• Offensive-Rating: 134.0 
  • Defensive-Rating: 105.9 
  • Net-Rating: +28.1 

Wood Off-Court...
  • 65 mins
  • Offensive Rating: 107.6 
  • Defensive Rating: 109.0 
  • Net Rating: -1.4

The Mavs have been the best team in the NBA when Wood has played in three games. They have been mediocre at best when Wood has been sitting on the bench. And yet Kidd has insisted on sitting Wood for some of the most critical moments in the Mavs two 2-point losses and play him only 26 mins/gm. 

The Mavs cannot afford to sit its second best player when it matters most and for almost half the game.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BigDirk41, IamDougieFresh, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I just dont buy "Its the beginning of the season and we're tinkering" excuse or "We're not going to show our whole hand early in the season"

Its bad excuses and when players get upset about a bad excuse its them thats the problem.

Its a psychology trap.

You cant discuss a team seriously until a month before the playoffs because 3/4 the season is not showing what the team can really do.  I get that there are new players in the league every year and teams change every year so the defensive schemes on changed teams will cause Mavs to do things different in Playoffs and Mavs will have to do things different on offense to beat a team with a new defensive stud on it...but the player rotation thing should not be an issue.  Teams know who our toughest top 5 guys are that will play late in important games or in playoffs...so just play them in those games early in the season.

Its all to get you triggered.  Its childish.
Like Reply
Exactly as I was saying a few days back. It’s childish to play psychological games with grown men. And promising McGee a starting spot and third year is just more poor negotiating from a franchise noted for that. Wood needs to start sooner than later. And play between 28-35 minutes per night, depending on game and scheduling circumstances
[-] The following 1 user Likes MarkAguirreWrathofGod's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
So, it doesn’t really matter much to me whether or not Wood starts (I do suspect HE will make that an issue sooner or later, and in all honesty, he could replace Bullock at this point). However, he absolutely needs 32 mpg and a closer spot in the rotation!
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 07:03 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: IamDougieFresh seriously starts to prefer Dwight to McShaqtin

Told ya
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • IamDougieFresh
Like Reply
[Image: 6yevwh.jpg]
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
[-] The following 3 users Like IamDougieFresh's post:
  • Dahlsim, KillerLeft, SleepingHero
Like Reply
I calculated this by hand so there is bound to be human error but I wanted to see the win % of games Wood has appeared in.  Even going 1-3 for the Mavs raises his career average.

15-16: 0-17 0%
16-17: 5-13 38%
17-18: 13-21 61%
19-20: 20-62 32%
20-21: 12-41 29%
21-22: 19-68 27%
22-23: 1-3 33%

Granted he's been part of some bad/tanking teams.
Like Reply
McGee has had some pretty bad moments, but guys...  ALL C's do.  He has done some good things on both sides of the floor.  They've played 3 games and have started two of those very well.  He has defended the paint well and has even had some good moments on the perimeter.  ALL C's are going to be made to look silly by G's on drop coverage at times.  It is what this league does!  There is WAY too much hate for McGee and his 13 min/game this early in the season.

I think that it is being fueled by Wood not starting.  There is definitely a method to this madness if you aren't blinded by an agenda.  Wood is going to play more minutes - that is obvious.  I hope we get there faster, but I am not going to poo poo McGee's contributions.  He has been solid on the court and entertaining to watch.  The players love him, too.  It is a beating to keep hearing people crap on McGee!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mavsfan12's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 06:23 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: McGee has had some pretty bad moments, but guys...  ALL C's do.  He has done some good things on both sides of the floor.  They've played 3 games and have started two of those very well.  He has defended the paint well and has even had some good moments on the perimeter.  ALL C's are going to be made to look silly by G's on drop coverage at times.  It is what this league does!  There is WAY too much hate for McGee and his 13 min/game this early in the season.

I think that it is being fueled by Wood not starting.  There is definitely a method to this madness if you aren't blinded by an agenda.  Wood is going to play more minutes - that is obvious.  I hope we get there faster, but I am not going to poo poo McGee's contributions.  He has been solid on the court and entertaining to watch.  The players love him, too.  It is a beating to keep hearing people crap on McGee!

https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1...59425?s=46&t=PkJuuZJ2FEGdQeiQCGiiRA
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 06:41 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: https://twitter.com/grantafseth/status/1...59425?s=46&t=PkJuuZJ2FEGdQeiQCGiiRA

I have given up on this boards evaluation of bigs. Beyond any help. They celebrated when the Mavs wasted an offseason and signed DAJ. Wanted the Mavs to sign Whiteside. Refused to accept that KP is a defensive liability.
It´s never going to change.
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 06:57 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I have given up on this boards evaluation of bigs. Beyond any help. They celebrated when the Mavs wasted an offseason and signed DAJ. Wanted the Mavs to sign Whiteside. Refused to accept that KP is a defensive liability.

Never spend money on a traditional big.  Never spend big money on a player taller than 6'11".  MBT got that partially correct with McGee.
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 09:43 AM)Kammrath Wrote: RE: My Frustration with Kidd Limiting Wood's Minutes

Wood On-Court... 
  • 79 mins
  • Offensive-Rating: 134.0 
  • Defensive-Rating: 105.9 
  • Net-Rating: +28.1 

Wood Off-Court...
  • 65 mins
  • Offensive Rating: 107.6 
  • Defensive Rating: 109.0 
  • Net Rating: -1.4

The Mavs have been the best team in the NBA when Wood has played in three games. They have been mediocre at best when Wood has been sitting on the bench. And yet Kidd has insisted on sitting Wood for some of the most critical moments in the Mavs two 2-point losses and play him only 26 mins/gm. 

The Mavs cannot afford to sit its second best player when it matters most and for almost half the game.

Now do Josh Green.
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 06:57 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I have given up on this boards evaluation of bigs. Beyond any help. They celebrated when the Mavs wasted an offseason and signed DAJ. Wanted the Mavs to sign Whiteside. Refused to accept that KP is a defensive liability.

I don't recall the board being collectively excited with Daj or Whiteside and KP was a plus defender the first season he played for us.  We spent 5 mil on a backup center that this place was collectively not happy about.  Feels like straw men.
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 11:04 PM)mvossman Wrote: I don't recall the board being collectively excited with Daj or Whiteside and KP was a plus defender the first season he played for us.  We spent 5 mil on a backup center that this place was collectively not happy about.  Feels like straw men.

I remember getting into some nasty arguments with a couple of posters that are still active. Especially in the second DAJ summer. And most of you probably know about my crusade against KP.
But it´s not like it is going to change a thing. I already stated it in the offseason. Nothing beats the selective amnesia and herd mentality of sports fanbases. With the opinion changes when it comes to KP and JB as the most recent examples.
Like Reply
(10-26-2022, 11:18 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I remember getting into some nasty arguments with a couple of posters that are still active. Especially in the second DAJ summer. And most of you probably know about my crusade against KP.
But it´s not like it is going to change a thing. I already stated it in the offseason. Nothing beats the selective amnesia and herd mentality of sports fanbases. With the opinion changes when it comes to KP and JB as the most recent examples.

I feel like there is a tendency to interpret a couple of active posters as the entire board when there are actually a lot of different viewpoints.  I also don't know why you would attribute amnesia and herd mentality to KP and JB.  Viewpoints on those two changed as their performances did.
Like Reply
Wood is basically the only player besides Luka on this team with potential to be a difference maker.  I’d just hate for the Mavs to lose him like they did Brunson and be down to a one man team. Also, Luka is not someone you want to deal with when he’s playing so well and the team is still losing. That will be bad.  Wins are more important right now than tough love.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ThisIStheYear's post:
  • dynamicalVoid
Like Reply
I hate Wood only playing 24 mins. I know he was in foul trouble, but if you aren't going to play him anyway at least let him get 6 fouls.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BigDirk41, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-27-2022, 09:46 PM)Kammrath Wrote: I hate Wood only playing 24 mins. I know he was in foul trouble, but if you aren't going to play him anyway at least let him get 6 fouls.

I couldn't really focus on the game, but.. did Simmons get to guard Wood a significant portion of minutes?
Simmons might be one of the best defenders for a player like Wood who likes to put the ball on the floor.
Like Reply
Simmons ripped Wood at least twice.  Wood needs to be smart about putting on the floor against quicker players.  Wood is great at dribbling for his size but you have to protect the rock when close to quick guys.
Like Reply
I know it's really early in the season and he had 5 fouls this game, but I'm wondering if we should just look to trade Wood by the deadline. It's clear that Kidd doesn't trust his defense which is why he goes with Maxi at the end of games. Wood might be able to command 20+ million a year this summer and there is no point in paying that much for a 25mpg bench player you can't trust at the end of games. We need to either commit to giving him 30+ mpg every night and treat him like our second star, or we need to move on before we lose him for nothing. 

It is very early in the season, but Kidd is a defensive coach, that isn't going to change. He's going to demand defense and Wood is at best adequate when he's giving 100% effort and there is no telling if he'll keep the effort up once he's no longer in a contract year considering his history.
Like Reply