Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(12-02-2022, 02:46 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: It's not that I don't understand or agree with what you're saying here. Trust me. 

I just don't think it's as binary as you Kamm are making it. You're replying like I'm on the opposite extreme from you, and I'm really not. In fact, I'm probably closer to where you are than where he is. 

But, here's what can't be denied, factually: The Mavericks are noticeably short on offensive talent. Wood has uncommonly rare offensive abilities. Now, it's clear that finding a way (or maybe even his potential to) apply them within a system to winning effect is going to be a process. And to be fair, they might be doing everything they possibly can behind the scenes, which I think is a large part of your point. 

But, you have to accept that this is going to be a frustrating time for all of us.

I thought so, too, at the time. I think I'd prefer to have the players and pick(ed player) back in hindsight (at this point, at least). To be fair, my opinion will swing back that way if the Wood thing starts to work out better as we go. But, it seems like you're saying their goal was to "dump" people and that Wood was just a secondary prize, and that they always knew the most likely outcome was simply letting him expire. 

I am NOT ok with them using the pick that way, sorry.

Re Wood and the minutes, I'm not binary at all. I think it's a process, and I'm just pushing back on the extremely simplistic whine (not saying it's yours, except when you defend it) that the process MUST be done in a way that gives Wood more minutes immediately and always, and that demands the Mavs course be tied to Wood's development.

Re Wood and the trade to get him, I'm with cow on that. I think the pick (a very low 1st-rounder in a draft that was about 15 deep in excellence, and then a big crapshoot after) was MOSTLY payment for getting rid of 4 bodies that they didn't want and couldn't use. Note that all those players except Bobi eventually were waived (that's their value) and also remember the Mavs needed roster spots badly. The Mavs were NOT going to waive those players if there was a way around it, because of the tax consequence on all the dead money. Freeing up 3 much-needed roster spots in a 4-for-1 had real roster-building value to them.

The Mavs have claimed that they got the guy anyhow that they would have drafted with that pick, so the net cost of Wood AND the garbage pickup was in total those 2 future 2nd rounders (what it cost to get Hardy). IMO quite reasonable, regardless of how it works out. And consider this -- would the Mavs have added 2 low-draft rookie players to the roster (Hardy PLUS another) that already was short on roster slots? I seriously doubt it.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: All Things Christian Wood | - by F Gump - 12-02-2022, 03:19 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM