Poll: Delon Nickname
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Timeskipper
40.00%
4 40.00%
4thDimension
20.00%
2 20.00%
Other
40.00%
4 40.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Delon "Warp" Wright: All things from the 4th Dimension
DEEE WAR PEE is weird to me.
Like Reply
you dont say Pee.... its a puh sound war-ph
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 01:19 AM)SportPsychMav Wrote: DEEE WAR PEE is weird to me.

I don't think that's what he means. :-)

I think he just means that the last consonant sound gets hit hard in a chant.

And hey, Psych, you don't have to use a nickname just because Magick and I like it!
Like Reply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWDCeBBRVhQ

you can hear the separation in how she pronounces it and thats all I mean
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 01:23 AM)Magickian Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWDCeBBRVhQ

you can hear the separation in how she pronounces it and thats all I mean

Yeah, warp is one syllable.  Like harp or tarp just with a different "a" sound.
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 02:00 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Yeah, warp is one syllable.  Like harp or tarp just with a different "a" sound.

yeah I conceded that is the "official" standing on them, but they clearly each have two sounds so I think it could be argued it SOUNDS like two syllables...
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 02:01 AM)Magickian Wrote:
(12-02-2019, 02:00 AM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: Yeah, warp is one syllable.  Like harp or tarp just with a different "a" sound.

yeah I conceded that is the "official" standing on them, but they clearly each have two sounds so I think it could be argued it SOUNDS like two syllables...

All good.  I actually don't remember if you are from the Dallas/US area.  So many that post here are from other countries.  I guess I could go check the "where are you from" thread!  haha.  Thought maybe there was a different way that was being pronounced!
Like Reply
For chants, it can be 2, 3 or 4 syllables IMO. 
(edit)
2: D Warp stomp stomp, D Warp stomp stomp.
3: Let's go Mavs
4: Let's go mav ricks

can also do the 2 syllable like De Fense.
Like Reply
I keep beating this drum. Wright is the unsung hero of this team. He has so many deflections, sneaky rebounds, great transition defense. It´s beautiful. Unbelieveable is his offense right now. He hits 36% of his threes, almost noone expected a jump like that. And the most suprising thing to me are his drives to the rim. He gets by his defenders so easiely and finishes so comfortably around the rim. He really should do more of it. He is such a bargain on the contract he is on, too.

Kudos to Delon!!
Like Reply
(12-29-2019, 05:41 PM)Thukydides Wrote: I keep beating this drum. Wright is the unsung hero of this team. He has so many deflections, sneaky rebounds, great transition defense. It´s beautiful. Unbelieveable is his offense right now. He hits 36% of his threes, almost noone expected a jump like that. And the most suprising thing to me are his drives to the rim. He gets by his defenders so easiely and finishes so comfortably around the rim. He really should do more of it. He is such a bargain on the contract he is on, too.

Kudos to Delon!!

Most impressive thing about him is his control of the flow of time.

4.8 ast/to
Like Reply
D Wright Stuff :-)
Like Reply
http://twitter.com/MavsFansForLife/statu...9225444352
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(01-05-2020, 01:13 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: http://twitter.com/MavsFansForLife/statu...9225444352

I hope this is a wrong guess, because who the hell is Wright to wave his coach off. I can't imagine that being true. Right or wrong, career back up player has absolutely no right to waive anyone off.
Like Reply
I would guess Wright said he couldn't go because of his foot injury. Only guessing but maybe Carlisle wanted Wright in rather than Reaves for the couple of late fouling situations.
Like Reply
(01-05-2020, 01:59 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I would guess Wright said he couldn't go because of his foot injury. Only guessing but maybe Carlisle wanted Wright in rather than Reaves for the couple of late fouling situations.

As I said, I can't imagine Wright waiving Carlisle off. Carlisle makes decisions and is responsible for them. If decisions will be bad, he will answer for them and/or lose his job. Wright is not the one Carlisle answers too. There is time and place to have player-coach discussions where things can be put on the table. Publicly rejecting coach decisions is not it.
Like Reply
(01-05-2020, 01:59 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: I would guess Wright said he couldn't go because of his foot injury. Only guessing but maybe Carlisle wanted Wright in rather than Reaves for the couple of late fouling situations.

This is my take too. I think the Tweeter is just way off in his guess.
Like Reply
Cato interview with Wright.  Nothing special, but it got me to thinking.  We brought him on (and paid him $9.5mm) to take on a starter role here.  He says he'd prefer to start and so neither the team nor the player got what they wanted.

We (collectively) almost never put Wright in fantasy trades, yet his stats are incredibly consistent and good (not great, but good).  He might actually have some value as a backup on a good team or a manager of a transitioning team.  People often talk about consolidating our assets (which basically means we have too many secondary ball handlers in Wright, Curry, Brunson and Barea).  Brunson's time with Luka is a net negative, but he does fine when not paired with Luka.  Wright plays well next to Luka, but so does Curry.  The question is whether we really need Wright and Curry or could use the asset elsewhere.  

https://theathletic.com/1511465/2020/01/...s-at-fifa/
Like Reply
(01-06-2020, 07:41 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Cato interview with Wright.  Nothing special, but it got me to thinking.  We brought him on (and paid him $9.5mm) to take on a starter role here.  He says he'd prefer to start and so neither the team nor the player got what they wanted.

We (collectively) almost never put Wright in fantasy trades, yet his stats are incredibly consistent and good (not great, but good).  He might actually have some value as a backup on a good team or a manager of a transitioning team.  People often talk about consolidating our assets (which basically means we have too many secondary ball handlers in Wright, Curry, Brunson and Barea).  Brunson's time with Luka is a net negative, but he does fine when not paired with Luka.  Wright plays well next to Luka, but so does Curry.  The question is whether we really need Wright and Curry or could use the asset elsewhere.  

https://theathletic.com/1511465/2020/01/...s-at-fifa/
Most of my trade ideas has centered around this idea. I think both Brunson and Wright could benefit more by being on different teams. So I propose trades that gets value out of either of them.

Edit: Looks like Wright prefers to start and run the offense too, which is more useful information since this is Luka's team to run. Looks like I should focus on getting value out of Wright more than Brunson.
Like Reply
(01-06-2020, 07:41 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Cato interview with Wright.  Nothing special, but it got me to thinking.  We brought him on (and paid him $9.5mm) to take on a starter role here.  He says he'd prefer to start and so neither the team nor the player got what they wanted.

The problem with him I see is that he is a very reluctant shooter. So if you replace THJ with Wright the offensive capability around Luka would be very low. Good teams will not just leave players wide open all the time so he could have time to shoot. Here is the difference THJ brings - he is able to shoot it with very little space. I guess Wright would be more suitable to replace DFS in the starting line-up, but he has excellent season so far and is arguably better player.

Another thing I noticed about Wright is that he is a bad lob passer - tried couple of times with Powell and failed miserably. Haven't seen him tried afterwards. 

All in all, I don't think he can be more than a back up for a contender unless his offense improves. I don't think Mavs would have a problem replacing his production, so if a right opportunity comes along, I wouldn't hesitate to trade him. I doubt he has a very positive trade value - we might get more suitable back up player and that's it. Here is how much back up point guards are paid:
Atl - none!
Bos - 12,5 (Smart)
Nets - 10,6 (Dinwidie)
Cha - both PG start
Chi - rookie (Dunn)
Den - 1,5 (Morris)
Det - 7,3 (Rose)
GSW - both PG start (when healthy)
Hou - 2,1 (Rivers)
Ind - 3,5 (McConnel)
LAC - rookie (Shamet) or 8 (Williams)
LAL - 2,75 (Caruso)
Mem - 8,5 (Jones)
Mia - 19 (Dragic)
Mil - 9 (Hill)
Min - 1,8 (Napier)
Pel - both start (Ball and Jrue), next in line is min contract Jackson
NYK - rookie (Smokes)
OKC - 16 (Schroeder)
Orl - 7,25 (Augustin)
Phi - min contract
Pho - min contract
Por - rookie (Simmons)
Sac - 12 (Joseph)
Was - 6 (Smith)
Uta - 13 (Clarkson)
Tor - both PG start
SAS- rookie (White)
Cle - not relevant (contract mess with all the tanking, gazillion PG on the team)

With some exceptions, back up PG that are paid similar then Wright or more, have a much bigger role and impact on the team.
Like Reply
(01-06-2020, 10:30 AM)omahen Wrote: All in all, I don't think he can be more than a back up for a contender unless his offense improves. I don't think Mavs would have a problem replacing his production, so if a right opportunity comes along, I wouldn't hesitate to trade him. I doubt he has a very positive trade value - we might get more suitable back up player and that's it.
I think this is an off evaluation. If we're talking about a Lakers contender type team, I think he would be just fine as a starter for them. I don't hesitate to trade anyone on the team that is not named Luka or Kristaps (well maybe Maxi, because he is just one of those guys to me). 

Why do you doubt he has positive trade value to a team wanting a PG? I mean, if Min is looking for a PG and the rumor has them wanting DSJ, Wright should be big time value. His stint in Mem showed he could start and be really productive doing so. He doesn't do so here because Luka is our guy doing that. That isn't a knock on him that an MVP candidate is playing his role.

Min and RoCo is exactly who I'm targeting with Wright. RoCo and Dieng for Wright, Lee and GSW second is the value I'm looking to extract. I'm willing to give up more seconds (or if they require it, JJ) and I'm going in without proposing the GSW second to target that as the final piece to the negotiation (while being willing to give more value).

That trade drops $30M off their cap within the next 3 years, with $22.6M this coming offseason. That is significant enough money to add plenty enough value in a RoCo for Wright trade, esp since they have their RoCo replacement on the roster already.

Luka/JB
THJ/Curry
RoCo or DFS/DFS or RoCo
KP/Maxi
Dieng/Powell

That is the best bench in the league, and a dieng good starting team as well.
Like Reply