Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(02-07-2023, 05:37 AM)omahen Wrote: It all depends how they see the Irving situation and it is possible they see him as a long term solution. In this case, I am not sure there is place for Wood. Doesn't mean I agree with the strategy, just pointing out what Mavs thinking might be. Since they went with Kyrie, I guess they made their gamble and all we can do is hope it will work.

The FO might want Kyrie to stay, but this is Kyrie, he defies logic.
Nothing is certain with this dude.
The Mavs plan might not be Kyrie's plan at all.

But let's say Kyrie is here to stay.
Couldn't the Mavs wait for next year's TDL for them to ship out Wood?
Unless Wood makes a drastic dip from his play, he isn't someone who's on the level of Bertans and THJ in terms of trade value.
They can trade him for a better return.
I could understand if trading Wood now gets you a first rounder plus a useful (yet underwhelming) player. And that FRP will be used for the next big trade.
But if it's just a guy like Plumlee (not him exactly, but those types) and NO PICK, then I rather stick with Wood and let him walk. 

At least get a puncher's chance this season than diminishing your talent base with someone who's the 8th or 9th man in the rotation (because IMHo, that's who the Mavs would get for Wood).

Of course, the Mavs can expand a trade with THJ and/or Bullock to get a first, but still I don't see the returning player would be more talented than Wood. The Mavs (IMho) would be taking a step or two back instead of going all-in.
With the uncertainty of Kyrie, they might not get to step forward after that 2 steps back.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Christian Wood | Mavs working on extension, trade if cannot extend? - by Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo - 02-07-2023, 07:03 AM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM