Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
THE CRUCIFIX: Cato: Wood isn't thrilled w/ his role...Will depart in the summer
Is he distracted off the court, physically a lazy person(doesnt like to practice, doesnt like giving physical effort daily) or just have attitude issues?  Seems as though you could find out about his work ethic or laziness by making him practice hard and playing him a lot over the next few months and see if you can tell if he likes banging in the paint night in and night out or if he gets frustrated about it.  That would tell you what youre going to get after he gets paid.
Like Reply
(10-22-2022, 12:29 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Is he distracted off the court, physically a lazy person(doesnt like to practice, doesnt like giving physical effort daily) or just have attitude issues?  Seems as though you could find out about his work ethic or laziness by making him practice hard and playing him a lot over the next few months and see if you can tell if he likes banging in the paint night in and night out or if he gets frustrated about it.  That would tell you what youre going to get after he gets paid.
Maybe we could bring him off the bench and make him earn his spot in the closing lineup to test his mental toughness? Seems like a good plan

He has had issues with being late and showing up to practice. Reports from the mavs are that he has not been late all summer for anything 

Either he wants to win or he wants the bag. That will be the true test. He must accept the max extension. It could even have a 2nd year player option so he could get out after one year if it’s too bad of a deal. We will not pay the tax next year so there’s no other way
Like Reply
(10-22-2022, 12:45 PM)Jason Terry Wrote: Maybe we could bring him off the bench and make him earn his spot in the closing lineup to test his mental toughness? Seems like a good plan

He has had issues with being late and showing up to practice. Reports from the mavs are that he has not been late all summer for anything 

Either he wants to win or he wants the bag. That will be the true test. He must accept the max extension. It could even have a 2nd year player option so he could get out after one year if it’s too bad of a deal. We will not pay the tax next year so there’s no other way

In sports...Im all about playing your best players when it matters.  The head games in sports are a little unnecessary to me.

He most likely isnt going to act up before his big bag...but you could probably find out about his laziness without playing weird mind games with him.  And...whos to say that doesnt make him go sour on the Mavs if he feels like there is way more going on than just basketball?  It would seem that pas coaches and teammates would be able to tell you exactly how this guy is mentally....is he lazy, is he only into bball for a paycheck or does he love it, does he have attitude issues or hard to get along with?  Showing up late to practice has got to be frustrating...but how late and how often?  Seems like you give a guy as talented as him star treatment on late to practice depending on how often and how late.
Like Reply
(10-22-2022, 01:00 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: In sports...Im all about playing your best players when it matters.  The head games in sports are a little unnecessary to me.

He most likely isnt going to act up before his big bag...but you could probably find out about his laziness without playing weird mind games with him.  And...whos to say that doesnt make him go sour on the Mavs if he feels like there is way more going on than just basketball?  It would seem that pas coaches and teammates would be able to tell you exactly how this guy is mentally....is he lazy, is he only into bball for a paycheck or does he love it, does he have attitude issues or hard to get along with?  Showing up late to practice has got to be frustrating...but how late and how often?  Seems like you give a guy as talented as him star treatment on late to practice depending on how often and how late.
I don’t think it’s mind games. It’s the coaching staff asserting their authority 

People change over time. Especially throughout their 20’s. This is a situation Wood has never been exposed to. We (and he) have no idea how he will react to his new environment. Past history isn’t always an indicator of future actions
Like Reply
(10-22-2022, 12:11 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Id take slightly lesser defensive player with similar size that can catch passes, doesnt make lazy passes or horrible passes that get stolen, can do basic dribbling and has a basic feel for the game(doesnt airball layups or throw ball over the backboard when trying to give someone an alli-oop).

I get what your saying...but, imo, you need better all around bball players on the court to be really competitive in the NBA.  People dog on Goberts skills and only being defense...dude is way better at everything than Maxi.  You have to be able to at least dribble to score on blow-bys or make a decent pass to another teammate after your blow-by.  You have to have basic bball skills or your leaving lots of points on the court that other teams finish at a normal clip.  IMO, last two years Luka has been surrounded by guys like that other than Brunson.

Gobert just got traded for 5 firsts and is making 46 mil a year.  I have no idea why we are comparing Maxi to him.

For a team centered around Luka and a limited number of defensive players, defense is at a premium.  A plus defensive player that can space the floor on offense is the most efficient (cap cost) player you can pair with Luka.  Iztok did an article recently that showed how Luka did in the playoffs with 1, 2 or 3 3&D players (he only considered DFS, Maxi and Bullock in that category).  It was glaring.  The more 3&D guys he played with, the better the net rating (like -10, 0, +7).

I don't think the issue is that our 3&D guys don't do a lot of basketball things on the offensive side, I think the real issues is that our high dollar offensive players (Timmy, Bertans, Powell) are too one dimensional offensively and don't create for themselves or others.

If actually did manage to get our hands on this mythical player you describe that can guard both the rim and the perimeter while being able to space the floor and do other bbal things, I would want that guy in addition to Maxi, not instead of.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mvossman's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
(10-22-2022, 02:37 PM)mvossman Wrote: Gobert just got traded for 5 firsts and is making 46 mil a year.  I have no idea why we are comparing Maxi to him.

For a team centered around Luka and a limited number of defensive players, defense is at a premium.  A plus defensive player that can space the floor on offense is the most efficient (cap cost) player you can pair with Luka.  Iztok did an article recently that showed how Luka did in the playoffs with 1, 2 or 3 3&D players (he only considered DFS, Maxi and Bullock in that category).  It was glaring.  The more 3&D guys he played with, the better the net rating (like -10, 0, +7).

I don't think the issue is that our 3&D guys don't do a lot of basketball things on the offensive side, I think the real issues is that our high dollar offensive players (Timmy, Bertans, Powell) are too one dimensional offensively and don't create for themselves or others.

If actually did manage to get our hands on this mythical player you describe that can guard both the rim and the perimeter while being able to space the floor and do other bbal things, I would want that guy in addition to Maxi, not instead of.
Yes. Iztok knows what’s up. We need more 3 and D guys. If all we do is move one of THJ/Bert and add just one more two way player over the next year it would be a success
Like Reply
Im just trying to point out we have a team littered with players that have glaring flaws or lack basic bball skills.

I personally would prefer to not have someone on the court that is so bad offensively.  In the playoffs when teams tighten it up, your star has to pass out of tough defense...and if he is surrounded by guys that fumble the ball, dont know how to pass, cant catch a pass, make lazy passes, cant put the ball on the floor or just have little feel for the game of basketball...I think its bad.   You need more well rounded players that also play defense and have decent height.

I dont want to pile on Maxi...I just dont like putting players like that on the court.  My opinion.  I dont want dudes that can only stand and shoot on offense.
Like Reply
(10-22-2022, 03:10 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: Im just trying to point out we have a team littered with players that have glaring flaws or lack basic bball skills.

I personally would prefer to not have someone on the court that is so bad offensively.  In the playoffs when teams tighten it up, your star has to pass out of tough defense...and if he is surrounded by guys that fumble the ball, dont know how to pass, cant catch a pass, make lazy passes, cant put the ball on the floor or just have little feel for the game of basketball...I think its bad.   You need more well rounded players that also play defense and have decent height.

I dont want to pile on Maxi...I just dont like putting players like that on the court.  My opinion.  I dont want dudes that can only stand and shoot on offense.

Is there a single team in the league that doesn´t have at least 1-2 of those guys? Many of them could sign with any contender and immediately get minutes. Just looking at some of the bigger guys that play PF/C.  PJ Tucker (cannot dribble, cannot finish in the paint). RoCo (cannot dribble, cannot finish in the paint). As others already stated. You don´t need five guys that can do it all (of course you want that in a perfect scenario but how many teams have that? GS, maybe Boston...the two finalists).

Lets reverse the conversation. How important is Maxi´s flexibility on defense. If a Mavs player misses a rotation or cannot stay in front of his defender. If Luka is struggling on defense. Who is going to make up for it? Maybe the guy that can do it all on defense. Can defend the post. Can switch and defend the perimeter. Offers some rim protection. Boxes out. Is there another guy on the team that can do all of that. Is he the only well rounded defender? And what about the league. How many guys can do all of that? What kind of role do they have? How much money do they make?
[-] The following 4 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • ballsrchr, MFFL, mvossman, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
I prefer more well rounded offensive players that dont play scared.  Its not one or two flaws...hes awful on offense and is afraid to have ball in his hands and cant figure out what to do with it in his hands quick enough.  I prefer attacking players on offense...he cant attack.  We can argue that hes not asked to do that...it doesnt matter anyway...hes bad on offense, man...to the point I would prefer a lesser defender with less offensive flaws as Maxi.  

I just prefer players that arent complete voids on one side of the ball or the other...guy is a complete void on offense.  Argue with me about Luka being a void on defense...because I dont think Maxi is so good at defense that he can win you a Championship with it.
Like Reply
For the record in the case that you care...Green THJ and Maxi need to be upgraded, imo. Too many flaws.  If you want to keep Maxi so be it...I just do not want him on the floor more than you have to have him.  If we arent getting PNR'd to death...keep him on the bench please.  

Perfect example is Reggie Bullock.  He has flaws...not a great dribbler/creator...but he can actually dribble a basketball if he needed to and pass or catch a basketball if needed.  Youre wiping the sweat off your forehead if Maxi accomplishes one of those basic bball skills.  Green Maxi and THJ have glaring issues that make me believe the team should try and upgrade them by moving on.
Like Reply
(10-22-2022, 05:11 PM)dynamicalVoid Wrote: For the record in the case that you care...Green THJ and Maxi need to be upgraded, imo. Too many flaws.  If you want to keep Maxi so be it...I just do not want him on the floor more than you have to have him.  If we arent getting PNR'd to death...keep him on the bench please.  

Perfect example is Reggie Bullock.  He has flaws...not a great dribbler/creator...but he can actually dribble a basketball if he needed to and pass or catch a basketball if needed.  Youre wiping the sweat off your forehead if Maxi accomplishes one of those basic bball skills.  Green Maxi and THJ have glaring issues that make me believe the team should try and upgrade them by moving on.

Agree to disagree.  I think you are underselling his defensive contributions and overselling his offensive limitations.
[-] The following 4 users Like mvossman's post:
  • AgGiE1991, DallasMaverick, F Gump, MFFL
Like Reply
(10-19-2022, 11:46 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: Not to overact from one game, but that is exactly what I am going to do.

The narrative against Wood has been so fucking cringe. Isaac Harris of locked on Mavs is probably crying rn. Kidd playing hardball with the starting position is moronic. Shocker. I'm right again.

Wood is him. I am right again!
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
I might be in love. 25pts/12reb without any need to force feed him. No calls for post ups. Getting his numbers without any disruption of the flow.
[-] The following 2 users Like dirkfansince1998's post:
  • BoredAssistant, KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/espn_macmahon/status...2190541824
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/DorothyJGentry/statu...9431333888
Like Reply
Wood is playing well so far. Small sample size. But obviously quite promising.

But if you're antsy for a Wood extension, there's nothing to be done right now. It's not even worth asking his agent, because the limit that could be offered is so relatively tiny (they could only tack on another 2 years, 30.8M total, yr 1 about 15M).

That changes near the eoy. So the Mavs have no choice, and a nice window of forced waiting, to get a fuller look-see on how it continues, and then make an offer at the eoy if it makes sense (at which time they could add on as much as 3 years, 56M total, yr 1 about 17.2M).

Those latter numbers would put him into the pay range of SD and beyond THJ (the latter is obviously quite overpaid, but slotting Wood up near the SD range feels right, based on perceived importance derived from a limited sample size).
[-] The following 1 user Likes F Gump's post:
  • Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
BTW, if I'm the Mavs, I'm shooting at selling Wood on getting the 6th Man award this season. That focuses him on a goal that works with their rotation, rather than a different one (starting) that causes issues. And it should be very possible for him, in his role.

Is Wood being somewhat slotted into the role of the 3rd offense creator, that helps open up the possibilities for the Luka-SD duo (just like SD did for Luka-JB last season? Is that possible? Not that his game is anything like JB's, but it seems Wood's ability to get a good shot with great regularity is already hinting at the potential for a similar 3-way dynamic as we saw at the end of last season.
Like Reply
Still waiting for the other shoe to drop and wondering what the catch is with this dude.  Even if he drops off a bit from his hot start, either of those extension numbers seems like really good value for a 20-10 guy.  He already has Luka's trust and way more confidence than Luka ever found in KP.  His feel in the pick and roll game is exactly the partner that Luka needs and his passing/decision making is a nice surprise.  So why has this guy bounced around so much?  

My guess is that if his current level of play continues and he's in the running for 6th man of the year, he'll not be signing an extension.
Like Reply
6 MOY don't tend to get over-the-moon deals, which ought to help. (Mid-level, or maybe 40-50% of a max, and you can go back and look at pay for guys like Jamal Crawford, Lou Williams, Montrezl Harrell, Clarkson, Jason Terry, etc.) That award lops off any competition from starters, who are not eligible, and so the salaries tend to be in a solid but somewhat lower range.
Like Reply
(10-23-2022, 02:33 AM)F Gump Wrote: 6 MOY don't tend to get over-the-moon deals, which ought to help. (Mid-level, or maybe 40-50% of a max, and you can go back and look at pay for guys like Jamal Crawford, Lou Williams, Montrezl Harrell, Clarkson, Jason Terry, etc.) That award lops off any competition from starters, who are not eligible, and so the salaries tend to be in a solid but somewhat lower range.

If he averages 20-10, I believe he'd be the only 6MOY.  Last years 6MOY got 4yr/120m.  /way too early
Like Reply