Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
Kyrie won't re-sign here anyway, I'm already looking forward to the cap space...that's the biggest benefit
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/NBAonTNT/status/1622...OV2oMtAAAA
[-] The following 3 users Like MAVS-SLO's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost, Smitty, Tyler
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 03:54 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: According to Stein that isn´t a given.

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/...1413701633

I respect Stein and him telling us what is being said (at least to him).

But according to what they paid to get him, barring him being a disaster between now and then, you can rest assured they will do "Whatever It Takes" to sign Kyrie to a new deal. They aren't stripping all these assets for a player that they aren't internally committed to keeping for the long term. Even Cuban isn't THAT stupid. (Nor is Kyrie's agent.)

I think Cuban's angle via MS is an attempt to own some leverage with Kyrie, a form of pre-negotiation through the press. "We might give him something, but certainly not everything, we might offer 2 years." And I think it's weak and pointless, which seems par for the course when Cuban negotiates, but it is what it is.

I wanted Kyrie to come with an e&t, 2 more years already set in stone, as condition for the cost. But the horse is already out of the barn, it would seem, so that is that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:08 PM)F Gump Wrote: I respect Stein and him telling us what is being said (at least to him).

But according to what they paid to get him, barring him being a disaster between now and then, you can rest assured they will do "Whatever It Takes" to sign Kyrie to a new deal. They aren't stripping all these assets for a player that they aren't internally committed to keeping for the long term. Even Cuban isn't THAT stupid. (Nor is Kyrie's agent.)

I think Cuban's angle via MS is an attempt to own some leverage with Kyrie, a form of pre-negotiation through the press. "We might give him something, but certainly not everything, we might offer 2 years." And I think it's weak and pointless, which seems par for the course when Cuban negotiates, but it is what it is.

I wanted Kyrie to come with an e&t, 2 more years already set in stone, as condition for the cost. But the horse is already out of the barn, it would seem, so that is that.

Lets just say that the Mavs are experts when it comes to letting players walk for nothing. Unless I see a signed contract I am not go to trust any word coming out of Cuban´s or Harrison´s mouth.
[-] The following 3 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BoredAssistant, From Dirk to Luka, SleepingHero
Like Reply
DFS and a 1st

@"KillerLeft" was right the Mavs would trade real assets for Kyrie.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:08 PM)F Gump Wrote: I wanted Kyrie to come with an e&t, 2 more years already set in stone, as condition for the cost. But the horse is already out of the barn, it would seem, so that is that.

This trade is an F because he isn't coming with an extension.  Unprotect first and two assets that could probably net you a first each.  And I'd counter that Cuban is that stupid.  Nothing in recent history says otherwise.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • RoyTarpleysGhost
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:08 PM)F Gump Wrote: I respect Stein and him telling us what is being said (at least to him).

They can't do a 4 year deal now anyway. I guess they are also not really allowed to announce it in advance.

In any case, I think Mavs have until end of this season. So Irving has the motivation to behave to get his huge contract he can't get anywhere else. We can only hope 6 months of behaving Irving will be enough to win it all. I doubt it, but at least it is interesting.
Like Reply
I just saw we’re getting a Morris brother. 

Damnit
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • MFFL
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:16 PM)omahen Wrote: They can't do a 4 year deal now anyway. I guess they are also not really allowed to announce it in advance.

In any case, I think Mavs have until end of this season. So Irving has the motivation to behave to get his huge contract he can't get anywhere else. We can only hope 6 months of behaving Irving will be enough to win it all. I doubt it, but at least it is interesting.

As horrible of a thought it would be to pay what we paid for Kyrie and have him walk, I'm not sure four years of him is a much better option either.  He seems to have a short shelf life with most teams.  This is a really thin needle to thread.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 03:32 PM)F Gump Wrote: If Mavs don't re-sign or extend any of Kyrie, Wood, or Powell, then they will have 20M-ish in cap room this summer, with

C-   Maxi, McGee
PF- Bertans
SF -Green, Bullock
SG- Hardaway, Hardy
PG- Luka

They will give Irving a 4-year Max. No matter what happens. It's already done in their minds. This is Porzingis, all over again.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Mavs2021, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:19 PM)cow Wrote: As horrible of a thought it would be to pay what we paid for Kyrie and have him walk, I'm not sure four years of him is a much better option either.  He seems to have a short shelf life with most teams.  This is a really thin needle to thread.

I said it before, I think Mavs have a 6 months window. Until the end of the season.

There is also a way out - if Irving behaves and plays well, someone might be willing to give assets in the SnT. That would be the best outcome imho
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:22 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: They will give Irving a 4-year Max. No matter what happens. It's already done in their minds. This is Porzingis, all over again.

KP was a model citizen so this could be similar but also way different.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
Mavs (really Cuban) negotiate against themselves and can’t read the room as usual. 

LAL could not do a direct deal with BRK that would satisfy what the Nets needed. 

The Mavs were actually in the drivers seat.  They had the piece BRK most needed in a Kyrie trade in Dinwiddie.  They were in a position to either land Kyrie or facilitate and land assets from LAL. 

Instead the Nets manage to extract not one…but TWO additional assets in DFS and the ‘29 1st…and they do so without even having to take on any of the Mavs salary bloat. 

Cuban sucks at this.  Hiring a sneaker salesman doesn’t appear to have fixed that. 

Now they have to hit HRs in the next 18 months with their 2025 and 2027 firsts and what will be expiring deals.
[-] The following 5 users Like MaxiThreeba's post:
  • From Dirk to Luka, Mavs2021, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs, SleepingHero
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:18 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: I just saw we’re getting a Morris brother. 

Damnit
Send him into a Clippers game to take out his brother!
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:23 PM)cow Wrote: KP was a model citizen so this could be similar but also way different.

Sure, but I just mean they did the calculus beforehand, like with KP. They decided to meet his contractual demands BEFORE making the trade. Whether or not they've "assured" him of it is semantics and irrelevant. 

They WILL give him what he wants, contractually, and he WILL sign it, because not many, if any, other teams are that stupid. Now, what happens next October, I can't predict. Will he find a way to stay here and steal Cuban's money for not playing, or will he try to force another trade to a team where he can steal money while hanging out with his friends? It might be interesting to find out. 

Regardless, this is the single worst thing the Mavs could've done. It's amazing to me that anyone can spend as much time as we do observing how the Mavs and NBA work and somehow think this is a good thing. This is an extinction level event that will prematurely end the Luka era in Dallas. That era is dead already, just wakling around on its feet still.
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:26 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: Send him into a Clippers game to take out his brother!

That should be his initiation. To prove he really belongs Smile
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Jmaciscool
Like Reply
Has it sunk in yet that they traded a 2029 UNPROTECTED first in this deal?

Do we all understand that there's a good chance Luka won't be here at that point, and that this might be the league's worst team that season? 

I wouldn't have traded that pick, under those conditions, for Giannis.
[-] The following 6 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • Branduil, dirkfansince1998, From Dirk to Luka, ItsGoTime, khaled1987, MaxiThreeba
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:29 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Sure, but I just mean they did the calculus beforehand, like with KP. They decided to meet his contractual demands BEFORE making the trade. Whether or not they've "assured" him of it is semantics and irrelevant. 

They WILL give him what he wants, contractually, and he WILL sign it, because not many, if any, other teams are that stupid. Now, what happens next October, I can't predict. Will he find a way to stay here and steal Cuban's money for not playing, or will he try to force another trade to a team where he can steal money while hanging out with his friends? It might be interesting to find out. 

Regardless, this is the single worst thing the Mavs could've done. It's amazing to me that anyone can spend as much time observing how the Mavs and NBA work and somehow think this is a good thing. This is an extinction level event that will prematurely end the Luka era in Dallas. That era is dead already, just waling around on its feet still.

I'm sad that the Dorian era is over too.  At least we still have the wounded German Shepard to cheer for.  

As soon as the news broke that Kyrie demanded a trade, I knew he was coming here.  I can't believe the price we paid though.  I think there is a small chance this could work at well.  Baggage aside, Kyrie is one of the most gifted players the basketball world has ever seen but that baggage is something else.  You'd have to hope against hope that Kyrie is "grown up" (or whatever turn of phrase you want to use) but the reason he is here in the first place disproves that.

I'm also out on Nico.  Seems like we got taken to the woodshed...again.

(02-05-2023, 04:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Has it sunk in yet that they traded a 2029 UNPROTECTED first in this deal?

Do we all understand that there's a good chance Luka won't be here at that point, and that this might be the league's worst team that season? 

As terrible as the deal is the positives are that you'll not have to see the Mavs flub that pick and you'll resupply the draft pick war chest when they trade Luka.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • KillerLeft, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:32 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Has it sunk in yet that they traded a 2029 UNPROTECTED first in this deal?

Nets know what they are doing because they have made the same mistake in the past. They gifted Brown and Tatum to the Celtics. Ironically another first from the Nets-Celtics trade was included in the Cavs-Celtics trade that send Irving to Boston (Colin Sexton).
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-05-2023, 04:16 PM)cow Wrote: This trade is an F because he isn't coming with an extension.  Unprotect first and two assets that could probably net you a first each.  And I'd counter that Cuban is that stupid.  Nothing in recent history says otherwise.

A+. If Irving is a fit, he will stay. There is risk involved with any trade. If they are a fit, it will be an A+. DFS, SD, and none of those picks, will with high probability not be better than Kyrie.

IMO. Luka fits with skill-players, this is what we have seen thus far. bbIQ is key to understand playing along with Luka. Brunson, Wood, SD, all fit his game. Luka will fit even more with Kyrie. Skills-wise Kyrie is clearly the best of those. Luka may add another dimension to Kyries game that Durant was unable to.
Like Reply