Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(01-04-2023, 05:50 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I think 2+1 (PO) is a win for Wood's camp, as I think anything with a PO is a win for Wood. I think anything with a TO is a win for the Mavs.

Much depends on where the market for Wood actually is.  If it is truly in the mid-$20's per year, then Wood has the leverage to ask for whatever he wants.  But, you have to ask yourself why wouldn't he just bet on himself with the potential for a $30mm reward six months from now.  

If, on the other hand, his current limitation or just a hair higher is about his market, then both sides have to weigh risk against reward.  Dallas has to be frightened of the PR disaster of Brunson v2.0.  But, Wood has risk also.  $18mm average is too much for a bench big (even one that scores efficiently).  Does his agent feel secure that there is starter money out there for Wood?  A sure way to get fired is to overplay your hand.  We are just 2 1/2 months of games from Houston not finding any takers for a year.

I think there is a compromise position here assuming it is legal for an extension.  The third year is a TO, but partially guaranteed.  That is what the Brooklyn did with Dinwiddie as part of the S&T to Washington.  He signed a 3 year $54mm deal, but the third year is only guaranteed for $10mm.  Put a $4mm guarantee on Wood's 3rd year and the AAV is now $20mm instead of $18mm if Dallas moves on from him.  Offer the same thing Dinwiddie got (the numbers are very similar to Wood's max extension) and you've bumped the AAV to $22.5mm.  The risk Wood has is that he outplays his contract and he's "stuck" making about $19mm that third year.  But I go back to the question of what his market really is.  If 2/$36 isn't a fair number, why are we even talking.  If it is a fair number, why wouldn't 3/$55mm not be fair.  From the Dallas side, a PO just sticks them with the exact issue they were hoping to avoid if things go poorly.  In fact, it is the worst of both worlds.  Plays well, he's free.  Plays poorly, you are stuck for an extra year.

Selfishly, I'd like to see this done sooner rather than later.  It would be much easier to discuss possible next moves if you knew Wood is going to be your guy.
[-] The following 4 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • F Gump, Mapka, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Christian Wood | Mavs working on extension, trade if cannot extend? - by DanSchwartzgan - 01-04-2023, 08:21 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM