Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(02-15-2023, 11:13 AM)F Gump Wrote: Apparently there was no demand at the TDL for Wood, in relative terms. You can get rid of anyone just to get rid of them, but it makes no sense if you don't get something in return that you need.

Adding an unprotected FRP just to get someone to take him off their hands? That would be absurd. He's expiring and will be gone in a few months if you want him gone.

Adding an unprotected FRP for a player of value coming back the other way? That's really just using Wood as trade filler, and the selling point is the pick. It still isn't yielding actual value for Wood himself. Re Beasley-Vando, I certainly wouldn't have given an unprotected FRP for that pair. Vanderbilt was a player I would have wanted, but not for an unprotected FRP for him, and Beasley is about the same player as THJ other than the length of the contract, so I don't see value in adding another.

I find it really hard to believe there was absolutely nothing to be had for Wood. Clippers paid a SRP for Plumlee. Was there really no one offering a couple of second rounders if not a FRP (which is better than keep him for half a season you will not contend anyway and then lose him for nothing)? I find it hard to believe. I think it is just another indication of an extreme short sighted view Mavs always have. Mavs are not contenders this season. If they think they are, they are delusional. If they think there is a slight possibility where everything will go right, they are just desperate. 

Mavs knew exactly who Wood is, yet they paid a FRP for him. Only to not feature him. Some say this was the price to dump those bad expiring contracts to clear roster spots. For who? For McGee? Campazzo and then Kemba? The only one that made sense was Hardy but the cost of clearing one roster spot would be far lower than FRP. At the time the deal was made it did make a lot of sense, but in the long run it was just another in a series of mistakes, costing them another asset while they had very limited resources to play with.

I (and many others) pointed out it makes no sense in keeping Powell if you traded for McGee and gave him 3 years. Perhaps Mavs counted on his expiring contract to be used at TDL. But McGee mistake put them in a position where they can't afford to trade Powell and his expiring contract while they will have the McGee mistake on the team for two more years unless they pay someone to take him. Yet another mistake on a long run following short term goals. 

Irving trade. I have no idea why they traded the 2029 pick instead of 2028 one. That would give them far more flexibility in the summer. It is difficult to understand why BKN would insist on 2029 instead of 2028. The only other possible reason could be is they also wanted to trade the 2027 pick, which they obviously didn't afterall (another fail in that case). 

You say you wouldn't trade an unprotected FRP for Vando and Beasley. Vando is basically exactly what this team needs, if Mavs want to dream about becoming a contender on a short term (playing long term with Kai is just another mistake waiting to happen). I agree Beasley is not needed if you have THJ. But, there are other ways to get some value back for that unprotected FRP. Perhaps Utah could send some minor draft assets back, perhaps there could be a three team deal where someone else takes Beasley for some compensation (Pat Bev and a bunch of second rounders from Lakers?). Could those second rounders be used for Thybulle they wanted and is obviously not worth the 2027 FRP? This team would look way different with Vando and Thybulle instead of Wood they don't see as a fit.

Thybulle is another mistery to me. Mavs were after him but obviously not prepared to pay the 2027 FRP for him. But how the hell did they think they will get him? Did they think Philly will just give him away?

I am fully aware I am just an armchair general but Mavs are making mistake after mistake ever since they got Luka. Green and Hardy look like good picks and Bullock was a solid signing. Everything else they did turned out to be a mistake. So I guess this gives me some right to doubt there really wasn't anything else out there.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • LukaMVP, Paul Gasol
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer - by omahen - 02-16-2023, 01:01 AM