Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
So...what it the general consensus on Wood's ability/skill level up to this point?  I find him hard to eval since he really hasnt played too much with what you would call a "kill" lineup.  I have seen him play with Luka, Green, DFS, Maxi which might be the ultimate kill squad we could put out with him...but they didnt look like they were playing Playoff style basketball.  As in...Kidd let them be on the court together but wasnt going to show the high gears of his best squad.  It kind of looked like a freestyle offense and defense...not coordinated and practiced.

Here is what I have noticed as a casual:

Cons

Typical Big with handles that thinks he can create on smaller, quicker, twitchier defenders and gets it ripped often

Seems to be a split second late defending around the rim.  Guys get buckets on him in the paint.

Cant stand how he doesnt get back on defense after he makes a 3 or dunks.  He has to stand there and do a gesture for the crowd or something.  I dont know why he seems to have to make a scene for a half second and then get back on defense.  Similar...if he gets scored on...he always throws his arms up like its not his fault and someone elses.   If he gets ball ripped or stolen on offense...a lot of times he stands there for a second and makes a gesture like he was fouled or its not his fault instead of hurrying back on defense.  He just always has to do something extracurricular that says "look at me" instead of doing what is best for team.

Pump fakes at 3 point line too much when he should have shot it.  

Dont like his shot selection sometimes.  18ft jumpers while guarded arent very good shots in todays game.

Seems to need to unnecessarily want to show off his dribbles around the arch.   This is the NBA...not rec league.  It comes across as amateurish and low IQ to me.  Read the room...this is the NBA...most guys can dribble and do dribble tricks but you dont see guys doing it in games because its unnecessary.  

Seems soft.  I think in Playoffs he gets completely abused by thicker more physical bigs.   A lot of teams go small ball in Playoffs though.

His game seems to be based on God given talent and not devotion to the craft.   Seems sloppy and unpolished but gifted.

Pros:

Good shot at all 3 levels

Great passer.  Doesnt seem selfish

Uncanny ability to get a shot off and it go in even in traffic or in weird unbalanced positions around the rim.  Just silky smooth touch like Jokic when shooting from 8ft in.

Seems to actually try on both ends even if his defense is in question.   His defensive issues seem to stem from either bad feel for game around the rim defending or slow processor of whats happening.  But he doesnt come across as lazy or uninterested on defense.

Seems to be able to catch a basketball in traffic instead of fumble it like Powell and Maxi

Seems to be able to give smaller quicker ball handlers problems on perimeter with his long length.  Doesnt seem to get put on roller skates easy in space.  I have seen a lot of kick outs when he is defending smaller players.

------
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: All Things Christian Wood | - by dynamicalVoid - 12-11-2022, 10:10 AM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM