Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(04-12-2023, 06:58 PM)cow Wrote: Turning 4x JAGs into a rotational piece matters.  The first round pick is the price they paid for poor asset management previously.  Turning those bodies and salaries to a contributor, even if for a year, is pretty far from the Mavs usually terrible management.  Here is the MBT math:

-Those four bodies and 10m contributed zero to the team.
-The projected draft pick would contribute minimally.  
-Christian Wood at the very least would be a rotational piece for a year with the potential of something long term.

Despite how Wood worked out, that's a homerun trade in my view.  With terrible contracts like Powell, THJ and Bertans, the MBT have needed to play Moneyball and find fallen angels like Wood to help round the roster and maybe get lucky.

I could not disagree more. I think they

1 certainly gave up something of value for Wood with the 1st round pick 

2 should not evaluate a young player / draftee on his first year impact 

3 there were other ways to get rid of the contracts of Sterling  Brown, etc but just like the Brunson-situation they preferred to save the money

4 the way they treated Wood was a recipe for disaster from the beginning

The trade blew up im their faces which almost had to expected when they announced they would give him the Noel-treatment (benching him from the start in a contract year). Just mismanaged the whole thing from day 1. I don’t know what else to say to you.

+ It’s baffling that they somehow came to the conclusion that promising McGee the starting spot in the offseason was a good idea. That also played a big role in the Wood-fiasco as it set the tone from day 1.
[-] The following 4 users Like JamesConway912's post:
  • ballsrchr, Mavs2021, omahen, Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer - by JamesConway912 - 04-14-2023, 02:51 AM