Poll: Do the Mavs set a defensive tone to start the series? O/U on Warriors threes 12.5
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Over
100.00%
5 100.00%
Under
0%
0 0%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PLAYOFF WCF GAME 1: DAL (0-1) @ GSW (1-0) | 112-87 loss
Incredibly tough game. 

Some thoughts:

Warriors made a lot of tough shots. It felt like every heavily contested midrange shot fell and it's super demoralizing.

Mavs have to close out possessions. So many times they got a miss but the Warriors just got the rebound and an open 3.

Mavs have to figure out a way to stop the cuts. Warriors sliced them up and got several open dunks.

Shooting was rough. Had basically zero paint penetration and the ball stopped with either Brunson/Luka/Dinwiddie all taking their turns to take a step back three. Only Brunson was able to get in the lane consistently and even then it felt like nothing.

Turnovers hurt when you already can't score. Luka has to be more mindful but I think he let his emotions get the better of him this game.

Powell is again useless. Looney overpowered him more than Gobert+Ayton ever did and that's saying something. Kidd using him as a warm body for 4 minutes to pace Maxi's minutes doesn't make sense to me and there has to be a another option.

Mavs didn't attack Curry as much as I thought they would have. Even Van Gundy made a comment on it. And when a Van Gundy makes an intelligent point during live commentary it's such a blatant obvious thing. 

Mavs also didn't make Green beat them. An adjustment I'd make is stop blitzing Curry after every screen and instead go with a hard hedge or just switch. Warriors by now know how to beat a Curry double in their sleep. Getting Draymond the ball in a 4 on 3 scenario is exactly what they want. I'd try to do something that they wouldn't expect. Double Wiggins and Draymond every time they get the ball on the perimeter. Get them out of their comfort zone. 

Finally it's obvious the Warriors are trying to speed the game up as much as possible. They thrive on chaos. Quite literally the opposite of the Suns, and to some extent the Jazz. Mavs I felt started to play the Warriors game pushing the tempo. Perhaps it's a carryover habit from the Suns series. I'd try to slow the game down as much as possible. 24 second shot clocks every time down. Make it a slug fest.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: PLAYOFF WCF GAME 1: DAL (0-1) @ GSW (1-0) | 112-87 loss - by SleepingHero - 05-19-2022, 03:27 AM