Poll: How do you grade this trade?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
A
65.67%
44 65.67%
A-
26.87%
18 26.87%
B
4.48%
3 4.48%
B-
2.99%
2 2.99%
C
0%
0 0%
C-
0%
0 0%
D
0%
0 0%
D-
0%
0 0%
F
0%
0 0%
Total 67 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
TRADE: Christian Wood (1yr/$14.3M) to DAL | #26+SB+Boban+Chriss+TB to HOU
(06-16-2022, 07:00 AM)hakeemfaan Wrote: They will try to use their multiple picks to see if they can move up so that they have another high pick in addition to their top 5 pick.

Yeah, I am sure they will explore.  I am just not sure pick 17 and 26 are going to demand much in a movement.  Maybe 3-4 picks or so.   We will see if they keep both picks though.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 05:48 AM)MrGoat Wrote: https://twitter.com/LandryLocker/status/...wcon%5Es1_

I'm not going to pretend there aren't concerns, he was available this cheaply for a reason. I'm ultimately still fine with it because of the price and he's an expiring so we didn't shackle ourselves to him long term if his red flags come home to roost. Our offense was pretty pedestrian under Kidd so hopefully this helps juice it a bit. We still need to add a defensive big but we opened up roster spaces to do so with this trade too so that's another plus. Need someone more physical down low for some matchups, maybe Robin Lopez could be had for a minimum

Definitely.  I know that two years from now some might be talking about missing on a good cheap two way wing in the draft, but I am not going to be engaging in that. As much as I am a huge proponent of the draft, wr got a legit offensive starter for a team that very well might have been in the Finals if we had got any offensive production out of that spot in the WCF. 

I am also still high on Nsoza in the 2nd round.  Defensively we all feel he will get better.  As raw as he is offensively he has a soft floater around the rim which bodes well. Powell in comparison has never shown any offensive feel around the basket.
[-] The following 1 user Likes hakeemfaan's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 06:49 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: I think it is a nice trade for both teams.   Wood is very little risk for the Mavs with a nice ceiling.  Sure there are concerns, but he really provides nice upside.   

For Houston, They have Senguin from last year, pick # 3 this year and Garuba from last years draft as well.    Might as well get something for Wood now.  Instead of needing to play him, wondering if you can resign him or trading him before he becomes a FA.   I am sure Houston fans wanted something more but securing a first round pick (albeit a late one) is a solid haul.   I would have preferred a 23 pick but there is no guarantee that would have been available if they held onto him into the season.

That new GM  Rafeal Stone seems like he knows what he's doing. Perfect move for a team going thru a full rebuild. And Dallas gets a player that should help them as well for little risk. A win-win.
Like Reply
Simply an amazing, no-brainer move from Nico and Cuban. Ding dong the Boban/Burke are finally dead! 

Winning heals wounds. Not that worried about Christian Wood's past; he has grown up in dire situations for his entire career. Never played for a winner. He was a benchwarmer on the Bucks until they cut him right before the postseason in favor of Tim Frazier (lol). 

It kind of gives me Zach Randolph vibes. Talented player, played in poor environments, and labeled a knucklehead. Gets to Memphis, becomes a true star and leader on a winning team. Mavs have a rock solid locker room and top notch staff.

Wood can play defense; hard to care about that end on a bottom dweller team. We remember how that was like just a few years ago. Hell, we didn't know what defense was even when we made the playoffs the prior 2 seasons. 

Chris Bosh said he didn't know how to actually play defense until he joined Miami; he transformed into one of the league's elite PnR defenders. So there is plenty of time to instill a strong, defensive attitude in Wood. 

I believe in Coach Kidd.
[-] The following 8 users Like Fuerza1's post:
  • fifteenth, Jommybone, KillerLeft, MaxiThreeba, MFFL, mvossman, Paul Gasol, Smitty
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 03:46 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: One possibility nobody has mentioned yet. Christian Wood is a lot better trade asset than Brown/Burke/Chriss/Boban. He might not be worth much, but at least the Pacers or Bulls don´t immediately hang up and flush the phone down the toilet, when you call about Turner or Vucevic.

I agree.  I don't think the trade was made to move on from him at this point.  But Wood is certainly a better asset than Boban, Burke, Brown and Chriss.   If we decide he is not a fit long term, he could be paired with Powell or Maxi or someone else and should get us in better conversation than the four guys we made.    Prior we could only offering expirings and future picks.   

Now Wood is expiring as well, but there is at least a chance another team could see him in their future if we decided to move on.

I don't think that will happen, but it is at least an option to keep open.
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 07:46 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Extensions will be interesting to watch.
Just making sure I understand...You are talking extensions beyond the upcoming 22-23 season?
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 08:40 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Wood can play defense

He absolutely can when he is locked in. High impact two way player when he is focused in.
Like Reply
How much of a difference would Wood (hehe) have made in the WCF against the Warriors? Just 1 game but here is how he did against them during the season. First 3 shots are made threes with Looney in the vicinity. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WvJu7XPOE
Like Reply
Apart from getting another rotation big, the best part is opening roster spots so you can bring in developmental youngsters and/or ring chasing vets. Plus the ability to use the MLE without having to clear a spot.

All while keeping the core 7 intact.

That said, does Pinson have good enough skills to be part of the PG mix or is his best role as cheerleader?

Is Frankie now more of a target for moving? how about signing? How about neither?
[-] The following 2 users Like michaeltex's post:
  • Fuerza1, MFFL
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 08:52 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: How much of a difference would Wood (hehe) have made in the WCF against the Warriors? Just 1 game but here is how he did against them during the season. First 3 shots are made threes with Looney in the vicinity. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05WvJu7XPOE
He seems to be able to move well with the ball. A skill sort of like KP was supposed to have but never demonstrated.

Also seems to have no qualms about shooting over a smaller defender. If he's on, making Luka-like 30ft shots seems within his repertoire, so now a big has to guard him which opens up the lane for Luka, JB and SD.

Could be fun!
Like Reply
Here's a nice writeup about Wood

https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2022/6/16/...rth-taking
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 08:45 AM)michaeltex Wrote: Just making sure I understand...You are talking extensions beyond the upcoming 22-23 season?

Yes.  Wood, Powell and Maxi are expiring.  We can extend Powell or Maxi for beyond 22/23 come July.  We have to wait a few months before Wood is eligible to be extended.  Either that, or they hit the open market next summer (or get traded between now and then).
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 07:46 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Because the trade is still "open" until after the first round, the deal could actually be added to.  So, normal aggregation rules don't apply...yet.  You could combine Wood with THJ and bring back a big dollar guy you wouldn't have been able to get by sending out Powell/THJ.  Technically you'd be matching with the outgoing we sent to Houston plus whatever player you might add (in this example THJ).  The window for this will shut once the deal is done.  Does Wood/Green get you something Powell/Green wouldn't have?

Extensions will be interesting to watch.  The only players who are guaranteed to return next season (at least right now) are Luka, THJ, Bertans and DFS.  Hopefully Brunson is added to the list and probably SD qualifies for his full pay by hitting his minutes hurdle.  It will be a while before Wood is eligible.  What do they do with Maxi and Powell?  Extend?  Wait til later in the season?  Let them become FA's next summer?

I personally think they are largely done.  Maybe a veteran bench guy who they can keep in bubble wrap until the playoffs and an extra big body.  There just isn't anyone out there worth salary plus 3X salary in tax.  They already took on a little extra money by doing the deal they did.  That doesn't mean they can't do something at the TDL.  In fact, part of filling out the roster with playable guys might be to make sure there is enough of a roster left after a midseason deal

One quick correction. SD's base salary is already guaranteed for the next season and the next. He has a weird contract but he already hit his hurdle by playing in at least 50 games this last season. He's guaranteed 18M this upcoming season no strings attached. He had a 10M partial guarantee for 23-24 but that's already fully guaranteed up to 18.9M because he already met the requirement of appearing in at least 50 games between the 21-22 and 22-23 seasons with further incentives possible based on games appeared. As I said, weird contract. SD is back unless we trade him
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 08:40 AM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Simply an amazing, no-brainer move from Nico and Cuban. Ding dong the Boban/Burke are finally dead! 

Winning heals wounds. Not that worried about Christian Wood's past; he has grown up in dire situations for his entire career. Never played for a winner. He was a benchwarmer on the Bucks until they cut him right before the postseason in favor of Tim Frazier (lol). 

It kind of gives me Zach Randolph vibes. Talented player, played in poor environments, and labeled a knucklehead. Gets to Memphis, becomes a true star and leader on a winning team. Mavs have a rock solid locker room and top notch staff.

Wood can play defense; hard to care about that end on a bottom dweller team. We remember how that was like just a few years ago. Hell, we didn't know what defense was even when we made the playoffs the prior 2 seasons. 

Chris Bosh said he didn't know how to actually play defense until he joined Miami; he transformed into one of the league's elite PnR defenders. So there is plenty of time to instill a strong, defensive attitude in Wood. 

I believe in Coach Kidd.

Love this
Not very astute ^^^^
Like Reply
Really good "room conversation" turned into a podcast here. I'm normally not a Kirk fan, really, but during this one, Stein, Dameris and KOC all drop in and discuss this trade at some point. It's worth a listen. 

https://twitter.com/KirkSeriousFace/status/1537303248540946434?s=20&t=3LvWi9m5fteobVAQ9My0zQ
[-] The following 1 user Likes KillerLeft's post:
  • fifteenth
Like Reply
Thanks Killer! And, hi pal
Not very astute ^^^^
[-] The following 1 user Likes fifteenth's post:
  • KillerLeft
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 09:35 AM)fifteenth Wrote: Thanks Killer! And, hi pal

Great to see you!
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 09:28 AM)MrGoat Wrote: One quick correction. SD's base salary is already guaranteed for the next season and the next. He has a weird contract but he already hit his hurdle by playing in at least 50 games this last season. He's guaranteed 18M this upcoming season no strings attached. He had a 10M partial guarantee for 23-24 but that's already fully guaranteed up to 18.9M because he already met the requirement of appearing in at least 50 games between the 21-22 and 22-23 seasons with further incentives possible based on games appeared. As I said, weird contract. SD is back unless we trade him
Man, this league needs more of these type of contracts!
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 07:46 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: I personally think they are largely done.  Maybe a veteran bench guy who they can keep in bubble wrap until the playoffs and an extra big body.  There just isn't anyone out there worth salary plus 3X salary in tax.  They already took on a little extra money by doing the deal they did.  That doesn't mean they can't do something at the TDL.  In fact, part of filling out the roster with playable guys might be to make sure there is enough of a roster left after a midseason deal

This is kind of where I am, too. I find myself wondering if they'll even use that TP MLE like we're hoping (forget that TE, lol). I think they might make a run at a vet like Dragic, and they might use part of that MLE to offer above the minimum to a couple of guys like that, maybe. 

This was the big swing of the summer, imo.
[-] The following 3 users Like KillerLeft's post:
  • DanSchwartzgan, MFFL, Tyler
Like Reply
(06-16-2022, 09:28 AM)MrGoat Wrote: One quick correction. SD's base salary is already guaranteed for the next season and the next. He has a weird contract but he already hit his hurdle by playing in at least 50 games this last season. He's guaranteed 18M this upcoming season no strings attached. He had a 10M partial guarantee for 23-24 but that's already fully guaranteed up to 18.9M because he already met the requirement of appearing in at least 50 games between the 21-22 and 22-23 seasons with further incentives possible based on games appeared. As I said, weird contract. SD is back unless we trade him

Thanks for the info.  Spotrac is still carrying it as a $10mm guarantee for 23/24.  In the explanation it says it become fully guaranteed if he plays 50 games in 21/22…AND…22/23.  I have no idea if you are correct or they are correct.  Just putting the source out there.
Like Reply