Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(02-15-2023, 11:49 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: And played for Sweeney in Detroit during his break out season.

I started not to give you a like since you have thousand's, but I gave you one anyway.   Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 12:03 PM)F Gump Wrote: I don't buy the idea that the Mavs tried to sabotage him, or hate him, or those memes. Or that he's been misused here or not given a chance. There's certainly an opening for a player his size, if they bring what's need to the team.

I'm just guessing, like we all are. We all hoped for better. Doesn't like we'll get it.
I don’t think the FO wanted or willingly tried to sabotage him, but I certainly hope they had a conversation with him after the trade and expressed their goal with him. I would have hoped Kidd would have been in on that call, but if it was had, we know he wasn’t. Since we know Kidd was not, I would have hoped they set up an individual call between the two. Alas, the two came to media day introducing themselves to eachother and Kidd told the media before telling his newly acquired player that he was gonna come off the bench.

Not the best foot to start off on, at the very least wouldn’t you say? 

On draft day, every player drafted whether they turn out good or bust gets this treatment, right? Getting off to the best start is just common knowledge in basketball front offices, isn’t it? 

If the intent all along was to just see what he can give us and there were questions unanswered, why was it not until Kidd NEEDED to start Wood the moment to try to build a relationship with him? Does Kidd really have that many better things to do in his life than to get to know him? 

What is the word you would use to describe the situation we put ourselves in in this case?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ItsGoTime's post:
  • Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 12:37 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t think the FO wanted or willingly tried to sabotage him, but I certainly hope they had a conversation with him after the trade and expressed their goal with him. I would have hoped Kidd would have been in on that call, but if it was had, we know he wasn’t. Since we know Kidd was not, I would have hoped they set up an individual call between the two. Alas, the two came to media day introducing themselves to each other and Kidd told the media before telling his newly acquired player that he was gonna come off the bench.

Not the best foot to start off on, at the very least wouldn’t you say? 

On draft day, every player drafted whether they turn out good or bust gets this treatment, right? Getting off to the best start is just common knowledge in basketball front offices, isn’t it? 

If the intent all along was to just see what he can give us and there were questions unanswered, why was it not until Kidd NEEDED to start Wood the moment to try to build a relationship with him? Does Kidd really have that many better things to do in his life than to get to know him? 

What is the word you would use to describe the situation we put ourselves in in this case?

I don't know, because I don't think we know most of the story of what actually was happening, and why.

My observation is that the Mavs are a very competitive, lucrative business, where the differences between them and the competition are at the margins. As such, it would make no sense that they would do things in a haphazard way. I observe they employ a staff of psychiatrists, trainers, coaches, skill development experts, and more to try to get the best performance out of these guys. The conclusions you draw are close to the exact opposite of the rest of all of that, so I figure there's a ton more to know about what has occurred, that we have no idea.
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 03:26 PM)F Gump Wrote: I don't know, because I don't think we know most of the story of what actually was happening, and why.

My observation is that the Mavs are a very competitive, lucrative business, where the differences between them and the competition are at the margins. As such, it would make no sense that they would do things in a haphazard way. I observe they employ a staff of psychiatrists, trainers, coaches, skill development experts, and more to try to get the best performance out of these guys. The conclusions you draw are close to the exact opposite of the rest of all of that, so I figure there's a ton more to know about what has occurred, that we have no idea.
How can you refute Wood not talking to Kidd before the two had to be in the same room together? Wood said as much. Is that good practice? The article I read said that was the first time Kidd reached out to Wood to improve the relationship. I’m talking sources, you’re giving assurances based on generalizations.

Here’s another one. This team is fully invested in keeping Kyrie happy. Because of that, there’s no way anything wrong can happen when they sign him to a 5 year max. See, I can do it too!
Like Reply
Eitherway Kidd was weirdly disrespective of him early and often. You could tell straight from the get-go that was going to be a hard relationship to ever build back up
[-] The following 4 users Like Jym's post:
  • BigDirk41, Branduil, IamDougieFresh, ItsGoTime
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 04:09 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: This team is fully invested in keeping Kyrie happy.

One of them is Kyrie Irving and the other is a guy that no one else in the league had interested in acquiring last offseason or at this TDL save for our very own Mavericks.  Now I honestly think there is room for players like that on the Mavericks as they have the hardest of hard times acquiring talent.  Let's call it the basketball version of Moneyball but I really don't see a reason for anyone in the organization to roll out the red carpet for Wood especially when one of his biggest problems is a sense of entitlement.
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 11:41 PM)cow Wrote: One of them is Kyrie Irving and the other is a guy that no one else in the league had interested in acquiring last offseason or at this TDL save for our very own Mavericks.  Now I honestly think there is room for players like that on the Mavericks as they have the hardest of hard times acquiring talent.  Let's call it the basketball version of Moneyball but I really don't see a reason for anyone in the organization to roll out the red carpet for Wood especially when one of his biggest problems is a sense of entitlement.
Nothing I talked about in that discussion had anything to do with rolling out the red carpet for Wood. Knowing where he stands on the team and how he can improve that should have been a conversation had before the two met face to face. That’s common curiosity, not rolling out the red carpet.
Like Reply
Wood has to earn it.

JaVale got promised the starting spot without earning it.

Dwight about to get his next 4/44.

Clown world.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 11:53 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote: That’s common curiosity

But it isn't.  Go listen to that Pinson/Dinwiddie podcast for what NBA life is like for the rank and file.

(02-16-2023, 12:20 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Wood has to earn it.

JaVale got promised the starting spot without earning it.

Dwight about to get his next 4/44.

Clown world.

Would might be a better option than what is on the roster but that doesn't automatically make him a good option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cow's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(02-15-2023, 11:13 AM)F Gump Wrote: Apparently there was no demand at the TDL for Wood, in relative terms. You can get rid of anyone just to get rid of them, but it makes no sense if you don't get something in return that you need.

Adding an unprotected FRP just to get someone to take him off their hands? That would be absurd. He's expiring and will be gone in a few months if you want him gone.

Adding an unprotected FRP for a player of value coming back the other way? That's really just using Wood as trade filler, and the selling point is the pick. It still isn't yielding actual value for Wood himself. Re Beasley-Vando, I certainly wouldn't have given an unprotected FRP for that pair. Vanderbilt was a player I would have wanted, but not for an unprotected FRP for him, and Beasley is about the same player as THJ other than the length of the contract, so I don't see value in adding another.

I find it really hard to believe there was absolutely nothing to be had for Wood. Clippers paid a SRP for Plumlee. Was there really no one offering a couple of second rounders if not a FRP (which is better than keep him for half a season you will not contend anyway and then lose him for nothing)? I find it hard to believe. I think it is just another indication of an extreme short sighted view Mavs always have. Mavs are not contenders this season. If they think they are, they are delusional. If they think there is a slight possibility where everything will go right, they are just desperate. 

Mavs knew exactly who Wood is, yet they paid a FRP for him. Only to not feature him. Some say this was the price to dump those bad expiring contracts to clear roster spots. For who? For McGee? Campazzo and then Kemba? The only one that made sense was Hardy but the cost of clearing one roster spot would be far lower than FRP. At the time the deal was made it did make a lot of sense, but in the long run it was just another in a series of mistakes, costing them another asset while they had very limited resources to play with.

I (and many others) pointed out it makes no sense in keeping Powell if you traded for McGee and gave him 3 years. Perhaps Mavs counted on his expiring contract to be used at TDL. But McGee mistake put them in a position where they can't afford to trade Powell and his expiring contract while they will have the McGee mistake on the team for two more years unless they pay someone to take him. Yet another mistake on a long run following short term goals. 

Irving trade. I have no idea why they traded the 2029 pick instead of 2028 one. That would give them far more flexibility in the summer. It is difficult to understand why BKN would insist on 2029 instead of 2028. The only other possible reason could be is they also wanted to trade the 2027 pick, which they obviously didn't afterall (another fail in that case). 

You say you wouldn't trade an unprotected FRP for Vando and Beasley. Vando is basically exactly what this team needs, if Mavs want to dream about becoming a contender on a short term (playing long term with Kai is just another mistake waiting to happen). I agree Beasley is not needed if you have THJ. But, there are other ways to get some value back for that unprotected FRP. Perhaps Utah could send some minor draft assets back, perhaps there could be a three team deal where someone else takes Beasley for some compensation (Pat Bev and a bunch of second rounders from Lakers?). Could those second rounders be used for Thybulle they wanted and is obviously not worth the 2027 FRP? This team would look way different with Vando and Thybulle instead of Wood they don't see as a fit.

Thybulle is another mistery to me. Mavs were after him but obviously not prepared to pay the 2027 FRP for him. But how the hell did they think they will get him? Did they think Philly will just give him away?

I am fully aware I am just an armchair general but Mavs are making mistake after mistake ever since they got Luka. Green and Hardy look like good picks and Bullock was a solid signing. Everything else they did turned out to be a mistake. So I guess this gives me some right to doubt there really wasn't anything else out there.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • LukaMVP, Paul Gasol
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 12:26 AM)cow Wrote: Wood might be a better option

[Image: giphy.gif]
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
Like Reply
Like I said from the beginning, when they traded for Wood, the only option was to try and make it work. That means giving him the starting spot, from the beginning. That means not pulling him for every single mistake. That means giving him time and space to learn defense, and doing what you can to both make him happy and improve the team.

Would it have worked? Maybe, maybe not. But the point is they HAD to try and do that, because of the absolute dearth of big man talent on this roster. Instead they committed malpractice against both themselves and Wood by first gifting the starting spot to an absolute spare, and then falling back on the old comfortable coach's pet who we already know can't hack it in the playoffs. The team repeatedly made it clear with their actions how little they valued Wood, and then they wanna act shocked other teams aren't falling over themselves to trade for him? Why would anyone pay any kind of price for someone who will be freely available and HAPPY to leave at the first opportunity?

I distinctly remember some posters saying at the beginning "Oh, it doesn't matter they're starting McGee, we'll see what happens." I said right then they were setting themselves up for failure with Wood, and I was right. It's a perfect example of how full of themselves Cuban, Kidd and the rest are that they think they just have so much talent here that they could afford to alienate Wood. They fucked around and now we're all finding out.
[-] The following 5 users Like Branduil's post:
  • IamDougieFresh, loki, LukaMVP, MaxiThreeba, omahen
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 02:46 AM)Branduil Wrote: Like I said from the beginning, when they traded for Wood, the only option was to try and make it work. That means giving him the starting spot, from the beginning. That means not pulling him for every single mistake. That means giving him time and space to learn defense, and doing what you can to both make him happy and improve the team.

Would it have worked? Maybe, maybe not. But the point is they HAD to try and do that, because of the absolute dearth of big man talent on this roster. Instead they committed malpractice against both themselves and Wood by first gifting the starting spot to an absolute spare, and then falling back on the old comfortable coach's pet who we already know can't hack it in the playoffs. The team repeatedly made it clear with their actions how little they valued Wood, and then they wanna act shocked other teams aren't falling over themselves to trade for him? Why would anyone pay any kind of price for someone who will be freely available and HAPPY to leave at the first opportunity?

I distinctly remember some posters saying at the beginning "Oh, it doesn't matter they're starting McGee, we'll see what happens." I said right then they were setting themselves up for failure with Wood, and I was right. It's a perfect example of how full of themselves Cuban, Kidd and the rest are that they think they just have so much talent here that they could afford to alienate Wood. They fucked around and now we're all finding out.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • LukaMVP, omahen
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/nolongerdfh/status/1...95904?s=46&t=KyKfQOT7SxiTP0H6hZqOCA
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • omahen
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 02:46 AM)Branduil Wrote: Like I said from the beginning, when they traded for Wood, the only option was to try and make it work. That means giving him the starting spot, from the beginning. That means not pulling him for every single mistake. That means giving him time and space to learn defense, and doing what you can to both make him happy and improve the team.

Well to be fair you can´t blame all of this on Kidd and Nico. They did the exact same thing with Noel and Dalembert, when Rick and Donnie were in charge. It´s actually crazy how similar the situations are. I think one needs to look for a common denominator that was overseeing both situations.

But maybe there is no such person with knowledge what goes on on the basketball operations side of the Mavericks. I heard similar stories about the business operations side being like the jungle.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavs2021's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
the trade for TC was a huge success in hind sight but at the time it took place it was also questionable. TC was injury prone and very limited at offensive end, yet we bought him at the expense of DUST chip which could have been converted into someone that seemed better. 

every trade is a gamble in some way, so i ain't calling the wood deal a failure or anything. apparently, however, the coach should have made better use of him on court, instead of cutting his minutes and giving the starting spot to powell. 

If kidd was our coach in 2011 I think our chance of ringing that year would have been ZERO, if not negative. dude doesn't even know how to coach himself probably. If we got a vaughn or mike brown this season, though they probably can not lift us to championship considerations immediately either, we would've looked much better than we are now imho.
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 06:08 AM)LukaMVP Wrote: every trade is a gamble in some way, so i ain't calling the wood deal a failure or anything

Personally I don't have so much problem with the trade itself and I agree each one is a gamble to a certain extent. What I have a problem with is that Mavs missed on basically every trade so far in the "Luka era". From that perspective I think this trade and how they handled the overall situation is just another in a series of misses. Mavs traded a FRP for a guy to be third center and play 15-20 minutes of the bench and leave in the summer??? That is just stupid. Wood wasn't the last missing piece in the carefully laid out puzzle. The way they did it it was just another wasted asset in ever more desperate attempt to actually put some pieces around Luka.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Branduil
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 06:56 AM)omahen Wrote: Personally I don't have so much problem with the trade itself and I agree each one is a gamble to a certain extent. What I have a problem with is that Mavs missed on basically every trade so far in the "Luka era". From that perspective I think this trade and how they handled the overall situation is just another in a series of misses. Mavs traded a FRP for a guy to be third center and play 15-20 minutes of the bench and leave in the summer??? That is just stupid. Wood wasn't the last missing piece in the carefully laid out puzzle. The way they did it it was just another wasted asset in ever more desperate attempt to actually put some pieces around Luka.

From a distance, bringing in Wood seems like a Nico move not endorsed, supported or even implemented by JKidd, almost like a child getting a new toy and throwing it in the corner.
[-] The following 2 users Like WildArkieBoy's post:
  • ballsrchr, Jym
Like Reply
(02-16-2023, 07:27 AM)WildArkieBoy Wrote: From a distance, bringing in Wood seems like a Nico move not endorsed, supported or even implemented by JKidd, almost like a child getting a new toy and throwing it in the corner.

Nico and Kidd were supposed to be a package deal so I would be really surprised if they would go to such stupid childish ways to prove their point. But really, I don't even care. Hierarchy is clear and if something like that would be actually happening, the appropriate measures should be taken.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KennyBybee/status/16...72608?s=20
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SleepingHero's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply