Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(02-07-2023, 01:32 PM)cow Wrote: Kind of an aside but something I've been thinking about a lot is that we need to be careful with the sentiment that "Luka is only 23".  Because of early start in professional basketball, he'll be in his prime sooner than the typical NBA player.  He's got more wear and tear on him as well especially considering how he is deployed today.  I also get the feeling that he isn't planning on a 20-year career but for that, we can point to his youth and say "who knows?".

Agreed. Luka has consistently been about two years ahead of what I expected, developmentally. He really is ready right now to win a ring, if the team around him has enough synergy and cohesion (I think those things require time together as much as or maybe more than talent, even, but that's a different conversation). I've come around a bit on the trade, but not because my opinion of Irving has changed. I'm just reluctantly going with the idea that this year and next MIGHT be the best seasons of Luka's career...you know, the whole "can't wait when you have the superstar ready" mentality. The Mavs are leaning in on that, and so I will, too. 

On the other hand, I can't help but to think it's going to take him another 4-5 years to grow up enough that he stops arguing with officials when he should be getting into defensive transition, etc, etc. 

Idk...part of me is still stuck in mourning over the Luka/Giannis pairing that was planned a few years ago and the dynasty that would've been created. All subsequent plans have seemed cheap and surface level by comparison. I've been holding out hope that they could find a way to pull themselves out of this hole and assemble a team that could be good for 5-7 years IN A ROW. Clearly, this is now destined to be a year-to-year endeavor with successes/failures along the way.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Christian Wood | Mavs working on extension, trade if cannot extend? - by KillerLeft - 02-07-2023, 01:54 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM