Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
Apparently Brad “Mavs state media” Townsend did not actually say this.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
Assuming he starts and the Mavs have the #1 or #2 offense, I hope we don't trade for a player that doesn't want to be here based on some assumption he makes the defense/playmaking better.  Long live Jameer Nelson.
Like Reply
(11-25-2022, 02:46 PM)BoredAssistant Wrote: Assuming he starts and the Mavs have the #1 or #2 offense, I hope we don't trade for a player that doesn't want to be here based on some assumption he makes the defense/playmaking better.  Long live Jameer Nelson.

there's a timeline where we trade for Isaiah Thomas instead and I think it goes much better
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • BoredAssistant
Like Reply
Based on what we have seen so far there are two conclusions we might draw about this Wood situation:

1) Kidd is right and Wood is a fringe NBA player and needs to be limited in playing time and cannot be featured or leaned on. IF this is the case then the management decision to waste a 1st round pick on Wood is a total failure. Embarrassing for the Mavs.

2) Kidd is wrong and Wood is being mismanaged and not being put in a position to succeed. IF this is the case then the coaching is a total failure. Embarrassing for the Mavs. 

Of course with time another possibility could emerge, but right now whatever the outcome it seems likely the Mavs will come out looking embarrassing on either the coaching or GMing standpoint....maybe both.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BigDirk41
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/...55840?s=46&t=zaT7ioaVyOr53t2fkuljNA

Maxi is literally one of the few bigs you can get away with playing with another big man. That’s one of the reasons why Maxi is so valuable. This coach is a moron.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Kammrath
Like Reply
(11-26-2022, 08:46 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://twitter.com/sixfivelando/status/...55840?s=46&t=zaT7ioaVyOr53t2fkuljNA

Maxi is literally one of the few bigs you can get away with playing with another big man. That’s one of the reasons why Maxi is so valuable. This coach is a moron.

I'm counting just 2 bigs.
What is he talking about?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
Finishing with Maxi still doesn't excuse starting Powell.  That's just trolling at this point.
[-] The following 2 users Like Moviemavguy's post:
  • BasketballJones41, IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
(11-26-2022, 09:08 PM)Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo Wrote: I'm counting just 2 bigs.
What is he talking about?

I suppose he’s referring to Wood, Maxi and absolute NBA juggernauts Dwight, McShaqtin and Bertans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IamDougieFresh's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
Hate to say it, but Kidd looks like a proud individual who wouldn't acknowledge mistakes, the more you bring up corrections for him, the more he gets out of his way to prove his point. And when he realizes, things aren't working out for him, he doesn't totally abandon his stance, he slowly incorporates what others are telling him, saying its a gradual process.

I had a boss like him. Pushing a design error, I've seen the design faulty and pointed it out so many times, but he insisted on his way until he can't anymore. Too many bugs were happening and asked another to fix it for him. Took more time for the guy to know what's happening but he arrived at the same conclusion as mine.

The official statement? "WE found out that, minor corrections are to be made". Emphasis on the "WE" part, which doesn't include me. He was accountable for the mistake, but dragged someone else in the process.
[-] The following 3 users Like Razzmatazz_Hopskidillydoo's post:
  • BasketballJones41, IamDougieFresh, Kammrath
Like Reply
There is something about Wood I cant quite put my finger on.  He for sure has the gift of being able to score...no question.  But something about his game rubs me the wrong way.  Does he not look like a guy that has never worked on his game?  He seems so gifted yet...and I hate to use this word because it might not be what I am exactly trying to say...so sloppy.  He looks like a high school football player came into the basketball gym and running with the basketball players but just coasting on athleticism or God given talent.  He just doesnt seem like a crisp player to me...someone that is working on their game constantly.

Not saying he doesnt deserve to play or that I am anti-Wood...there is just something visibly off with his game to me.  It seems amateurish.
Like Reply
This isn’t to knock Wood because I want to see more of him.  I would rather see more of his sucking considering what else we have to offer.  But I think a lot of mav fans have gotten too goo goo over him with his scoring in bunches and it clouds the full picture of his game. He is really good at scoring in bunches but outside of his scoring in bunches in some games the rest of his game is really lacking.  I am much more interested long term with him on how he impacts games when he isn’t scoring.  Does he make winning plays?
Like Reply
(11-26-2022, 09:37 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: This isn’t to knock Wood because I want to see more of him.  I would rather see more of his sucking considering what else we have to offer.  But I think a lot of mav fans have gotten too goo goo over him with his scoring in bunches and it clouds the full picture of his game. He is really good at scoring in bunches but outside of his scoring in bunches in some games the rest of his game is really lacking.  I am much more interested long term with him on how he impacts games when he isn’t scoring.  Does he make winning plays?

He does rebound and passes really well.  Hes not a ball hog and I would argue he knows how to make the winning play offensively.  He hesitates on 3s that he should let go...but because of the hesitation the defender closes and Wood pump fakes and passes out...sometimes he will do a blow by.

He just doesnt have a deep bag of crisp skill.   A lot of what he does outside of scoring and passing seems amateurish to me.  I could be completely off though.

I do notice he is lazy at boxing out.  I dont rewatch games so I could be talking about something that isnt quite the case...but every time I do watch to see if he is boxing out...he doesnt.   Green on the other hand...is getting his caboose low in a squat position, walling off the player with his arms out wide and then walking players backwards sealing off rebounds for himself or other Mavs.

Wood...I am a big fan and a breathe of fresh air on this team...but something about his overall game is bothering me and I cant describe it.
Like Reply
My personal speculation/opinion on Wood and this situation:

1) Wood is struggling with this game Kidd is unnecessarily playing with him. Had a great game vs Boston and media speculation was that he Would start. Looked completely out of it in the first half but things turned around in the second before he was benched for Maxi.

2) Starting, consistent minutes, finishing the game and playing with Luka will unlock massive potential and the best version of the Mavs.
[-] The following 2 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
Like Reply
I had mentioned this about Wood when we got him. I drive a few times a month to Houston and had heard how down the Houston sports talk guys were with him. Over here we look at numbers and not day to day things.  There he was upset about minutes or role and flat out quit in some games.   

At the same time given the Mavs ineptitude for drafting it was a risk worth taking giving up a first round pick for him. However can we please stop saying how the coach is holding back someone who is 27 and has been on plenty of teams?  All a coach has is minutes to get through to someone.  What we are saying is give him minutes because others have glaring faults as well. Kidd might be thinking this is one of the few guys other than Luka who has legit talent and hence wants him to do things that he is obviously not doing either on or off the court. He might be holding him to a higher standard than others because the reward if he can get Wood to buy in will be greater.  

Just throwing that out there as a possibility.  Either way I refuse to get frustrated because mgmt just let a really solid NBA player and our 2nd best player get away for nothing. Those things cannot be easily made up on a talent depleted roster to begin with. At this point though we have a generational talent and it is not good to waste any year, it might just be best to give ourselves the best chance to get a top pick next year.
[-] The following 2 users Like hakeemfaan's post:
  • F Gump, Smitty
Like Reply
Another terrible outing for Wood, Christian.
Like Reply
I just think Kidd doesn't believe in Wood at this point, in which case they should move on quicker than later.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
Anyone notice how he seems to complain to the bench it wasnt his fault when someone in the paint scores.  Whether he is right or wrong...its not a good look.  Im not trying to criticize the guy too much.   But I hate seeing him either not take responsibility or blame someone else.  Anyone else notice how he seems to point out something after someone near him gets a bucket in the paint?  Like he is saying its not his fault its someone elses.

Anyway...Im rooting it works out.
Like Reply
(11-26-2022, 10:49 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: I just think Kidd doesn't believe in Wood at this point, in which case they should move on quicker than later.

You're right...only I'm starting to feel like the guy they should move on from is Kidd.
[-] The following 2 users Like KillerLeft's post:
Like Reply
Such a frustrating season so far. Having to rely on players like Wood (by playing more) and Green (by making a "leap") to turn around this season is such an uninspiring predicament.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BolsDamols's post:
  • dynamicalVoid
Like Reply
(11-26-2022, 11:49 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: You're right...only I'm starting to feel like the guy they should move on from is Kidd.

[Image: tumblr_o6ni32KWDK1s2wio8o1_1280.gif]
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BasketballJones41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply