Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Kyrie Irving: we already named a city after him!
(04-05-2023, 09:12 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'd be all over 10 for 19 plus Garuba.  He's got a lot of interesting tools.  Moving some money to Houston would be a huge help in terms of exceptions and S&T possibilities.

If I had Garuba (kind of a Green starter kit), I'd probably try to use 19 and 2027 for a Turner-like center.  Win now and add to the youth movement at the same time.  I'm not against Green.  In fact, I see that as a strong possibility.  But, Green plays a lot more time with Looney than without.  If Green at center is a specialty lineup, then, we still don't have the needed center for the rest of the minutes.

I think you could probably take Lively at 19 to address center from a youth standpoint and still use 2027 + filler to try to get a vet added to your front court as well.  If you came into next season signing Kyrie and adding Garuba/Lively/player x to your front court it would end up being a much needed defensive upgrade.
Like Reply
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/unfor...in-dallas/
Like Reply
Did Kyrie lose his deal with Nike completely?  The articles I read only said Nike suspended their relationship with him and shelved the Kyrie 8 release.  That's around $11m a year if they totally dropped him.
Like Reply
I remember reading something that they chose not to renew his contract but I'm not 100% sure. 

I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped him completely though.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/its...ngs-fault/
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...13057?s=20
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Sounds like they’re in the dark just like they were with Brunson.
[-] The following 2 users Like RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • ballsrchr, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(04-11-2023, 03:54 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Sounds like they’re in the dark just like they were with Brunson.

Yeah I have no confidence in this organization for anything regarding free agency. 

Ludicrious these guys get paid 7 figure salaries.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/newlyalex/status/164...60565?s=20
Like Reply
Rachel Nichols on Twitter: "Jason Kidd on Headliners, discussing his approach to coaching Kyrie Irving and the Mavericks' attempts to retain Kyrie in free agency: "We're going to do everything to keep him, and we hope that we've done everything to make him comfortable, and want to be a Mav for life." https://t.co/qbbRPBd5ab" / Twitter
Like Reply
(05-05-2023, 05:55 AM)omahen Wrote: Rachel Nichols on Twitter: "Jason Kidd on Headliners, discussing his approach to coaching Kyrie Irving and the Mavericks' attempts to retain Kyrie in free agency: "We're going to do everything to keep him, and we hope that we've done everything to make him comfortable, and want to be a Mav for life." https://t.co/qbbRPBd5ab" / Twitter

I understand all the talk about Sign and trade deals for Kyrie.  This is a message board and it is fun.  But, once the trade was made, the Mavs were all in with Kyrie.  Even with the results after the trade being bad.   Mavs offseason priority 1, 2 and 3 is re-signing Kyrie.  Whether that is the right direction is debatable.  

I will also add, If Kyrie decides not to re-sign with the Mavs I think the Mavs will not be the first team to know.    I say this because my confidence in their competence is at a all time low.
Like Reply
I think it would be a fascinating exercise to figure out what an offer to Kyrie would be that takes into account his "disrespect" level of tolerance, but pays homage to what the actual market might be for him out there. There has got to be a "safe" number for his starting salary that gets us to be able to spend the full MLE and BAE comfortably. Pretty sure his full max bid on the market gets him $202Mish. If that's the case, is any team gonna pay that and will he want to play for the team that does (looking at you Houston)? First thought with that is we can play with the years and max raises to beat that offer while making the first year much lower. We can beat that offer by starting at $36M per year with 8% max raises ($211M). Is that disrespect? Next the flat amount to beat would be $41M per year for 5 years ($405M). That's a lot more stomachable for both sides, but is it low enough to get us comfortably enough below the apron to utilize the full MLE and BAE?

I'm using Sportrac for all my numbers. Oof, those numbers really add up. With that 41 starting # I got to $160.5M (against $162M first tax apron) really fast and not so sure I got all the numbers. I got all 8 current contracts, #10 pick, Kyrie's $41M, Powell at vet min and 4 Incomplete Roster Charges (rounding up to $4M). The starting at $36M doesn't get us enough below either.

I guess we can get there with Bullock and Bertans ways to get them off or lower on the books, would want to know what targets we're getting before I make that decision.
Like Reply
(05-12-2023, 10:32 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I think it would be a fascinating exercise to figure out what an offer to Kyrie would be that takes into account his "disrespect" level of tolerance, but pays homage to what the actual market might be for him out there. There has got to be a "safe" number for his starting salary that gets us to be able to spend the full MLE and BAE comfortably. Pretty sure his full max bid on the market gets him $202Mish. If that's the case, is any team gonna pay that and will he want to play for the team that does (looking at you Houston)? First thought with that is we can play with the years and max raises to beat that offer while making the first year much lower. We can beat that offer by starting at $36M per year with 8% max raises ($211M). Is that disrespect? Next the flat amount to beat would be $41M per year for 5 years ($405M). That's a lot more stomachable for both sides, but is it low enough to get us comfortably enough below the apron to utilize the full MLE and BAE?

I'm using Sportrac for all my numbers. Oof, those numbers really add up. With that 41 starting # I got to $160.5M (against $162M first tax apron) really fast and not so sure I got all the numbers. I got all 8 current contracts, #10 pick, Kyrie's $41M, Powell at vet min and 4 Incomplete Roster Charges (rounding up to $4M). The starting at $36M doesn't get us enough below either.

I guess we can get there with Bullock and Bertans ways to get them off or lower on the books, would want to know what targets we're getting before I make that decision.

Just need to get Dirk in the room during the negotiations.  

"Hey, Dirk!  Is it a good idea to take less than market value?  Do you regret that now?  When you go to a restaurant in Dallas, do you ever have to pay?  Do most people like you? If you asked Mark for a $25mil/yr consulting gig, would he give it to you?"
Like Reply
(05-12-2023, 12:08 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: Just need to get Dirk in the room during the negotiations.  

"Hey, Dirk!  Is it a good idea to take less than market value?  Do you regret that now?  When you go to a restaurant in Dallas, do you ever have to pay?  Do most people like you? If you asked Mark for a $25mil/yr consulting gig, would he give it to you?"
I thought I established that the most he can make on the market was ~$202M. I was coming to the table with $205-211M. How is that underpaying market price?
Like Reply
(05-12-2023, 12:21 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I thought I established that the most he can make on the market was ~$202M. I was coming to the table with $205-211M. How is that underpaying market price?

I'm arguing for Kyrie to accept less than market, in order to be on a team that can win a championship.

So less than you're proposing.
Like Reply
(05-12-2023, 12:25 PM)DallasMaverick Wrote: I'm arguing for Kyrie to accept less than market, in order to be on a team that can win a championship.

So less than you're proposing.
Gotcha.

I think there is a world that noone is willing to give him that $202M. Possibly closer to a $180M deal. That’s why I was saying the fine line between not disrespecting him and not bidding against yourself too much.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...5618781184
Like Reply
Kyrie Irving does NOT have a handshake agreement with the Dallas Mavericks on a 4 year max contract, per
@MikeAScotto

^ the tweet above. I don't know. Stein says one thing, Scotto says another. I hate the wild train of Kyrie.
Like Reply
(06-01-2023, 11:06 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: Kyrie Irving does NOT have a handshake agreement with the Dallas Mavericks on a 4 year max contract, per
@MikeAScotto

^ the tweet above. I don't know. Stein says one thing, Scotto says another. I hate the wild train of Kyrie.

Handshake agreement or not, I'm not sweating Kyrie's free agency. Cuban can't afford to lose the 2nd best player again. He will offer the max (or very close to it) and Kyrie will take it because no other decent team can offer that much. He knows he can demand a trade later if things don't work out. That's what really concerns me a year or two down the road.
Like Reply
Some good reading material

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nba/wh...ot-of-love
[-] The following 2 users Like MFFL's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply