Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(01-04-2023, 03:42 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Wow, rumors started by both sides, daily. This is a full blown "negotiate through the media" approach that I don't remember the Mavs doing much during the Nelson days. I don't know if it's better or worse, but it's interesting.

Assuming that's what's going on (and it sure looks like it!), it's a good sign (if you want to see them keep Wood), because it would mean there's currently a deal to be made and hanging in the balance, and they just need to find how to get there.

I think both sides have motivation to get a deal done. We can't lose sight of the fact that Wood has never had his team decide to re-sign him when his contract ran out, and his ability to get numbers has never landed him a major commitment from any team. And we also can't lose sight of the fact that the Mavs can't afford to get Brunsoned again, both on a talent level and also as a "demonstration of level of front office competence" (or lack of same).

BUT - we also have to remember that Cuban (and his trainees, of course) have always been awful at negotiating. He really has shown no skill in getting a deal if he doesn't egregiously overpay. So it's not easy to expect they'll have the poker-playing skill to get to yes on a deal that is reasonable from a team perspective.
[-] The following 5 users Like F Gump's post:
  • DallasMaverick, DanSchwartzgan, Nowitzki Way, RoyTarpleysGhost, Smitty
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: All Things Christian Wood | extension "unlikely"? Mavs open to 2 yrs? - by F Gump - 01-04-2023, 04:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM