Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 11: DAL (6-5) @ WAS (6-6) | 105-113 loss
(11-10-2022, 09:33 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: For me, the takeaway is starting to be that Kidd might be trash.

From what I'm seeing from Kidd, he isn't an X and O type of coach, he might have a few plays in his bag, but the way I see it, his offense is already set with 5 and out with little variation.

I would have think, he'd be more of a strategist being a cerebral PG and all, but it doesn't look that way.

He's a coach that emphasizes effort over talent. A rah-rah type of coach in the Avery category but with less vocals.

Kidd wouldn't have made the adjustments RC had made for the 2011 team. Kidd is more of the 2006 and 2007 season Avery.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • Mavs2021
Like Reply
(11-10-2022, 09:53 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: Kidd is more of the 2006 and 2007 season Avery.

I think the parallels are pretty shocking. 

More motivator than tactician? Check

Focused on defense, to the detriment of everything else? Check

Getting his star to go into the post and create offense in new ways? Check

Ultimately undeserving of the opportunity and likely to waste some of Luka's best years? The jury is still out, but man, I'm worried.
Like Reply
We need Wood back. 

I was talking with a Bucks fan earlier today. Before this game he asked why we didn't just give Luka a load management game off for this one, Giannis just had one and Luka's streak was snapped so there was no good reason to not give Luka a rest here. I think he was right.
[-] The following 2 users Like MrGoat's post:
  • KillerLeft, ThisIStheYear
Like Reply
(11-10-2022, 09:53 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: From what I'm seeing from Kidd, he isn't an X and O type of coach, he might have a few plays in his bag, but the way I see it, his offense is already set with 5 and out with little variation.

I would have think, he'd be more of a strategist being a cerebral PG and all, but it doesn't look that way.

He's a coach that emphasizes effort over talent. A rah-rah type of coach in the Avery category but with less vocals.

Kidd wouldn't have made the adjustments RC had made for the 2011 team. Kidd is more of the 2006 and 2007 season Avery.

Please. 

Kidd called the plays in that 2011 playoffs.  Not RC. 

This roster is junk. Two guys who can create in Din and Luka. No wonder most nights one or the other is the one leading this team. We miss that 3rd creator that we lost in Brunson.  You can think it’s a coaching issue. Nothing will change if Kidd is let go and whoever you think is the best coach in the league gets hired instead.
Like Reply
(11-10-2022, 11:22 PM)MrGoat Wrote: We need Wood back. 

I was talking with a Bucks fan earlier today. Before this game he asked why we didn't just give Luka a load management game off for this one, Giannis just had one and Luka's streak was snapped so there was no good reason to not give Luka a rest here. I think he was right.

Probably because scoring 50 points in a game would be embarrassing for an NBA team.
Like Reply
(11-10-2022, 11:54 PM)hakeemfaan Wrote: Please. 

Kidd called the plays in that 2011 playoffs.  Not RC. 

This roster is junk. Two guys who can create in Din and Luka. No wonder most nights one or the other is the one leading this team. We miss that 3rd creator that we lost in Brunson.  You can think it’s a coaching issue. Nothing will change if Kidd is let go and whoever you think is the best coach in the league gets hired instead.

LOL, I can shut it if there's evidence of what you are saying. Maybe Kidd had a hand on it on a few plays, but RC would be the biggest part of what they were doing.
But yeah, give me something to read about and I'd change my mind.

Yes, the roster is junk, and Kidd probably has a hand it that too (cough..McGee..cough).
Speaking of losing a 3rd creator, in a roster bereft of talent, someone (probably Kidd again?) refused Dragic. 
Would have been a good idea if there was alternative, but by golly, there was none.
Dragic would be infinitely be better than none.

Nothing will change if Kidd is replaced? 
I think it's the opposite, but okay.
Hard to argue with hypotheticals.
Like Reply
(11-10-2022, 09:26 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: I’ll give you LeBron, but he is an absolute freak. If that’s what you are expecting Luka to be, physically, you’re literally never going to be happy with him, I don’t think. 

Dirk, I think, is a horrible comparison because he wasn’t having to control the ball remotely this much. Night and day different, AND frankly, I disagree. I remember it being extremely noticeable that he was on a back to back. 

Sounds like I’m defending Luka’s effort these past two games, but I’m not. I just think the team looking flat TONIGHT (not last night) was almost a certainty, especially given the slow start to the season in a general emotional sense.

A smart coach would ask Dinwiddie to carry the ball up the court and do the "running" part. And get the ball to Luka in final fourth part of the court to initiate the plays and do the finesse part. Sometimes ask SD to attack directly, when initially space is available as he is good at it. If not, get the ball to Luka from SD in multitude of different plays ranging from screens to post plays. We have just a single of those plays and it is always the play we start the games with. Luka is on the weak side and uses a screen to get the ball on the top. That play works well usually, but it doesnt really surprise anyone and doesnt keep anyone guessing. We use that play from time to time during the games. 

We are doing exactly the opposite, asking Luka to carry the ball up very single time almost, and if doubled the ball ends in SD hands. I dont get the advantage of that.

To ask SD to carry the initial attack, would clearly be a way to preserve Lukas fitness, especially in these back to back game situations. He was obviously tired, especially running up the court with the ball, a guy that takes so much of the load is clearly going to be the most tired one in the back to back games.

I am definitely lacking some evolution of the x's and o's for this team, and adaptation that shows we can master tactics at the next level. Done get me wrong, I think that Kidds defensive vision is excellent and has transformed the team, but at the same time there is clear lack of creativity in expanding that core scheme. I think its rare at the moment we win games by tactics. At least that's how it appears.

If you look at Denver, this is exactly how they use Jokic. He isnt the one bringing the ball up the court. That clearly preserves his stamina. Denver finds ton of different plays to get the Jokic the ball in the final part of the court and he is not usually the one initiating the plays, yet he is the one that puts the final touch on the plays. Luka would excel even more in this role, and I think this would be great for SD as well, as his initial drive to the basket can also direct movement in the opposing defense. Also if you notice when Jokic has the ball, Denver just has so many plays by design to allow Jokic to use his passing skills to get players open. We rely on exactly the opposite, we ask Luka to dominate his defender and either score or if doubled ask him to find the open guy. All that is fine, but it really isnt tactical design or superiority, its just asking your superstart to overmatch your opponent. I would love to see tactical mastery and that we not only by talent, but also by tactcs, get players open for easy shots. I think in the end combination of those is really what can elevate a team.
[-] The following 4 users Like burekemde's post:
  • ballsrchr, BigDirk41, KillerLeft, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-10-2022, 11:22 PM)MrGoat Wrote: We need Wood back. 

Cause´s its embarrassing for an NBA front office, if the rostered talent they assembled from 3-15 scores under 50 points in an NBA game?

Also don´t show Luka how shit his teammates are without him or he might realize how dominant he´d be, if he actually had an average NBA roster.

Seriously tell me that the Magic are a worse team than us right now, if you flip Luka and Suggs. And they´d have Banchero and Wagner who could create a dynasty with Luka and the same is true for so many other teams.
Like Reply
I didn't watch the game, so I can't add much.  I didn't like what I saw the previous night in Orlando and thought the odds were likely on a back to back that it wouldn't be an enjoyable performance.   I was only going to watch if I saw they won after the game.    So, I got a break from the Mavs for the night.
Like Reply
(11-11-2022, 01:02 AM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: LOL, I can shut it if there's evidence of what you are saying. Maybe Kidd had a hand on it on a few plays, but RC would be the biggest part of what they were doing.
But yeah, give me something to read about and I'd change my mind.

Yes, the roster is junk, and Kidd probably has a hand it that too (cough..McGee..cough).
Speaking of losing a 3rd creator, in a roster bereft of talent, someone (probably Kidd again?) refused Dragic. 
Would have been a good idea if there was alternative, but by golly, there was none.
Dragic would be infinitely be better than none.

Nothing will change if Kidd is replaced? 
I think it's the opposite, but okay.
Hard to argue with hypotheticals.

Yeah you need to shut up because it was well written about all over the place at that time. 

Disappointing that a long timer like Killer who knows this seconded your dumb post.  

This is par for the course when a black man gets hired on how he is branded as a motivational type. RC made plenty of questionable decisions over the last decade but was always given a pass due to the roster. Yet Kidd is not? 

Kidd’s basketball IQ and the fact that he did call the plays during that title run are well known. Put the focus on where it needs to be. The roster.  Then if need be we can talk about the coach.
Like Reply
Is the coach allowed to pull Luka? He had prolly more than 10 defensive poss where he moved less than Kidd on the sideline, and i am not kidding. Might been the worst defensive game from any nba player this season ...

Kidd pulling Wood for a missed defensive rotation, yet Luka made 0 rotations the entire game. Surprised the 2nd youngest player on the roster looked tired, when he played YMCA defense the entire game. I think even Dirk several years into retirement would move more on defense. Locker room is already lost because there is no accountability.

Angel 

Mavs started 22-8 when Luka had 0 shot attempts. Ending up with the most shot attempts. Can't blame McGee, nor Bullock nor THJ this time.

This wasn't a typical offnight from Luka again. His bad games are sometimes worst player on the Mavs material. Luka can be the Anti Green/Powell in those games & several guys gets infect by his no joy vibes. Was totally a game where you are better off benching him entirely. Missing Wood (or Brunson) in that type of games is killer.

In terms of leadership, maturity & playing hard every game Brunson was an A, and Luka is an F. I am wondering how many players are lowkey scoffing during those 4 vs 5 situation on defense. Or when Luka has those joy less games, where his all around effort level looks a 40 yr old and not someone who wants to win MVP.
[-] The following 2 users Like sefant's post:
  • BigDirk41, Kammrath
Like Reply
(11-11-2022, 08:44 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote:  
Yeah you need to shut up because it was well written about all over the place at that time. 

Disappointing that a long timer like Killer who knows this seconded your dumb post.  

This is par for the course when a black man gets hired on how he is branded as a motivational type. RC made plenty of questionable decisions over the last decade but was always given a pass due to the roster. Yet Kidd is not? 

Kidd’s basketball IQ and the fact that he did call the plays during that title run are well known. Put the focus on where it needs to be. The roster.  Then if need be we can talk about the coach.

The internet doesn't magically disappear and yet there's no proof. LOL. Okay, got it.

And you need to chill man, so much hostility for a simple reply.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BigDirk41, DallasMaverick, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(11-11-2022, 09:25 AM)sefant Wrote: His bad games are sometimes worst player on the Mavs material

This is spot on. 

Luka has a career  (4+ seasons and 275 games) on/off +/- of +0.1....that's it. Not even close to superstar material. 

The reason is because some games Luka is absolutely the best player on the court. Other games he is the worst player on the court. But more often, it is within the SAME game that there are stretches where Luka is the BEST player on the court and stretches where he is the WORST player on the court. 

That inconsistency is the hallmark of his career so far in the regular season. He has upped his game in the playoffs (+11.8 in 28 games), so that is hopeful and promising. But I am not sure Luka's regular season teams will EVER be great because of his inconsistent effort on both ends. I think it is a combination of lazy habits and conditioning and off-the-court lifestyle.
Like Reply
I’m not sure if Luka’s regular season teams will ever be great because he’s carrying a roster with talent even less than what Lebron was working with in his first Cleveland stint and, that at the same time, is in decline. He can do it enough in the regular season to get 50 wins and then for a sustained period in the playoffs. But to do that with this roster night in and night out for 82 games, through back to backs on the road, after basically setting a modern record for consistency in scoring to start a season (with ridiculous usage and a physical, bruising style) is not feasible. The Mavs just need better players around Luka. The Luka denigration is kind of ridiculous. He’s looking pretty battered, borderline injured to me, because he has to do everything.
[-] The following 3 users Like ThisIStheYear's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid, Mavs2021, Smitty
Like Reply
(11-11-2022, 10:15 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: he has to do everything

But he doesn't, that's part of the point. Luka is NOT giving consistent effort on the defensive side of the ball in the regular season, like at all. He is not doing "everything," he is carrying most of the load on O and often times doing very little beyond that.
Like Reply
(11-11-2022, 10:15 AM)ThisIStheYear Wrote: I’m not sure if Luka’s regular season teams will ever be great because he’s carrying a roster with talent even less than what Lebron was working with in his first Cleveland stint and, that at the same time, is in decline. He can do it enough in the regular season to get 50 wins and then for a sustained period in the playoffs. But to do that with this roster night in and night out for 82 games, through back to backs on the road, after basically setting a modern record for consistency in scoring to start a season (with ridiculous usage and a physical, bruising style) is not feasible. The Mavs just need better players around Luka. The Luka denigration is kind of ridiculous. He’s looking pretty battered, borderline injured to me, because he has to do everything.

ITS THE SHOOTERS FAULTS!!!

Gawd I cant stand that excuse.  Its desperate.  Its harmful to the Mavs because the Mavs think they have it right and its the shooters faults when its lack of talent that has been put around Luka.  And...if there are any indications that decent/good players dont want to play with Luka and thats the reason why we have this roster...I seriously think its worth tinkering with a "non-modern" offense.  I just dont think you win in the playoffs with a Super Star surrounded with flawed players unless everything goes perfect.

(11-11-2022, 10:23 AM)Kammrath Wrote: But he doesn't, that's part of the point. Luka is NOT giving consistent effort on the defensive side of the ball in the regular season, like at all. He is not doing "everything," he is carrying most of the load on O and often times doing very little beyond that.

To be fair...maybe thats why we are sputtering out...because he has been giving effort this year.  He just cant keep it up long.

He seems to be getting steals and being disruptive on defense thus far to me...at least he has jumped off the screen regularly.   I dont watch film and you can probably tell me he is still standing around on defense....but he seems to be more disruptive this year than in the past.  Doesnt mean hes playing good all game though.
Like Reply
Ouch

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1591113414612746240
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • MrGoat
Like Reply
He's not wrong. DFS, Maxi, RB, THJ, etc are all fringe NBA players (and players rankings almost always reflect that) and yet the Mavs have paid them like they are big time NBA players.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BigDirk41, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
3 years to McGee too!  

Ayyyyyyyyyyy!
Like Reply
(11-11-2022, 12:08 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: Ouch

https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1591113414612746240

Where's the lie? Even after these last two games our offense is still performing better overall than last season. Wood has been huge for our offense, a non guard who doesn't need everything created for him and do it efficiently too elevated our offense in a way Brunson never could. But Wood's out right now.

Last two games without Wood: Luka 23 PPG on 25 shots
Last two games with Wood: Luka 35.5 PPG on 18.5 shots

So we're working Luka harder for less results without Wood. I repeat, it was stupid not to give Luka a load management game last night.
Like Reply