Poll: How do you grade this trade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
65.67%
44 65.67%
A-
26.87%
18 26.87%
B
4.48%
3 4.48%
B-
2.99%
2 2.99%
C
0%
0 0%
C-
0%
0 0%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU
(06-16-2022, 08:03 PM)Bayliss Wrote: But I thought Boban was Doncic's security blanket a la Linus?

And while they got rid of the end of the bench, they did so by giving away another first rounder.  And yes Wood may be better than the 26th pick now.....  but I am just sick of the Mavs punting on draft picks.  You can't find a Robert Williams if you don't draft.

They just came off a WCF run. They don’t want to wait for the possibility the 26th pick turns into a player as good as Wood in 3 years. The Warriors are going to be another year older next year, PHX is going to lose Ayton it looks like and CP3 is another year older. Mavs could make a run next year if everything comes together.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 08:13 PM)Kammrath Wrote: In DET he was +10.9 on/off. His first year in HOU he was +6.5 on/off. Last year he was -1.2 on/off, but I wouldn't count that because of the crap show that HOU was.

In my mind, the only issue with this kid is between the ears. That DET season you're talking about was his last contract year, when he was trying desperately to maintain a place in the NBA. If another player with a less spotty past would've had that season, they might've gotten maxed, tbh. It was that significant of a breakout year. But, because of his history, he wasn't much of a draw in free agency. 

Now, we're going into his next contract year. I'm sure he's aware that he's playing for a chance at an even bigger contract, so my guess is that the Mavs will get his best this season. 

The "dumb" potential for the Mavs here is giving/promising him some big extension (eligible around Christmas) before they have to. In hindsight, I think that's pretty much where they went wrong with Porzingis (though I would've done it at the time, as I've said).
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 12:29 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Low-ish bar here but some perspective: 

Under Carlisle, Powell's best "shots defended at the rim percentage" was 59% on 4.4 attempts/game when the Mavs ranked 18th best in defense. Besides that one season (19-20), Powell's % has been 64% or higher as a main rotation player. 

Under Kidd last season, Powell's % was 62.7% on on 3.8 attempts/game. Mavs defense finished 7th.

Last year, on the WORST defense in the league, Wood's % was 63.1% on 5.5 attempts/game. 

In 2020-21 season, the Rockets finished 27th in defense. Wood's % was 57.4% on 6.2 attempts/game, better than Powell's best season ever, fwiw.

In Detroit, Wood's % was 56.9% on 4.1 attempts/game, again much better than Powell. Detroit had a bottom 10 defense.

You can even add Porzingis in the mix. Good rim protection numbers but below average defense as a team until Kidd arrived and turned them elite, and that is with KP missing a lot of games and eventually exiled to DC. Powell can move his feet and help out on perimeter more often than KP. 

Point being, a big's switchability on defense is more important than rim protection but that doesn't mean you need none of the latter. Wood has been deemed a hybrid of Kleber + Powell on offense (rim running, 3PT maker) but I think he is also a hybrid of Kleber + Powell on defense -- mobile, and can protect the rim at a reasonable rate. The cherry on top is Wood's rebounding ability. 

Mavs are the best defense system Wood will be a part of by far.

He "only" played 20 min, but his advanced stats were more or less borderline allstar.

Since the main argument is that his stats are empty. Not sure if you can luck yourself into good advanced stats, even on a bad team.

He ranked top-20 to 30 in a lot of box and non-box metrics that year. Ahead of actual stars and allstars.

- 24th in PIPM
- 20th in RAPTOR
- 27th in BPM

Think the key is not play him super high starter minutes, because it feels like most bigs shouldn't play the same minutes as guards or wings could. He is not Jokic or Embiid. Wood is no exception.

I got the fear that the defense will be more of a problem, if he sees much more minutes compared to Powell. Powell remaining in the rotation for 10 min, and Kleber minutes going down.

Then you have THJ probably at season start, who is higher on the pecking order than Josh Green / Frank. Think the Mavs are better with Wood playing 20-25 min, and THJ also in that range. Unless Wood surprises on defense.

Managing egos / minutes will be important for the coaching staff. But i think Wood will do much better under Kidd, because he has no trouble to call guys out. Silas is a young coach who basically let players do whatever they want. That is not what Wood needs imo.
Like Reply
Outside of injury, worst case scenario is you have a contract and player that could legitimately be put in a package for a star.  It’s almost a too good to be true trade, IMO.  And it’s pretty awesome that it was a surprise, and I wonder if trading this late took advantage of some kind of unusual or unique opportunity under the rules.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 08:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: In my mind, the only issue with this kid is between the ears. That DET season you're talking about was his last contract year, when he was trying desperately to maintain a place in the NBA. If another player with a less spotty past would've had that season, they might've gotten maxed, tbh. It was that significant of a breakout year. But, because of his history, he wasn't much of a draw in free agency. 

Now, we're going into his next contract year. I'm sure he's aware that he's playing for a chance at an even bigger contract, so my guess is that the Mavs will get his best this season. 

The "dumb" potential for the Mavs here is giving/promising him some big extension (eligible around Christmas) before they have to. In hindsight, I think that's pretty much where they went wrong with Porzingis (though I would've done it at the time, as I've said).
I fully agree with you here. I was all kinds of wrong about Kidd. What I will say is that if Rick was still here this would be a horrible move. I think Rick would push him in the wrong way. However, with Kidd I think it will be a huge success. Kidd will likely get everything out of this guy that he can. Great trade. I think it's either going to be an incredibly great move on the court or a good trade piece to get the player they need.

I have a serious feeling it will be another Bullock type move. Wood looks like a perfect fit with Luka.
We didn't make the cut but thanks for all the support!
[-] The following 1 user Likes audiosway's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 08:21 PM)KillerLeft Wrote: In my mind, the only issue with this kid is between the ears. That DET season you're talking about was his last contract year, when he was trying desperately to maintain a place in the NBA. If another player with a less spotty past would've had that season, they might've gotten maxed, tbh. It was that significant of a breakout year. But, because of his history, he wasn't much of a draw in free agency. 

I'm not sure he'll ever get a bigger contract because of the between the ears issue and I fully expect him to have a great season.
Like Reply
After reflection, I have 2 observations on this trade.

First, Dwight needs to stay. CW needs to be looking over his shoulder and seeing a hard working, competent dude ready to take his minutes the second he oversleeps and misses a team meeting, throws a pouty fit over playing time or criticism, or lazes around on the defensive end. Dwight is just the guy for this job. It’s an important one. But it won’t involve regular minutes. 5 out forever, baby!

Second, the new-era Mavs are deliberate. Previously, management focused on being opportunistic. Chase stars whose agents are flirty. Trade up for underrated sure-fire stars in the draft. Answer the phone when the Knicks call to dump a unicorn. This is not the new-era management method. Instead, they identify a need and move deliberately after it and only it. 

Last summer? Bargain 3&D guys. Reggie and the Sterling experiment. Planned, focused, fast. Unexpected. No leaks. No delay. Done deal by the time we heard the first thing about it. Success. 

Trade deadline? A third creator. Dinwiddie. Planned, focused, fast. Unexpected. No leaks. No delay. Done deal by the time we heard the first thing about it. Success. 

This year’s draft? A center upgrade. Wood. Planned, focused, fast. Unexpected. No leaks. No delay. Done deal by the time we heard the first thing about it. My guess, another success. 

Go Nico!
[-] The following 10 users Like Jommybone's post:
  • Arioch, DanSchwartzgan, F Gump, Jmaciscool, Kammrath, KillerLeft, MFFL, Paul Gasol, Reunion Mav, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:43 AM)Jommybone Wrote: Second, the new-era Mavs are deliberate. Previously, management focused on being opportunistic. Chase stars whose agents are flirty. Trade up for underrated sure-fire stars in the draft. Answer the phone when the Knicks call to dump a unicorn. This is not the new-era management method. Instead, they identify a need and move deliberately after it and only it. 

Last summer? Bargain 3&D guys. Reggie and the Sterling experiment. Planned, focused, fast. Unexpected. No leaks. No delay. Done deal by the time we heard the first thing about it. Success. 

Trade deadline? A third creator. Dinwiddie. Planned, focused, fast. Unexpected. No leaks. No delay. Done deal by the time we heard the first thing about it. Success. 

This year’s draft? A center upgrade. Wood. Planned, focused, fast. Unexpected. No leaks. No delay. Done deal by the time we heard the first thing about it. My guess, another success. 

Go Nico!

But, but, but CUBAN is still the GM

Smile
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 09:04 AM)MFFL Wrote: Here's a nice writeup about Wood

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/6/16/...rth-taking

"Wood displays slow feet while guarding the pick and roll and will regularly get bullied around the basket by guards that lower their shoulder. Wood has a slight frame, which doesn’t help, but he just doesn’t seem to move as fast as he should to the ball. Wood’s athleticism will bail him out occasionally, but he only averaged one block per game during his two seasons in Houston. Opponents shot 63.1 percent at the rim against Wood last season, which isn’t good enough for a starting center. For those curious — that number for Powell last season was 62.7 percent and Wood doesn’t compensate his poor rim defense with an ability to switch and trap on the perimeter like Powell can."

That is scathing for a Mavs tinted article. I want to see some evidence that he is as poor at switching and trapping as claimed but the defenses he is on always seem to be bad so it might check out. I still like the trade because of the price and the clearance of roster spots. I still want one of the open roster spots to go to a rim protector for some defensive insurance.

After KP's last game with us our defensive rating was 106.8, which would have been good for third in the league. In the 32 games afterward the team had a defensive rating of 112.6, that is below league average. In the playoffs? 113.3. Rim protection matters

Milwaukee won a title starting Brook Lopez at center. The Warriors struggled the most this playoffs when Steven Adams was on the court. All I'm saying is it wouldn't hurt if we use one of the three or so roster spots we opened up on a full sized "dinosaur" rim protecting big for certain situations. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrGoat's post:
  • F Gump
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 12:43 AM)Jommybone Wrote: After reflection, I have 2 observations on this trade.

First, Dwight needs to stay. CW needs to be looking over his shoulder and seeing a hard working, competent dude ready to take his minutes the second he oversleeps and misses a team meeting, throws a pouty fit over playing time or criticism, or lazes around on the defensive end. Dwight is just the guy for this job. It’s an important one. But it won’t involve regular minutes. 5 out forever, baby!

Second, the new-era Mavs are deliberate. Previously, management focused on being opportunistic. Chase stars whose agents are flirty. Trade up for underrated sure-fire stars in the draft. Answer the phone when the Knicks call to dump a unicorn. This is not the new-era management method. Instead, they identify a need and move deliberately after it and only it. 

Go Nico!

I don't agree on DP.  He showed that he was practically unplayable in the playoffs for long stretches.  If his expiring contract can be used as an asset in a trade to acquire, well, anything useful, then they should move him. Great guy, great attitude, just doesn't really give this team anything aside from the occasional highlight reel alley-oop.  The man is now 30 years old, he's no longer the young kid with great drive that we think will develop into something good in the future.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kidnova's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 07:48 AM)MrGoat Wrote: Milwaukee won a title starting Brook Lopez at center.

Milwaukee have Giannis next to him. Mavs have no one that comes even close to that on the defensive side. The solution imho is not looking for a player that would play instead of Wood. It is a player that will play next to him. Big wing, who is an excellent defender.

(06-17-2022, 07:48 AM)MrGoat Wrote: The Warriors struggled the most this playoffs when Steven Adams was on the court.

Memphis has an A+ defender in JJJ next to Adams.
[-] The following 1 user Likes omahen's post:
  • Arioch
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 07:48 AM)MrGoat Wrote: "Wood displays slow feet while guarding the pick and roll and will regularly get bullied around the basket by guards that lower their shoulder. Wood has a slight frame, which doesn’t help, but he just doesn’t seem to move as fast as he should to the ball. Wood’s athleticism will bail him out occasionally, but he only averaged one block per game during his two seasons in Houston. Opponents shot 63.1 percent at the rim against Wood last season, which isn’t good enough for a starting center. For those curious — that number for Powell last season was 62.7 percent and Wood doesn’t compensate his poor rim defense with an ability to switch and trap on the perimeter like Powell can."

All of this is based on this past year in HOU, being on a team NOT trying to win. Teams that aren't trying to win do NOT give full effort on D. Evaluating his D based on this past season is not accurate at all to his capabilities. Sure, he may have developed really lazy habits this past season, but Wood IS a capable defender when focused and locked in. Let's hope the new situation gets that out of him. His impact was elite (over +10.0) in his last contract year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • dirkfansince1998, Smitty
Like Reply
So, for those thinking Wood is a possible trade positive in a future trade, let me just push back a little bit. I’m not positive that will be the case. I think this is his last “stop” as a “valuable” piece. I think this could be a situation where he would have to make the allstar team to really regain any kind of value. I mean, there might be a chance that is in him, he is close with the box numbers. I think anything short of being an allstar, teams would look at all his previous stops and figure he just found home in Dallas, but there’s no guarantee my town will be home for him too.

Being young to this point has worked in his favor. Going forward I don’t think a team looking for that final piece to go with their young core is gonna think Wood is that final piece. He doesn’t fully fit their timeline anymore and he has already proven he is not that type of leader. He’s no longer young enough to start a rebuild around. He might only be useful to a vet team that won’t want to shed assets to get him and/or the assets aren’t really all that great. The good news about that is, the bar set to beat in an outgoing trade is not high at all. 

I just think anyone thinking that in a Beal trade, Wood finally puts us in the conversation is gonna be in for a rude awakening.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 07:54 AM)omahen Wrote: Milwaukee have Giannis next to him. Mavs have no one that comes even close to that on the defensive side. The solution imho is not looking for a player that would play instead of Wood. It is a player that will play next to him. Big wing, who is an excellent defender.

Memphis has an A+ defender in JJJ next to Adams.

Giannis and JJJ, two guys who are outstanding rim protectors, taller, and outweigh anybody on our current roster (depending on how Luka shows up to preseason). As I said, we could use a little more size
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:02 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: So, for those thinking Wood is a possible trade positive in a future trade, let me just push back a little bit. I’m not positive that will be the case. I think this is his last “stop” as a “valuable” piece. I think this could be a situation where he would have to make the allstar team to really regain any kind of value. I mean, there might be a chance that is in him, he is close with the box numbers. I think anything short of being an allstar, teams would look at all his previous stops and figure he just found home in Dallas, but there’s no guarantee my town will be home for him too.

Being young to this point has worked in his favor. Going forward I don’t think a team looking for that final piece to go with their young core is gonna think Wood is that final piece. He doesn’t fully fit their timeline anymore and he has already proven he is not that type of leader. He’s no longer young enough to start a rebuild around. He might only be useful to a vet team that won’t want to shed assets to get him and/or the assets aren’t really all that great. The good news about that is, the bar set to beat in an outgoing trade is not high at all. 

I just think anyone thinking that in a Beal trade, Wood finally puts us in the conversation is gonna be in for a rude awakening.

He hasn't even played a game for the Mavs and we're already discussing his future trade value? Sheesh. I'm excited about his fit next season.. I hope he's everything I thought KP would be for this team.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:24 AM)Smitty Wrote: He hasn't even played a game for the Mavs and we're already discussing his future trade value? Sheesh. I'm excited about his fit next season.. I hope he's everything I thought KP would be for this team.
I’m responding to those that have already brought it up. Sheesh.
Like Reply
How about, since you don’t want to talk about his future trade value, you focus on me saying I don’t think Wood being a future allstar is far fetched? No, you just want to bring out what you believe to be negativity.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:34 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: I don’t think Wood being a future allstar is far fetched?

As long as he plays hard and has more on-court chemistry with Luka than Porzingis did, Wood will put up numbers, offensively. 

I wouldn't be shocked if he's an all star here at some point, if things play out in the best case version.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:37 AM)KillerLeft Wrote: As long as he plays hard and has more on-court chemistry with Luka than Porzingis did, Wood will put up numbers, offensively. 

I wouldn't be shocked if he's an all star here at some point, if things play out in the best case version.
No different than what I said, just worded differently. I just get quoted and singled out for not talking about what some don’t want to talk about. Then I’m bullying them because I didn’t respond kindly to their aggression.
Like Reply
(06-17-2022, 08:41 AM)ItsGoTime Wrote: No different than what I said, just worded differently. I just get quoted and singled out for not talking about what some don’t want to talk about. Then I’m bullying them because I didn’t respond kindly to their aggression.

All good here, I didn't mean it aggressively. I was just shocked that people were already discussing trading him. I didn't go back and read other posts about it.
[-] The following 2 users Like Smitty's post:
  • F Gump, ItsGoTime
Like Reply