Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
(11-21-2022, 02:07 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Here's the rub:

This is probably 100% accurate. Right on the money. 

But, in the Mavs' situation, they need him to "figure things out" or "fit here" or "work out" or however you want to couch it, just as badly as Wood does, if not more. I think that's where the frustration is coming from. 

This could be wrong also, for all the same "we're not on the inside" reasons you hint at above, but from an outside POV it sure seems like an attitude of "hey, we're a deep playoff team without him, so if he wants to get paid it's up to him to live up to what we're asking of him" is being adopted. Only, this team, without Brunson, might not BE a playoff team. 

The Mavs NEED Wood to work here. BADLY.

I agree somewhat.  

What I mean is that by December of last year the Mavs had cycled through six covid replacements, and played at center Powell, Chriss, M Brown and Boban. Chriss is no longer in the league. This year, Boban has appeared in six games for another team and is averaging 3 minutes--Moses Brown a whopping 4 minutes. 

So last year the team had one playable center - Powell - averaging around 21 minutes. And Kleber (who is not a center but is, in fact, a stretch four in the world according to V) played some center. Yet they reached the WCF.

Powell and Kleber are still here. Plus the Mavs added McGee who should eventually be playable once he figures out what the hell is going on around here. 

So do the Mavs need another center? Yes and no. The center situation isn't great, but last year the team played its best with two guards, two wings and Kleber. 

And don't look now, but I don't think Wood is a center anyway. He's big forward. Same as maybe their two best defenders in Kleber and DFS. And the same as their most lethal shooter in Bertans. 

So I don't think Dallas needs Wood to work to be successful. Obviously it's ideal (for a bunch of reasons) but the Mavs have two proven defensive guys who play Wood's position and a 40% career 3pt shooter who stretches the floor whether he's making them or missing them. 

What I will say is Dallas needs to replace Brunson's scoring, penetration and mid-range shooting. Wood is a candidate to provide the scoring, but so is THJ. Green is a dark horse who could turn a corner. 

But Dallas also needs improved play from the center position e.g. rim deterrence, physicality and rebounding. And better bench consistency. And better shot creation. And better shot variance. And better ball handling. And better ... well honestly there are a lot of things they need that aren't likely to come with more minutes for Wood.

Of course, the best case scenario is Wood puts it all together an outplays DFS, Kleber, Powell and McGee. Bumps DFS to SF and Bullock or Dinwiddie to the bench. Or bumps Kleber at crunch time. Or bumps Powell from the starting lineup. Or all three. He certainly has the talent to do it. Guess we'll see.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vfromlmf's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: All Things Christian Wood | - by vfromlmf - 11-21-2022, 06:48 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-09-2023, 03:27 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 05:56 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by MFFL - 02-09-2023, 06:07 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-10-2023, 03:18 PM
RE: THE CRUCIFIX: Wood survives the TDL - by cow - 02-14-2023, 03:30 PM