Poll: How many games will the Mavs win in 2019-20?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
60+
0%
0 0%
57-59
0%
0 0%
54-56
0%
0 0%
51-53
16.13%
5 16.13%
48-50
16.13%
5 16.13%
45-47
32.26%
10 32.26%
42-44
29.03%
9 29.03%
39-41
6.45%
2 6.45%
36-38
0%
0 0%
35 or less
0%
0 0%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Official Pre-Training-Camp 2019-20 Mavs Record Predictions
https://twitter.com/All_Things_Mavs/stat...2927956994
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Per Lowe:

[b]Mavs[/b]
• I am a little higher on San Antonio and Dallas than most projection systems. Delon Wright and Seth Curry are nice complements to the Luka Doncic-Kristaps Porzingis centerpiece. Almost everyone on the roster is, really. Rival executives are skeptical about the Mavs' depth, but Rick Carlisle always builds a functional misfit toys bench.
Wright and Dwight Powell seem like no-brainer starters. The last spot could go to a gunner -- Curry or Tim Hardaway Jr. -- or a low-usage 3-and-D facsimile like Justin Jackson or Dorian Finney-Smith. Three of those four will come off the bench, along with Jalen BrunsonMaxi Kleber, and maybe J.J. Barea. Carlisle can pull Powell early in quarters and use him as a backup center if Boban Marjanovic struggles. That's a real rotation.
If Porzingis is healthy, the Mavs could sneak into the playoffs.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2776...ottom-tier
Like Reply
[Image: Screenshot-2019-10-04-at-2.48.44-PM.png]
Like Reply
Portland hmmm, they got better I thought?  Other than that, why not?
Like Reply
(10-04-2019, 03:10 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Portland hmmm, they got better I thought?  Other than that, why not?

What do you think made POR better?
Like Reply
(10-04-2019, 03:10 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Portland hmmm, they got better I thought?  Other than that, why not?

I'd say they are about the same as they were last year. I don't see them having a losing record unless Dame or CJ goes down.
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(10-04-2019, 03:13 PM)Kammrath Wrote:

What do you think made POR better?

Nurkic health.  The other FA pick ups and losses probably even out, though I think Whiteside might surprise.  We got Seth, so I guess that would be the difference in the Mavs at 6th and Blazers at 11  Smile

I just don't remember anyone having them that low or missing the playoffs.
Like Reply
(10-04-2019, 04:07 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Nurkic health.  The other FA pick ups and losses probably even out, though I think Whiteside might surprise.  We got Seth, so I guess that would be the difference in the Mavs at 6th and Blazers at 11  Smile

I think the 538 model does not think they are very good and that they won way more games last year than they should have in theory. I also think POR MASSIVELY outperformed last year and think we see a drop off this year.
Like Reply
(10-04-2019, 04:38 PM)Kammrath Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 04:07 PM)Hypermav Wrote: Nurkic health.  The other FA pick ups and losses probably even out, though I think Whiteside might surprise.  We got Seth, so I guess that would be the difference in the Mavs at 6th and Blazers at 11  Smile

I think the 538 model does not think they are very good and that they won way more games last year than they should have in theory. I also think POR MASSIVELY outperformed last year and think we see a drop off this year.
 My official position is, I hope they stink.
Like Reply
I'm going with 44 assuming KP stays relatively healthy.  The West is deep and arguably about 12 teams have a shot at the playoffs.  I do think the Mavs have a great shot at squeaking in.  

To me this season is about building a competitive environment and seeing who is going to fit with Luka & KP.
Free Jalen Brunson!
Like Reply
I think Portland is a real wild card because of the Whiteside addition, it could be the case that a change of scenery and coach does wonders for him but if it doesn't work it could flop hard

For the Mavs I think around 42-40 or 43-39, but it can vary greatly based on how much KP is able to play. This team will lean heavily on Luka and KP and the lack of other true starters around them will lead to some rough nights, but they are a very talented duo.
Like Reply
When I work it out sort of mathematically, I get to about 45 wins.  But I actually see the unknowns and intangibles breaking in a positive direction with regard to chemistry, Luka fully emerging as a star, KP’s health, and maybe some upside surprises from guys I’d previously written off, like THJ.  Plus, if the Mavs are performing like a playoff team, I think they pull off an in season trade to round out the roster, improving even more.  50+ wins is a possibility.  I’d take the over in Vegas.
Like Reply
The West is brutal.  I see almost all teams with a reason to be optimistic that they could make the playoffs - and many more would if they were in the EC.

As for the Mavs, I can't decide if this team is the 99-00 team that began to gel and show promise, finishing around .500, or if this ithe 00-01 team that started becoming a force in the league. 

On the one hand, last years' team would have finished around .500 if they hadn't made the trades (or if they HAD and KP would have played).  On the other, this team shows a lot of the same similarities to that 53 win team that had a swagger and began to really believe in the Fin/Dirk/Nash core.  It also was buffed by a midseason trade which brought in JHow/Boothe and would go on to claim the 5th spot in the West and upset veteran UTA in the playoffs!  I could see something like this unfolding this year.  

But... the West is brutal, so I will hedge.  48 wins and possibly more if we can swing a material trade to bring in a solid #3 (or if THJ or someone else can step up to that level).  One thing that parallels that team is we signed a promising backup G from an elite team - Howard Eisley then, DWright now.  Hope this time around turns out better!
Like Reply
(10-07-2019, 11:56 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote: The West is brutal.  I see almost all teams with a reason to be optimistic that they could make the playoffs - and many more would if they were in the EC.

As for the Mavs, I can't decide if this team is the 99-00 team that began to gel and show promise, finishing around .500, or if this ithe 00-01 team that started becoming a force in the league. 

On the one hand, last years' team would have finished around .500 if they hadn't made the trades (or if they HAD and KP would have played).  On the other, this team shows a lot of the same similarities to that 53 win team that had a swagger and began to really believe in the Fin/Dirk/Nash core.  It also was buffed by a midseason trade which brought in JHow/Boothe and would go on to claim the 5th spot in the West and upset veteran UTA in the playoffs!  I could see something like this unfolding this year.  

But... the West is brutal, so I will hedge.  48 wins and possibly more if we can swing a material trade to bring in a solid #3 (or if THJ or someone else can step up to that level).  One thing that parallels that team is we signed a promising backup G from an elite team - Howard Eisley then, DWright now.  Hope this time around turns out better!

Good comparison (99-00 vs 00-01)! 

I think Luka and KP are both ahead of where Dirk was in 99-00, so there's some hope in that.
Like Reply
Nurkic is going to be out until Febuary, and he was quite literally the glue that held that starting lineup together. His passing ability with hard nosed defense was what put the Dame & CJ combo over the top. They replaced him with Whiteside, who puts up big numbers but he isn't exactly known for his hustle/passing. I doubt there is going to be any resurgence there from him. 

Also only 5 players from last year's roster remained. Dame, CJ, Collins, Nurkic, and Hood. Portland essentially lost their entire team that led them to the WCF (though they did keep the most integral parts). Their bench, which while wasn't the best in the NBA, was still filled with savvy players that played their role well. Seth Curry, Enes Kanter, Evan Turner, was replaced with Kent Bazemore, whatever's left of Pau Gasol, and Anthony Tolliver/Mario Hezonja.

Is the combo of Dame and CJ enough to lead them to a playoff berth this year? Because this is as weak as a supporting cast they've ever had around Lillard. That's going to be an interesting question that'll be answered this year for Portland. 

Here is great breakdown from the Ringer on Portland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD7NXbxbJ_k

14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(09-20-2019, 07:11 AM)ClutchDirk Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 01:28 AM)Magickian Wrote: I chose 51-53
I did also...I see less agendas derailing the team compared to last year...no more shoving Luka for another rebound...no more freezing out Luka and passing to a person not as capable to run an offense...no more going MIA because someone has more talent running an offense...no more vets trying to maximize their next contract...

The poll shows up also on page 2...I love this site...
Shameless bump inspired by Fif...
Like Reply
I chose 45-47, I figured that was what it was gonna take to get into the playoffs and I thought they would just make it.
Like Reply
(09-20-2019, 01:26 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: More than 41, dominant vs the east and at home, bad in away games.

Well shit
"The Dallas Mavericks must do everything they can to get Olivier-Maxence Prosper."
- IamDougieFresh (05-20-2023, 04:39 AM)
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 02:03 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:
(09-20-2019, 01:26 AM)IamDougieFresh Wrote: More than 41, dominant vs the east and at home, bad in away games.

Well shit
So awesome.
Like Reply
(12-19-2019, 02:03 PM)IamDougieFresh Wrote:

Well shit
The exact opposite happened... Tongue
Like Reply