Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(02-23-2023, 08:31 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Seems to me that we have direct evidence of everyone on the Suns (besides KD) being a charmin soft, dogless, corny, crybaby choker.

Who is KD? Surely not Kevin Durant.
Like Reply
Sorry if this has already been pointed out (haven't perused the whole thread), but it seems that we understand now what Wood meant before the TDL about having earned what he had. I have a feeling the Mavs brass are telling him he's an MLE-level player, and that pissing him off.

I wouldn't be surprised if his next contract (not in Dallas of course) will be either just a hair over the MLE, or a one-year make-good (which would be him shooting himself in the foot even worse, tbh).

However horrendous he is defensively, he's still better in the rim protection capacity than any other Mavs big except maybe Maxi. The defensive unicorn center is of course a guy who can switch as intelligently as Powell while being able to protect the rim.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scott41theMavs's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/Vengeancewood/status...08289?s=20
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/chriswood_5/status/1...62465?s=46&t=lVAS8_0n8uUTr1XHBTSsgA
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
Wood will not depart. Kidd will.
[-] The following 1 user Likes burekemde's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(02-26-2023, 07:38 PM)burekemde Wrote: Wood will not depart. Kidd will.

Now you’re talking my language!
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BigDirk41, burekemde
Like Reply

Honestly, I would love it for Wood to stay as a Mav.
But the damage has been done.
Kidd obviously doesn't represent the whole Mavs FO but knowing Cubes and Nico were behind Kidd's ill decisions --even if Kidd is booted out, Wood staying is at best, a 50-50 chance (better than having Kidd here where it's going to be zero).

But Wood or not, I just hope the Mavs wake up from this Kidd's spell and throw him out Theoden-Grima-LOTR style.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(02-23-2023, 08:30 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://twitter.com/Vengeancewood/status...08289?s=20

Kinda crazy. Looking at the numbers he is one of the best in the league at the rim (even though we have to mention that he it goes along with a high foul rate). About average defending the 3. One would think that this is enough to result in positive net impact but that isn´t the case. Overall +1.4 DFG%.
A little bit like KP in the past. Giving up crazy high percentages from midrange. Going along with terrible pick and roll defense. Not willing or able to play high enough to contest pull up attempts or floaters.

Brings us back to the coaching question. There has to be a way to "hide" him on defense. Take advantage of the things that he can actually do. Keep him out of the pick and roll. Pre switch/rotate. Play zone. At least try something.
Like Reply

He is not going anywhere, unless there is something off the court.   He has tied himself to Luka (Nico too), and I think Luka likes both.   Both probably have better relationships with him than Cuban.    Nico and Kidd are most likely here for a while.  I wouldn't count on Cuban making a brave, forward thought move either.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/vengeancewood/status...56839?s=46&t=g8aOVH4Xhhe5hRPSThfuJQ
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 07:40 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: He is not going anywhere, unless there is something off the court.   He has tied himself to Luka (Nico too), and I think Luka likes both.   Both probably have better relationships with him than Cuban.    Nico and Kidd are most likely here for a while.  I wouldn't count on Cuban making a brave, forward thought move either.

It was so clear from last game (and many others before) we would have won the game easy if Wood got more minutes. Its inexplainable and inexcusable the decision to not play him more. You play your best players and get the best result.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/statmuse/status/1630...58912?s=46&t=1V4k48cVffUouotiChpeOQ
Like Reply
(02-27-2023, 12:52 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Brings us back to the coaching question. There has to be a way to "hide" him on defense. Take advantage of the things that he can actually do. Keep him out of the pick and roll. Pre switch/rotate. Play zone. At least try something.

This--is what should have been done.  But due to the front office and the actions of Kidd...I think it is too late.  I really think Wood...and at least one other nice player,,,is gone in the summer...

Piss me off!
Like Reply
RED ALERT MAVS FANS

Info from Wood's agent here

Scroll down to the podcast. Wood info starts at 46:55.
Like Reply
(02-28-2023, 01:54 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: RED ALERT MAVS FANS

I think there are some interesting nuggets here, and it feels like there is a little truth mixed in, but it's also only one side of the story and seems a little molded to fit a pro-Wood narrative.
Like Reply
(02-28-2023, 01:54 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: RED ALERT MAVS FANS

I don't know those guys so I don't know their credibility, but at this point I have no reason not to believe what they are saying. As sad as it is, I'm not surprised. Sounds like Kyrie and Wood will be gone if this nonsense is true.
Like Reply
Here is my summary. Info from Wood's agent (allegedly). Apparently, Wood's agent regularly talks to the media, but we don't get the whole story because they are Mavs state media.

- Traded the 1st for Wood because they thought he would be better than whoever was picked.

- They obviously knew about his "reputation" before trading for him, but were OK with it because of the cost to talent ratio.

- Hardest worker before the season. In the gym 5 days per week before any other player showed up.

- Whatever staff was there helping Wood practice to Kidd: Wood looks really good! Wood is working hard. Wood is always in the gym.

- Kidd/Front office bewildered. "We thought he was lazy."

- Mavs wanted to do extension before the season started.

- Wood and agent were not interested in extension talks before the season. They wanted to see how things would go and I'm sure also increase Wood's value.

- Wood was told he would get the opportunity to earn the starting spot.

- Wood did in fact find out from the media that he would be coming off the bench from a reporter at media day. Was blindsided.

- Mavs have tried again several times during the season to do extension talks. This was the Mavs willing to do a 2 year extension that was reported by several in the media. There were never any actual talks as Wood and his agent were not interested.

- Mavs are trying to use the media who are largely controlled by Cuban according the podcast's host. Tim Cato get's called out specifically later. You report what we want and don't report want we don't want and you get access to the team and information.

- Detroit did want to keep Wood, but he decided he wanted to play with Harden. The Hornets wanted him in the same free agency.
Like Reply
Lot's of speculation about Luka's wants, Kyrie's philopshy and impact on his impeding free agency, and the Mavs' motivations.  The person doing most of the talking often sounds like a bitter fan, especially towards Cuban, and while that is certainly justifiable, I'm not sure I'd put much weight into any of the chatter.
Like Reply
(02-28-2023, 03:17 PM)cow Wrote: Lot's of speculation about Luka's wants, Kyrie's philopshy and impact on his impeding free agency, and the Mavs' motivations.  The person doing most of the talking often sounds like a bitter fan, especially towards Cuban, and while that is certainly justifiable, I'm not sure I'd put much weight into any of the chatter.

Important to separate the hosts' opinions vs what they are (allegedly) relaying from the agent.
Like Reply
(02-28-2023, 03:19 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Important to separate the hosts' opinions vs what they are (allegedly) relaying from the agent.

I don't trust the allegedly part.  You and I could create the same podcast and come up with the bullet points you posted above by connecting the dots.  The Wood situation isn't great, obviously.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply