Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(03-09-2023, 08:58 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: Given Wood had fallen out of the rotation, him subtweeting the entire deadline, and the fact we had multiple leaks about how much the Mavs wanted to move him and THJ, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Wood's value at the TDL was close to zero. To the point where the Mavs probably said "I'd rather take 2 months more of Wood than a measly 2nd."

I have repeated the following thoughts a couple of times, but it didn't really spark any answer.

I fully agree Woods (and THJ) value in a direct sale was low. "Contenders want to be" are not about giving good players, they are about getting good players for meh contracts and draft compensation (or young guys). 

So, if Mavs see themselves a contender, the more likely moves on the table should be Wood (or THJ) + draft compensation for better players. What I don't get is, why Mavs traded 2029 pick for Kyrie instead of 2028 one, if there was not an intention to make a further move using the 2027 pick at TDL. One would think that BKN would value the 2028 pick higher. So, assuming Mavs were exploring the Wood+pick options, I find it really hard to accept there was nothing out there. Poeltl was traded for 1 FRP and two seconds. Lakers got three starter level guys (Beasley, Vandy and Russel) for one FRP. Jalen McDaniels went for 2 SRP. Hart went for protected FRP and Reddish. 

Sure, the players Mavs need are very specific and not many of them are around. But unprotected FRP has value. For example, Thybulle was a goal. He is not worth unprotected pick. But, how many protected picks would OKC give for an unprotected one? Would OKC deal us Kennrich Williams and draft assets to Philly (Thybulle) for an unprotected pick from Dallas? I just repeat, I find it very difficult to accept there was nothing out there. We have all seen plenty of teams doing their moves and we all see the obvious holes this roster has.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer - by omahen - 03-09-2023, 10:24 AM