Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(12-13-2022, 09:36 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Idk if I can handle this board tbh

Let Wood succeed on another team. If there isn’t a good trade, waive him.

I actually am with Dan here. I was lukewarm when the Wood trade happened because I was fearful of his defense and question if he ever would be passable enough to play winning basketball. 

He's a great scorer and we shouldn't take that for granted, but how valuable is a player that can score you 20 but give up 25? 

I actually went through all of Wood's 20 minutes last night to see how many points he had a direct hand (i.e. forgetting a rotation) in OKC scoring because I had way too much time this morning and I was curious.

1st quarter- Wood checks in at 6:31 
  • 6:15- doesn't get back in transition which leads to SGA getting an easy layup (2pts)
  • 5:40- again doesn't sprint back, leaving THJ as the lone guy defending the rim. Giddy gets an easy 2. OKC pushing the pace and Wood can't hang (2pts)
  • 4:55- Wood doesn't box out, leading to Luka to yell at him. OKC only gets a chance at 2 there because Wood doesn't box out, but I won't pin this on him totally.
  • 2:31- Wood gets crossed up by Shai off a pick action and bites at his pump fake. Fouls. (2pts)
  • 1:31- In transition Wood forgets who his guy is and runs to the corner giving up a transition 3. (3pts) also the possession right before this he gave up another wide open three because Bullock and him miscommunicated a switch but he bricked it. 
  • TOTAL: Scores 2, Gives up 9. -7
2nd quarter- Wood starts and checks out with 8:11 remaining.
  • 10:53- A real ugly possession that is honestly equal faults of Bullock and Wood. RB doesn't rotate properly and takes his eyes off the ball. Wood doesn't sink in to deter the drive (but that's defendable to not give up a pass out.) Not gonna assign any blame but this is the 2nd egregious f up with both Bullock and Wood. 
  • 9:09- off a double screen Wood fails to stay high enough, giving an open mid range. (2pts)
  • 8:33- doesn't box out again like at all and OKC barely misses an alley-oop
  • TOTAL: Scores 0, Gives up 2. -2
3rd quarter- Wood checks in with 4:19 left
  • 3:42- Wood bites way too hard on a back cut putting him out of position on a Dort drive. Fouls. (2 pts)
  • 2:31- Not blaming Wood here per-se, because Luka needs to be better, but he really does sink too low and takes weird angles. SGA gets a free layup because Wood doesn't fully commit to guarding the rim. Could've contested this way better.
  • 0:40- Bullock gets blown by. And once again Wood out of position as the safety for the rim as he doesn't rotate over. Big dunk for SGA (2pts) 
  • 0:10- OKC figures out that the Bullock+Wood pairing is doo-doo and Shai gets an easy switch. Wood can't hang and Shai gets an easy mid range look that doesn't fall. 
  • TOTAL: Scores 2, Gives up 4. -2
4th Quarter- Wood checks out at 6:11 
  • 10:58- Wood literally forgets who he's guarding but Maxi saves his butt and switches it seamlessly. 
  • 7:06- Bullock doesn't freaking rotate over. But the real story is Wood not crashing the glass and Omoruyi gets the 2nd chance. OKC gets 3. Not going to give whole blame on Wood here. 
  • 6:11-Wood checks out and curiously walks all the way to the tunnel, untucking his jersey. Walks back out with McGee a minute later looking dejected.
  • TOTAL: Scores 4, Gives up 0. Total +4.
Overall Wood scored 8, but had a direct hand in giving up 15. Net -7.

Can't win games like that. I will say Wood was working in the 4th, but I figure Kidd is sick and tired of Wood forgetting to box out and takes him out. 

He's a fantastic scorer, and when fed can carry a unit. But he's a double edged sword. Mavs need to move on ASAP.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
[-] The following 4 users Like SleepingHero's post:
  • haveitall, MFFL, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: All Things Christian Wood | - by SleepingHero - 12-13-2022, 12:31 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM