Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(11-24-2022, 10:41 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I'm with FGump on this (though I'll try to come across in a less caustic manner).   The easy explanation is Wood makes a lot of mistakes.  The coach would like him to make fewer mistakes.  The only real control the coach has is controlling minutes until Wood starts doing fewer bad things.  I think Kidd is actually protecting Wood by holding down how much he is exposed to starting bigs.  The GM said from day one that Wood would need to prove it.  I don't see a conflict there.  Even if there was a conflict, our ability to determine that from anything other than supposition is just about nil.

I also think the theory that Kidd is willing to undermine his own self-interest to 'teach Wood a lesson' is a non-starter (get it Smile ).  It is perfectly logical that Kidd might be taking a longer term view than those of us who judge this on a game by game basis.  The longer view being Dallas might actually have a gem on their hands if they can just get Wood to be in the right spot and play within the system.

As illustrated in my game post, the two blowout wins really skew the +/- numbers for Wood.  Outside of those two games, his net impact is about net neutral (which underperforms the team and comes mostly against back-ups).  I'm with you that it is probably time to give him a shot despite the shortcomings.  I'm very much against simply putting him in as a Powell replacement with the other four current starters.  If someone really wants Wood to succeed, Maxi and Green need to go in with Wood in place of Powell, Bullock and Dinwiddie.  Luka, Green, DFS, Wood and Maxi is out highest upside lineup.  There is no guarantee it will work, but what we are doing now isn't working all that well either.

I agree. Excellent post.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smitty's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: All Things Christian Wood | - by Smitty - 11-24-2022, 10:46 AM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM