Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(02-08-2023, 08:13 AM)omahen Wrote: I replied to a claim that he is an elite defender, nothing more. I like him and have always mentioned him as possibility. I didn't watch him a lot, but one of the national writers (don't remeber who) said he is a bad defender and Charlotte defensive on/off would seem to confirm that statement.  

Defensively oriented big wings who might be available this TDL are RoCo, Morris, Vanderbilt, Crowder, Martin, Tate, Kenrich Williams. None of them is worth an unprotected FRP, so it is all about the other pieces in the deal. For example, McGee for Tate and Martin might be worth considering. THJ for Vando and Beasley might be worth considering. Wood for RoCo or Morris straight up makes sense if we believe in small ball. I don't really see Crowder or Williams trade for us.

One unprotected pick will also not net us a star. I wonder what 2 can do, assuming we can lift protections from NY pick. My pipedream would be Jerami Grant (didn't sign extension yet) or Keldon Johnson (not a big wing, but he would fit very nicely imho).

Thanks for the reply. I would be interested in what objective info we have that says PJ is the wrong guy - a media guy said it, I dunno, some of them have shallow sketch opinions with little basis - or that any of the others mentioned are the right one. 

I don't care about PJ. If he's not the right guy, so be it. I'm just asking "If not him, why not? And then who?" and what criteria we have to make that list reliable.

I do think that "good defender" by itself is probably not enough -- it's gonna require some sort of ability to also contribute on offense, so it's not easy for an opponent to simply ignore that player on the offensive end and have an extra defender to double Luka or Kyrie with impunity. Especially in playoffs. The in-depth same-opponent game-planning there punishes a team playing a player like that.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Christian Wood | Mavs working on extension, trade if cannot extend? - by F Gump - 02-08-2023, 08:43 AM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM