Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 17: DAL (9-8) @ BOS (14-4) | 112-125 loss
Celtics not missing a beat despite that Udoka brouhaha..Once you have a great team, the rest are just details.
Like Reply
They're a good team, just not top tier yet.
Like Reply
Bertans sums it all up nicely.
Like Reply
I liked this game. The first 2/3 was ugly, but then Kidd ran the Wood at 5 lineup down the stretch, giving it a long time, and they almost got back in it. The problems shifted from offense to defense while that group was out there, but from where I sit that’s a welcome change. Given time, I think that lineup’s d will improve, and when Wood is at the 5 his chemistry with Luka is obvious.

Maybe Kidd is finally figuring it out.
[-] The following 5 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • BigDirk41, BolsDamols, hakeemfaan, Mavsfan12, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply
Mavs actually won the 3rd and 4th quarters, its the perennial slow starts that they cannot afford to have.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BolsDamols's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 09:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I liked this game. The first 2/3 was ugly, but then Kidd ran the Wood at 5 lineup down the stretch, giving it a long time, and they almost got back in it. The problems shifted from offense to defense while that group was out there, but from where I sit that’s a welcome change. Given time, I think that lineup’s d will improve, and when Wood is at the 5 his chemistry with Luka is obvious.

The question is if you can survive the Luka/Wood tandem defensively, but I don't think the team has a choice.  It's kind of sad that we looked best defensively in the 2nd half with Luka, Wood and THJ on the floor together.
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 09:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I liked this game. The first 2/3 was ugly, but then Kidd ran the Wood at 5 lineup down the stretch, giving it a long time, and they almost got back in it. The problems shifted from offense to defense while that group was out there, but from where I sit that’s a welcome change. Given time, I think that lineup’s d will improve, and when Wood is at the 5 his chemistry with Luka is obvious.

Except SD+RB+DFS has been bad and yet Kidd keeps leaning on it when he HAS other options.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 10:04 PM)Kammrath Wrote: Except SD+RB+DFS has been bad and yet Kidd keeps leaning on it when he HAS other options.

C’mon man. For better or for worse, and mostly for worse this year, these are 3 key pieces of our rotation.   You can mask that only so much.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 10:25 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: C’mon man. For better or for worse, and mostly for worse this year, these are 3 key pieces of our rotation.   You can mask that only so much.

You do NOT have to play them all together. Play Green, play Bertans, play Maxi when healthy, play Frank, play DP....keep Luka and Wood on the floor and figure out another three to go with them. None of those guys are talented enough or elite enough to warrant the minutes they keep getting despite SUCKING.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 10:01 PM)cow Wrote: The question is if you can survive the Luka/Wood tandem defensively, but I don't think the team has a choice.

We can't survive what we're currently doing so there is no reason not to try it. Our "best" defenders have not been good defensively and they've been even worse on offense. Having a good defense won't matter if Luka has to kill himself to keep us close on the other end.

Time to put our best offensive players on the floor together and see if we can cobble together a passable defense around them. It's ridiculous that Kidd has taken so long to figure that out. 

I'd like to try Luka/Dinwiddie/DFS/Maxi/Wood as the starters. Green, Hardaway, Bullock, Bertans, and Powell/McGee off the bench. Or swap in Green for Dinwiddie if you want more defense for the starters and more offense for the bench.
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 10:01 PM)cow Wrote: The question is if you can survive the Luka/Wood tandem defensively,

No the question is can you survive the RB/DFS tandem defensively. Worst duo defensively on the whole team (of tandems with over 160 mins together) giving up 115.0 pts/100 possessions. Luka/Wood only gives up 110.0. Way better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Today

Green on: 102.3 DefRtg
Green off: 148.1 DefRtg

Just play the best defensive player in the league
[-] The following 2 users Like sefant's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Kammrath
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 10:31 PM)Kammrath Wrote: You do NOT have to play them all together. Play Green, play Bertans, play Maxi when healthy, play Frank, play DP....keep Luka and Wood on the floor and figure out another three to go with them. None of those guys are talented enough or elite enough to warrant the minutes they keep getting despite SUCKING.

The problem is the options you mention all have some glaring flaws of their own. This seems like the backup QB syndrome. The real issue is you look at the Celts roster and ours and see how bad it is here.

(11-23-2022, 10:44 PM)Kammrath Wrote: No the question is can you survive the RB/DFS tandem defensively. Worst duo defensively on the whole team (of tandems with over 160 mins together) giving up 115.0 pts/100 possessions. Luka/Wood only gives up 110.0. Way better.

The bigger issue is when paired with Luka and JB you could get away with some of these lineups. Now the pure 3D guys are getting exposed when good offenses come to play. The other team will get theirs on the offensive end and on the defensive end they have no worries about these guys as they have no versatility.
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 10:47 PM)sefant Wrote: Just play the best defensive player in the league

And second best three point shooter in the whole NBA.

Or freaking play the washed up old guys who can no longer play D or shoot a 3.
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Put me down for the Maxi, Wood, DFS, Green, Luka lineup. Can mix up looks with Maxi and Wood both being able to screen and roll or pop to 3 point line. All 5 can shoot. Great length on defense. Green or DFS guard point of attack. Din, Tim, Reggie and Powell with some Bertans and occasional Frank. McGee if the matchup dictates.
[-] The following 2 users Like MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • Paul Gasol, rocky164
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 10:44 PM)Kammrath Wrote: No the question is can you survive the RB/DFS tandem defensively. Worst duo defensively on the whole team (of tandems with over 160 mins together) giving up 115.0 pts/100 possessions. Luka/Wood only gives up 110.0. Way better.

No, my original question still stands.  If you think Luka or Wood have the defensive capabilities of Dorian, I'm not sure what to tell you.  You also have to figure defensive assignments. But I guess running to analytics sites is easier than using your own eyes.
Like Reply
Did DFS just pack it in after getting paid?

He’s gone from favorite, hopefully lifetime Mav  to a bum. You can barely notice he’s playing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RoyTarpleysGhost's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 11:09 PM)cow Wrote: But I guess running to analytics sites is easier than using your own eyes.

I AM using my eyes. The numbers just happen to agree with me.
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(11-23-2022, 11:09 PM)RoyTarpleysGhost Wrote: Did DFS just pack it in after getting paid?

He’s gone from favorite, hopefully lifetime Mav  to a bum. You can barely notice he’s playing.

He was pretty key cog for that unit that got us within 10 tonight.  Two big blocks, one covering for Josh who got dusted which I guess is better than the bone headed defensive fouls he picked up before getting yanked.
Like Reply
Unfortunately not only have THJ, Bullock, DFS, Maxi and McGee seemed to have “lost a step”, but you could make a pretty good case that our coach has as well. Always a beat or two too slow. Even the decision making regarding challenges has been atrocious.
Like Reply