Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(12-02-2022, 03:50 PM)F Gump Wrote: Cow, I agree that signing Pinson was utterly stupid. But he got the new Bobi role.
KL, yes the McGee signing looks quite awful so far. I'm hoping that will change.

However, the Mavs' inability to evaluate talent doesn't change anything. We wanted them to have a way to try, right?  Remember, this team was VERY thin last year, and that was a huge part of the wall they hit vs GS. They needed to move off those 4 and add some useful ones to the mix. And let's be real, Cuban wasn't going to spend an extra $Eleventy-Fourteen Million in tax by waiving a bunch of players and then paying more money to fill those slots again.. He just wasn't.

I'd wager getting Wood was less about Wood himself, and more about a Mav proposal (take our 4 junk bodies, give us an expiring salary match, and you get our pick) being shopped all around the league, and Wood was the best offer they got (the one they thought had the most potential for them) so they took it.

Looking at the big picture is what we need to do even if some of the execution afterwards was flawed (McGee, Pinson).  We also need to operate in the reality that Cuban is a cheap ass now.  

I think you are spot on with Wood being the best offer the could scrape together and had the highest likelihood of threading the needle and working out.  It's obvious Kidd doesn't want him.  And as much as I think Kidd sucks and the MBT suck at evaluations, the league seemingly has no use for Wood either.  Just look at what other players return in picks and what we paid for Wood.  

And that doesn't mean that it still can't work out with him.  I just think it's rather silly to pin our hopes on him even if he's our second best player.  Just saying that is rather damning of how this franchise is run.

It feels like we all get stuck in trying to salvage this mess when the obvious answer is to start over while Luka is still young.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: All Things Christian Wood | - by cow - 12-02-2022, 03:58 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM