Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
(08-21-2020, 01:06 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Don´t compromise your capspace for the Terry Roziers of the world. We´ll get an All-Star next year. No doubt in mind.

If the All star actually wants to come, we will send the Terry Roziers of the world packing with the 2025 pick attached to him. What I don't want to do is stay pat and not improve in growingly difficult west because we want to have cap space. What if things go wrong and this same team doesn't make playoffs next season? Will you still be so sure about that all star free agent? 

If a trade is available, it is a sure thing, star FA in 2021 is not. We should not pass trades that make us better because we dream...
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 01:15 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 01:06 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Don´t compromise your capspace for the Terry Roziers of the world. We´ll get an All-Star next year. No doubt in mind.

If the All star actually wants to come, we will send the Terry Roziers of the world packing with the 2025 pick attached to him. What I don't want to do is stay pat and not improve in growingly difficult west because we want to have cap space. What if things go wrong and this same team doesn't make playoffs next season? Will you still be so sure about that all star free agent?

If a trade is available, it is a sure thing, star FA in 2021 is not. We should not pass trades that make us better because we dream...

...and we should learn from Riley anyway. Just because you don't have cap space to sign a max FA the day before FA starts doesn't mean that you won't have cap space the next day. But to be able to trade the people you need to trade, they need to be on reasonable contracts. As I've said before, I'm a huge proponent of dumping Wright, Powell, and (depending on what he does this offseason) THJ, not next summer, but this offseason, and only acquiring and signing players who either expire in 2021 or are inked to more reasonable deals than those three.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 11:20 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote:
(08-20-2020, 05:24 PM)SwisherPrice Wrote: Looking at this 2020 free agent class, it's very weak. I'm not even sure who the Mavs would want to go after. 

Now, there are some guys I do like (Jerami Grant) but would the Mavs like him enough to unseat Kleber/DFS in the rotation? Probably not. I feel like this will be a classic offseason of "We love our team"
I´d take Anthony Davis. Big Grin

I don´t think the class is that weak. Players could opt out of the final year of their contracts, if they come to an agreement for a long-term deal. Next year the market will be loaded. It might be beneficial to secure a deal now. For example OPJ 88/4 instead of 28 + X/3. Can he be sure that teams will give him 20 per season given the competition next summer.

We just don´t have the capspace for a major move. Next year it´s just Wright+Powell. This summer it´s also THJ, Jackson, Boban. We´d have to bleed hard to create max capspace this summer. Only AD would be worth the trouble imho.

Mavs could probably dump salary if they wanted to but would need to happen on draft night. I don't think there's a FA that they want bad enough to do that. It's more likely they would flip like Wright and Jackson + picks for something they like better than doesn't inhibit their ability to sign a FA in 2021.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 01:15 PM)omahen Wrote:

Yes, because we´ll still have the projected best player in the world. If Cuban can´t sign an All-Star with max money next summer, he should sell the team.
Like Reply
One idea would be you combine Wright + Jackson to get them off your team (+ Wright's future money) for a 1 yr deal that the other team doesn't want or need.

For example, Wright played really well for Memphis. You pair him with Jackson for Dieng and I am pretty sure Memphis would do that deal. You could either keep Dieng as a backup big or just buyout his deal to free up a total of 2 spots on the roster + getting out from Wright's future money. You might actually just keep Dieng around as both a backup and large salary filler that could be useful in a TDL trade.

In regards to picks I would love it if the Mavs traded their picks this year for future picks if they can't find the right deal on draft night. I really have no interest in the Mavs drafting kids unless the perfect player falls in their laps. Otherwise I would rather have picks in their arsenal to move at a later day like the TDL or next offseason.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 02:16 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: But to be able to trade the people you need to trade, they need to be on reasonable contracts.

Riley actually had horrible contracts and it cost him just one first round pick and Richardson to dump 25 mil Whiteside to sign Butler and Leonard.

(08-21-2020, 02:33 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: If Cuban can´t sign an All-Star with max money next summer, he should sell the team.

We have been through this so many times... Only three allstar players are UFA next summer, if they don't resign. Giannis, Oladipo and Gobert. Gobert is a bad fit. So that leaves two. Is Oladipo even a max guy? George, Kawhi, LeBron (too old anyway?) are all player options and I have a hard time to see them gone from LA to Dallas. Theoretically there is also Davis, but same as above. All the rest are too old to be worth max or not max worthy.

So basically you are betting everything on Giannis to Dallas.

(08-21-2020, 02:16 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote: I'm a huge proponent of dumping Wright, Powell, and (depending on what he does this offseason) THJ

Here is a wild proposal. Trade all three mentioned plus picks for DeRozan and Aldridge. DeRozan takes THJ role, Aldridge should accept coming as first big from the bench. This gives you some 50 mil of cap space in 2021 for that star. Aldridge and DeRozan can resign for small money to chase their rings. Their expirings could also be used for trade at TDL. 

DeRozan intrigues me a bit. I know about the shooting and defense, but it is not like they will leave him open. And he can create for himself.
Like Reply
Mavs don't need DeRozan tho. We need athletic, defensive wings. I guess you could argue DeRozan is a third star but I just think we need wings more than we need his skillset. Brunson is a good second ball-handler so I think we are set there.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 02:43 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Wright played really well for Memphis

He played so well that they drafted Ja as starting PG, traded Wright and replaced him with Young and Melton, both considerably younger. I really don't see Memphis have any interest in him. Might be others, though, I think it is a valid proposal

(08-21-2020, 03:17 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Brunson is a good second ball-handler

Brunson wasn't great next to Luka. He is great back up PG though. Or even an ok first PG, when Luka is injured.

(08-21-2020, 03:17 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: We need athletic, defensive wings.

Sure we do. But so does everyone else. Assuming you can't get one. Do you stay pat and wait for 2021 or do you try to improve differently? And of course, DeRozan trade wasn't about DeRozan, it was about dumping all our bad money for a DeRozan (and Aldridge) experiment. If he doesn't work, he is gone in 2021 and we have all our core (KP, Luka, Curry, DFS, Maxi, Brunson) and 50 mil of cap space. The only thing we are basically losing with that proposal is THJ.
Like Reply
I don't want to dump THJ for nothing. He is a good player. DeRozan is good and maybe underrated but Rick doesn't like guys who can't shoot outside. I also just don't think he fits. Brunson is great as a 6th man, I agree. I think unless/until you upgrade THJ he is fine as a second ball-handler in the starting lineup.

Aldridge is old and not good defensively. He is still a good offensive player but just not a fit. Mavs need to get perfect fitting pieces at this point. This is how you get to a 2011 championship roster. You need stars first (we got those, at least the required 2), then you need excellent fitting pieces all the way down the roster. Rick knows how to deploy these pieces masterfully. So when ppl propose this or that guy who is a good player but not a great fit, I am not that interested.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 04:04 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: I don't want to dump THJ for nothing.

Well, it was not for nothing. It was for dumping Powell and Wright. That will not come without a price.
Like Reply
Forgive me if this was already posted:
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2020/8/21/...-18th-pick
Like Reply
I don't want to hear about any draft or trade targets who aren't good perimeter defenders. It's the obvious glaring need and the Mavs did nothing to address it last offseason.

Players can learn to shoot. But they can't learn the length, strength, and inherent agility necessary to be a great perimeter defender in the NBA. The Mavs need to be looking for that above all else.
Like Reply
(08-21-2020, 11:34 PM)Branduil Wrote: I don't want to hear about any draft or trade targets who aren't good perimeter defenders. It's the obvious glaring need and the Mavs did nothing to address it last offseason.

Players can learn to shoot. But they can't learn the length, strength, and inherent agility necessary to be a great perimeter defender in the NBA. The Mavs need to be looking for that above all else.

This. Maxi is doing his best but you need a real perimeter defender that can make Kawhi work for his points. Maxi is a good defender but Kawhi is probably the toughest cover in NBA. We need a stud defender. This series is a great way to benchmark your team against arguably the best team in the NBA. We are learning a lot and the main thing is you need Maxi on the bench and replace him with a stud defender that can bother the other team's best player.
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 08:51 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(08-21-2020, 11:34 PM)Branduil Wrote: I don't want to hear about any draft or trade targets who aren't good perimeter defenders. It's the obvious glaring need and the Mavs did nothing to address it last offseason.

This. Maxi is doing his best but you need a real perimeter defender that can make Kawhi work for his points. Maxi is a good defender but Kawhi is probably the toughest cover in NBA. We need a stud defender. This series is a great way to benchmark your team against arguably the best team in the NBA. We are learning a lot and the main thing is you need Maxi on the bench and replace him with a stud defender that can bother the other team's best player.

Yes.  Unfortunately, the leagues best players are in the Leonard mold.  Lebron, AD and Giannis are all too quick for Maxi and too big for DFS.  One of our needs is someone in between Maxi and DFS who also forces defenses to account for their outside shot.
Like Reply
Luckily for the Mavs there are guys you can get through FA or trades.

- Oladipo I think is gettable. I know he isn't a wing but he could be an upgrade over THJ
- Jrue Holiday might be available. Again not a wing but a very good two-way player
- Ibaka is a very good defender at the PF position
- Morris is a FA. Expected to resign for sure but can they keep everybody?
- D Green could be available for cheap and I think would play better than ppl think
- JaMychal Green has a player option. I think Clips will keep all their guys but you never know
- OPJ is very gettable imo if you want him bad enough
- Harkless is a UFA and very gettable
- Jerami Grant will probably opt out but would be tough to get with only MLE
- Jae Crowder is a UFA
- RHJ is a guy the Mavs like who I think is very gettable
- Tony Snell I think is very gettable for trade

There are many more options out there just depends on how aggressive Mavs want to be.
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 10:32 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Luckily for the Mavs there are guys you can get through FA or trades.

- Oladipo I think is gettable. I know he isn't a wing but he could be an upgrade over THJ
- Jrue Holiday might be available. Again not a wing but a very good two-way player
- D Green could be available for cheap and I think would play better than ppl think
- JaMychal Green has a player option. I think Clips will keep all their guys but you never know
- Jae Crowder is a UFA

There are many more options out there just depends on how aggressive Mavs want to be.

Lots of solid wings there. I think the Mavs are going to be relatively quiet during FA. It's the draft imo where they'd try to swing a big trade. 

I'd add in Buddy to that list of players that are available. The Buddy situation with the Kings needs to be resolved and there aren't many teams in the position to take on his 24 million contract and pay up a reasonable return.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(08-22-2020, 02:09 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(08-22-2020, 10:32 AM)StepBackJay Wrote: Luckily for the Mavs there are guys you can get through FA or trades.

- Jae Crowder is a UFA

Lots of solid wings there. I think the Mavs are going to be relatively quiet during FA. It's the draft imo where they'd try to swing a big trade. 

I'd add in Buddy to that list of players that are available. The Buddy situation with the Kings needs to be resolved and there aren't many teams in the position to take on his 24 million contract and pay up a reasonable return.
I like Hield. What would it take to trade for Myles Turner? He’s a local guy. I’ve always liked his game.
Like Reply

- Jae Crowder is a UFA

I would absolutely LOVE to get FVV from Toronto. Good defender at the point, great secondary playmaker if teams take the ball out of Luka's hands, and a borderline elite 3 point shooter. 26/27 years old and already has championship experience.

Its going to take a lot to get him from Toronto but he is absolutely perfect in my mind.

I hope we don't put all of our eggs in the superstar basket again. We already have 2. Grab a couple of elite role players that fit with Luka and KP and go win some titles.
Like Reply
Myles Turner plays the wrong position.

I don't think Hield is known as a good defensive player. We don't need more offense, or to the extent we do we need more consistency from guys who can play defense like Maxi and DFS. Both of those guys will continue to improve so that problem might fix itself.

We need to think defensive y'all, specifically a defensive stopper.
Like Reply
As anyone talked about a possible Wright for Nance trade w/CLE?  Cleveland does not have a 2nd round pick in this draft.  And there back-up PG is a FA this offseason.  So Wright + 31 for Nance.  This would save them 2.7 mil next season.

That still leave us the 18th pick to trade w/ DET.  Jackson, Brunson + 18 for Rose.  And for most of the MLE we sign Crowder and the rest goes to Burke.

Porzingis  /  Powell  /  Marjanovic
Nance  /  Kleber  /  Vet Big
Crowder  /  FinneySmith  /  Lee
Hardaway  /  Curry  /  Reaves 
Doncic  / Rose  /  Burke
Like Reply