Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(04-29-2023, 07:35 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Cato has said that last part (trying to trade him immediately upon acquiring him) from the very beginning.  I can recall him saying Wood might not make it to camp or the season opener.  My interpretation of that was they’d wait until he could be aggregated and then make a move.  Of course that never happened and to be fair, no one else that I know of reported that.  If true, it certainly lends credence to the idea that the deal was all about moving the excess salaries.

If one ascribes to the idea that they would have taken Hardy with #26 and if the Mav’s had the deal for the second used for Hardy lined up in advance (certainly possible), then the price to dump salaries was really the two seconds they gave up to get the Hardy pick.

I am writing under the assumption that Cato has correct info. Personally, I think this kind of move is wrong on many levels.

1. I understand the concept of aggregating a couple of smaller salaries for a bigger expiring, which might be easier to trade. But hey guys, than freaking execute that trade, otherwise it is just a failure. GMs are not paid millions for trying. 
2. Mavs could dump those players using cash only, not wasting yet another asset, even if minimal. When was the last time Mavs used those 5 mil of cash? They never buy SRP with cash, they don't dump players with cash (always picks). 
3. Trading for a player you actually don't want will inevitably lead to locker room problems. Especially, when that player is in a contract year. He wants to play, showcase himself, yet he got to a team which is telling him from day one that they actually don't even need him. Of course the player is not happy and we can't even blame him for that. Which star player was mentioning chemistry problems...
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer - by omahen - 04-29-2023, 09:30 AM