dallas in this deal), but we've got to learn at some point that Cuban just doesn't have what it takes to run the team well. 

I think I'm just about done with the Mavs. Will probably stick around to see some of the clown show this creates out of morbid curiosity, but the part of me that's emotionally invested in the team's success has just about died on the vine.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil, From Dirk to Luka, Mavs2021, RoyTarpleysGhost, SleepingHero
Like Reply
Meanwhile, Kamm is on so bad of a bender that he hasn't changed the thread title.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Absolutely. Honest observers could see this coming a mile away. 

All of the smart people here (and that's not tongue in cheek, they ARE smart) were convinced Dallas could use this situation to their advantage, somehow, (Lol, there was discussion yesterday of Nic Claxton AND a first coming TO Dallas in this deal), but we've got to learn at some point that Cuban just doesn't have what it takes to run the team well. 

I think I'm just about done with the Mavs. Will probably stick around to see some of the clown show this creates out of morbid curiosity, but the part of me that's emotionally invested in the team's success has just about died on the vine.

We got by far the best player, that will understand Lukas highIQ scheme and game by far the most. We win this trade. Easy. Luka, Kyrie and Wood form the basis for a championship. Much more than Luka-SD-Wood-DFS do.
[-] The following 2 users Like burekemde's post:
  • rocky164, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:19 PM)cow Wrote: As horrible of a thought it would be to pay what we paid for Kyrie and have him walk, I'm not sure four years of him is a much better option either.  He seems to have a short shelf life with most teams.  This is a really thin needle to thread.

Well the OBVIOUS answer would be the immediate two year extension and I bet that was the Lakers final offer.  The Lakers wanted to see some kind of commitment from Kyrie for blowing assets on him. It´s called a compromise. It´s the same thing the Nets likely demanded and offered.

Kyrie Irving after ALL the shit he pulled for the last four years to miss about 200 games (flath earth, injuries, anti-vaxx, anti-semitism), still wanted to be paid the full four year max, and reacted outraged that nobody wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt.

No way any other team will attach themselves to this clown for four years.

ENTER Mark Cuban. I bet that is what Cuban promised him under the table.

...and in six months, you´ll all be outraged that nobody could see it coming. JaVale McGee was a 35 year old with a poor motor and on-court smarts that immediately retired, when he signed that three year deal. It´s called common sense. It´s human psychology 101.

Kyrie Irving is not going to change. You can only hope the Mavs win a championship this year before he officially gets his four year extension and Luka gets fed up with him.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • cow
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:42 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: Meanwhile, Kamm is on so bad of a bender that he hasn't changed the thread title.

Knowing him as I do, my guess is that he's wondering if the work he does on this board is even worthwhile at this point. The team yanked the rug out from under him today, killing what might've been his last shred of trust for them.

(02-05-2023, 04:43 PM)burekemde Wrote: We got by far the best player, that will understand Lukas highIQ scheme and game by far the most. We win this trade. Easy. Luka, Kyrie and Wood form the basis for a championship. Much more than Luka-SD-Wood-DFS do.

Sure, my guy. Whatever you say. 

Enjoy!
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:40 PM)burekemde Wrote: A+. If Irving is a fit, he will stay. 

Zero worries about fit.  Kyrie was wonderful when Harden was traded to the Nets.  He's skilled enough to play on or off ball and is willing to do so for talent on his level.  I think you'll see the same thing with Luka who has willingly deferred to much, much, much less talented players.  

The issue is the price we paid and will Kyrie stay on the floor because of his own foolishness.

(02-05-2023, 04:43 PM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Well the OBVIOUS answer would be the immediate two year extension..

The only thing that would have made this palatable along with protections on '29.  Great post.
Like Reply
It's a risky move, but it's not that we give up our complete future for him. This can also be an indicator that we are slowly going all in for a contender.

Kyrie on the court is basically the best thing we could wanted. Luka and Kyrie backcourt duo is the best in the league. 

The next thing is to extend him and Wood (we have bird rights for both) and hope he doesn't cause too much drama. Covid permissions are over, so he won't be sitting like he was in Brooklyn.

I'm not expecting anything else to the TDL, but i'm really thinking that in the summer we can pull off a big trade for Siakam and Anuoby when we got future picks back to trade.

And ''Big 3'' of Luka, Kyrie, Siakam/Anuoby is surrely putting us on the positions for contending.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Has it sunk in yet that they traded a 2029 UNPROTECTED first in this deal?

Do we all understand that there's a good chance Luka won't be here at that point, and that this might be the league's worst team that season? 

I wouldn't have traded that pick, under those conditions, for Giannis.

Wait? Unprotected?
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:41 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: All of the smart people here (and that's not tongue in cheek, they ARE smart) were convinced Dallas could use this situation to their advantage, somehow, (Lol, there was discussion yesterday of Nic Claxton AND a first coming TO Dallas in this deal), but we've got to learn at some point that Cuban just doesn't have what it takes to run the team well. 

LMAO

It’s the internet. You don’t have to be so nice to people that were so hilariously clueless.  This is the time to dunk on them.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:45 PM)cow Wrote: Zero worries about fit.  Kyrie was wonderful when Harden was traded to the Nets.  He's skilled enough to play on or off ball and is willing to do so for talent on his level.  I think you'll see the same thing with Luka who has willingly deferred to much, much, much less talented players.  

The issue is the price we paid and will Kyrie stay on the floor because of his own foolishness.

I was always impressed by Kyrie in the games we played against them. I never watched him in other non-Mavs games. But from those, especially the last one in my memory, it didnt take long to figure out he is 10x times player than SD. This is entirely different level of talent. And Im/was really impressed what SD did here and he was also a fit along Luka.

Wood is a fantastic fit as well.

I think the team is building players in the team that are a fit. And I believe DFS was never a true fit, despite his dedication, the 3&D concept around Luka is/was a complete misfit. All that space left from Luka is much more efficiently used in other ways than just shooting, and DFS was quiet ackward at that part. He ended up being a corner shooter and nothing more than that.

Irving and SD are similar players. Irving is just on a different talent level.

The risk I agree is Irvings personality. But the more fit he is with Luka, the less likely are chances for issues arising. With Porzinigis that is the dominant physical player with less bbIQ, it was a misfit, and this just accelerated the issues. A clear fit is always going to increase chances of positive pathway.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • MAVS-SLO
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:50 PM)khaled1987 Wrote: Wait? Unprotected?

That's my understanding, yes. I think it was @"omahen" who pointed that out. 

Seriously, this is the WORST thing they could have possibly done.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/1...4055592961
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:53 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: That's my understanding, yes. I think it was @"omahen" who pointed that out. 

Seriously, this is the WORST thing they could have possibly done.

2029 is the last pick we can trade, right? 7 years rule and so.
So one of two things, it is either unprotected as you say, which is bad. Or it is protected and can't be conveyed after 2029 which would be brilliant

Edit: Shams said unprotected
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:49 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: but i'm really thinking that in the summer we can pull off a big trade for Siakam and Anuoby when we got future picks back to trade.

We just traded most of those future picks Smile Mavs can trade exactly two picks in the summer. Even if they could trade four of them, it would not be enough for both guys you mentioned.

No half measures. All in now and try to win a chip this year. This has to be the only way that makes sense
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:53 PM)burekemde Wrote: The risk I agree is Irvings personality. But the more fit he is with Luka, the less likely are chances for issues arising.

Kyrie flamed out with LeBron.  Kyrie flamed out with Tatum, Brown and Smart.  Kyrie flamed out with Durant and Harden.  Kyrie flamed Durant and Simmons.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • KillerLeft, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:57 PM)omahen Wrote: We just traded most of those future picks Smile Mavs can trade exactly two picks in the summer. Even if they could trade four of them, it would not be enough for both guys you mentioned.

No half measures. All in now and try to win a chip this year. This has to be the only way that makes sense
Yep, it’s gonna be Wood/THJ/Green/Hardy/27 for Siakam and a couple small contracts.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:57 PM)omahen Wrote: We just traded most of those future picks Smile Mavs can trade exactly two picks in the summer. Even if they could trade four of them, it would not be enough for both guys you mentioned.

Has there ever been a team without a single tradeable 1st or 2nd round pick?
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:04 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Has there ever been a team without a single tradeable 1st or 2nd round pick?

I hope we find out.  I was all about keeping our future firsts but now that '29 is gone (GONE), it's time to "fuck them picks" mode.  Let's see what kind of disaster Nico and Cuban go negotiate for '27.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:57 PM)cow Wrote: Kyrie flamed out with LeBron.  Kyrie flamed out with Tatum, Brown and Smart.  Kyrie flamed out with Durant and Harden.  Kyrie flamed Durant and Simmons.

Luka is Luka. MJ also had to deal with Pippen and Rodman with plenty of flaming. As long as the fit is there, and we win. There will be drama. But the best players do come with big personalities and strong opinions. The question is more, is there a fit or not that can calm that, contain it. The wins can and will contain this. The fit is there (IMO), but the last two remaining spots will reveal if we can go all the way. Im sure Luka, Wood, Kyrie, are able to.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 05:07 PM)burekemde Wrote: Luka is Luka. MJ also had to deal with Pippen and Rodman with plenty of flaming. As long as the fit is there, and we win. There will be drama. But the best players do come with big personalities and strong opinions. The question is more, is there a fit or not that can calm that, contain it. The wins can and will contain this. The fit is there (IMO), but the last two remaining spots will reveal if we can go all the way. Im sure Luka, Wood, Kyrie, are able to.

Kyrie fit with those teams and KD was by his own design.  No one questions Kyrie's talent or ability to fit with other superstars.  He might have played with a more diverse cast of superstars than any player I can think of off hand.  That's not the issue.

Pippen and Rodman are two of my favorite players ever and that's not a great comparison.  Those guys brought it every night and Pippen's blemish occurred while MJ was playing baseball and Phil called a last second shot for Tony instead of him.
Like Reply