RFA: Ayton agrees to 4yr/$133M offer w/ IND | PHX matches
I wonder if Cuban would have even matched on Brunson if he had the option
Thinking the coming tax bill really scared him
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jym's post:
  • HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...0499095552
Like Reply
Suns did not want to lose a major asset for nothing...what a concept!
[-] The following 10 users Like BolsDamols's post:
  • BigDirk41, dirkfansince1998, DrMav, hakeemfaan, khaled1987, KillerLeft, MaxiThreeba, omahen, RoyTarpleysGhost, Scott41theMavs
Like Reply
Hard to imagine this was the desired outcome for basically anyone involved. I wonder what happened to start all of this prematurely.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • DallasMaverick
Like Reply
(07-14-2022, 07:54 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Hard to imagine this was the desired outcome for basically anyone involved. I wonder what happened to start all of this prematurely.

This was Ayton wanting closure/certainty.  I bet he told Indy I'll only sign with you if we do it now.  Now he has his Max and all the power.
[-] The following 3 users Like RasheedsBigWhiteSpot's post:
  • hakeemfaan, HoosierDaddyKid, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-14-2022, 08:55 PM)RasheedsBigWhiteSpot Wrote: This was Ayton wanting closure/certainty.  I bet he told Indy I'll only sign with you if we do it now.  Now he has his Max and all the power.

Yeah, maybe. But, he has to play in PHX now. Maybe that doesn't matter to him as much as I thought.
Like Reply
(07-14-2022, 08:58 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: Yeah, maybe. But, he has to play in PHX now. Maybe that doesn't matter to him as much as I thought.

For a couple of month. Money in the bag. Now he can throw the usual superstar tantrum and force his way out if he really wants to.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dirkfansince1998's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(07-14-2022, 07:21 PM)Smitty Wrote: Easy decision. It’s what any good FO would do.

You're not sending subliminal messages are you?
Like Reply
(07-14-2022, 09:03 PM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: You're not sending subliminal messages are you?

I would never do such a thing…
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, HoosierDaddyKid
Like Reply
(07-14-2022, 07:36 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status...0499095552

Whut? It was pretty clear that Ayton and the Suns were done after the playoffs. 

It's pretty obvious they'll ship him out at the first opportunity.

If it's for Durant and they have to wait months to do it, then Rick and Co. just cost themselves a fair amount of dead roster money for the thrill of trolling the league royally.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/KeithSmithNBA/status...6074311687
Like Reply
You got to imagine Ayton is just a little bit pissed.

This was originally close to what PHX was offering him last summer, 4/133. Ayton wanted the full max and was mad that they didn't give it to him.

I'm sure he's as good as gone on his next contract, and probably is looking for any reason to request a trade out.

His own coach threw him under the bus after the playoffs too.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/AnilGognaNBA/status/...0733550592
Like Reply
https://www.netsdaily.com/2022/7/14/2321...-elsewhere
Like Reply
(07-14-2022, 11:40 PM)SleepingHero Wrote: You got to imagine Ayton is just a little bit pissed.

This was originally close to what PHX was offering him last summer, 4/133. Ayton wanted the full max and was mad that they didn't give it to him.

I'm sure he's as good as gone on his next contract, and probably is looking for any reason to request a trade out.

His own coach threw him under the bus after the playoffs too.

From what I hear, Ayton didn't want to re-enter the game in that Dallas blowout when Monty told him to go back in.  Can't confirm that, it's what I heard. I understand that from Ayton's POV, but you can't disrespect the coach like that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HoosierDaddyKid's post:
  • SleepingHero
Like Reply
If I was a Pacers fan, I would still be pissed.  It was reported the Owner had some sort of moral code of offering a restricted FA.   At least he finally agreed to do that.  But not making a trade kicker or a player option for year 4 is just lame.  Add some extra pain to PHX.   I am sure they would sign either way, but the offer sheet they did was pretty easy for PHX to match.
Like Reply
(07-15-2022, 09:00 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: If I was a Pacers fan, I would still be pissed.  It was reported the Owner had some sort of moral code of offering a restricted FA.   At least he finally agreed to do that.  But not making a trade kicker or a player option for year 4 is just lame.  Add some extra pain to PHX.   I am sure they would sign either way, but the offer sheet they did was pretty easy for PHX to match.

Seems to me, Indy was just doing a favor to Ayton and his agent. Its not like they can use their cap space for someone better and they still have their cap space to gather assets. I am pretty sure they knew Phoenix will match their offer.
[-] The following 2 users Like omahen's post:
  • ItsGoTime, KillerLeft
Like Reply
What this does do is allow Rick and the Pacers to troll the Mavs specifically by using their cap space to overpay the scrap heap guys left so that the Mavs can't even get those to shore up their roster.
Like Reply
I am kinda surprised Ayton hasn't developed a reasonable 3PT shot by now. That was one of the alluring factors to his game in college. I thought he had that potential at the next level. His shooting stroke is solid for a big, maybe it's Monty that limits him but who knows. 

The contract doesn't look nearly as bad if he can become a stretch 5, imho. Either way, PHX will still be a formidable team. Maybe Ayton does take that next step and the offense is mainly focused on him and Booker then Paul third.
Like Reply
(07-15-2022, 02:11 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: I am kinda surprised Ayton hasn't developed a reasonable 3PT shot by now. That was one of the alluring factors to his game in college. I thought he had that potential at the next level. His shooting stroke is solid for a big, maybe it's Monty that limits him but who knows. 

The contract doesn't look nearly as bad if he can become a stretch 5, imho. Either way, PHX will still be a formidable team. Maybe Ayton does take that next step and the offense is mainly focused on him and Booker then Paul third.

Phoenix will be a better team when they trade him for whoever they're planning on trading him for. Smoke they've been blowing recently notwithstanding, it's pretty clear that divorce is coming. It's just been delayed. Much like JB if we had retained him, but a much more toxic situation.
Like Reply