Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
(03-07-2020, 05:09 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Luka/THJ/DFS/Gallo/KP is nice from a size standpoint but defensively it's not going to cut it
I want to see more of Maxi starting through the end of the year. I wonder if he has what it takes to be a starter. Previously I remember him not doing so well when he did get starts, that’s why I called him a 6-7 guy. If he keeps doing what he has done these last 2 starts, I’d be fine with rolling with him and finding his replacement on the bench. I doubt WCS is a good fit with Powell off the bench, so we would have to start over there. With that in mind, here are my thoughts on replacements this offseason:

Luka/JB/min vet or draft pick, not JJB
THJ or trade or FA pickup/Curry/min vet or draft pick
Trade or FA/DFS/min vet or draft pick
Maxi/FA or trade/min vet or draft pick
KP/DP/Bobi

So the starters would be Luka/THJ or New guy/New guy/Maxi/KP. Bench would be JB/Curry/DFS/New guy/DP.

That’s 2 new players using JJ, DW and possibly THJ as trade bait on top of a MLE player. If we trade THJ, I would want a high end defender that can guard the quick PG’s of the league, or at least do well enough to corral them to our block party down low. 

I still like the thought of OPJ and Satoransky and then using the MLE for our Maxi replacement. If someone asked for DP in trade, I wouldn’t hesitate and then resign WCS as the backup.
Like Reply
(03-07-2020, 05:09 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Gallo in the starting lineup makes the Mavs an even worse defensive team than they already are. I think offensively we are just fine, especially with KP & Luka getting into their groove (altho Luka keeps getting banged up).

Luka/THJ/DFS/Gallo/KP is nice from a size standpoint but defensively it's not going to cut it. Mavs need an athletic, defensive wing that can hit from outside to play along DFS at either the 3 or 4 spot. Part of the reason the Mavs offense struggles late is that their defense doesn't get stops which means it's harder to get good offensive looks. I also expect our closing offense to only get better as the team gels. Mavs already have the top offensive rating in the league, let's get better on defense y'all!

KP and Maxi on the floor have been so great defensively. The team overall has been playing much better defense due to these two defensive presence under the rim. Especially when they are together its virtually impossible to get easy baskets and layups and dunks. Thus, Mavs with those two in the starting lineup will never be bad defensively almost no matter who is playing the guard position.

Having those two also allows you to have two great shooters that are perhaps not the best defenders in THJ and Curry.

I love the lineup:

Luka / Curry / THJ / Maxi / KP

You have Luka that can dominate a game offensively, and in case he has an off period in the game he can always find THJ and Curry and they get you consistent points with their shooting. The defense will always be strong with Maxi and KP. I think its a lineup that will be impossible to deal with for any team in the NBA at the moment. Its nightmare matchup offensively since all 5 players can hit the 3 point shot and cant be left alone. Defensively also a nightmare in the paint, you cant get any baskets in the paint, you are forced to shoot outside and the 2. You can get one of Maxi or KP out of the paint by play design. But both? You cant do that, one will always be present around the rim and alter the shots.

Whether that lineup wins the championship comes down to this: if THJ/Luka/Curry can perform a solid defensive play on the perimeter, and second: the bench. We have seen Luka getting better on defense and THJ and Curry are solid as well. That starting lineup it self is likely the strongest in the playoffs IMO. Given how Luka and KP are playing and how Curry and THJ are shooting at the moment and how open they are. Nobody wants to meet Dallas.

The bench is VERY worrying and it may come down to this how far the team goes.

I think that Lee shows he is much better than we thought. He is the all around player with skillset that could thrive on the team next to Luka. JJ, Barea, WCS, Wright, DFS there are quiet some question marks there how they will and are performing. I have question marks with DFS also, he is not as great defensively as he is getting credit for IMO. I really liked what i saw from Lee. I hope Brunson is back for the playoffs.
Like Reply
(03-07-2020, 05:09 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Gallo in the starting lineup makes the Mavs an even worse defensive team than they already are. I think offensively we are just fine, especially with KP & Luka getting into their groove (altho Luka keeps getting banged up).

Luka/THJ/DFS/Gallo/KP is nice from a size standpoint but defensively it's not going to cut it. 

Yet, it seems pretty likely Dallas was trying to pull it off.  So, they had a plan whether it meets our vision for the team or not.

I would have loved the addition.  I can see any two of Maxi, DFS or Gallo on the floor at all times.  Luka/JB are the ball handlers, THJ/Curry are the SG's and KP and someone (presumably WCS or Powell at some future date) rotate at the C.  That is a stout 9 man rotation.  Gallo has always been an on-court positive.  A 130-120 win is just as valuable as 120-110.
Like Reply
It's a shame we couldn't get Covington because he sure looks like he would have been the perfect froncourt partner for KP now.
Like Reply
(03-07-2020, 11:40 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:
(03-07-2020, 05:09 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Gallo in the starting lineup makes the Mavs an even worse defensive team than they already are.  

Yet, it seems pretty likely Dallas was trying to pull it off.  So, they had a plan whether it meets our vision for the team or not.

I wonder if the plan was to have Gallo would join current starters Luka/THJ/DFS and KP or have him replace DFS in a lineup like Luka/THJ/Gallo/Maxi and KP.  

If the former, I might prefer a S&T for UFA Christian Wood.  Size, rebounding, PnR ability, can put it on the floor and can hit a 3.  Maxi is first big off the bench and can play alongside either KP or Wood.  You have to get Detroit to agree to a trade and the obviously want to keep him.  But, they can't prevent him from signing elsewhere for nothing.  So, better to get something from us if Wood is dead set on leaving.
Like Reply

Luka/THJ/DFS/Gallo/KP is nice from a size standpoint but defensively it's not going to cut it. 

I would have loved the addition.  I can see any two of Maxi, DFS or Gallo on the floor at all times.  Luka/JB are the ball handlers, THJ/Curry are the SG's and KP and someone (presumably WCS or Powell at some future date) rotate at the C.  That is a stout 9 man rotation.  Gallo has always been an on-court positive.  A 130-120 win is just as valuable as 120-110.

We don't know what the package was. Maybe it was like Lee plus a 2nd rounder and the extension to Gallo would have been team friendly. You get a good deal like that and it's good asset management. Of course it didn't happen. I would be surprised if Mavs target him this off-season.
Like Reply
(03-08-2020, 08:50 AM)StepBackJay Wrote:

We don't know what the package was. Maybe it was like Lee plus a 2nd rounder and the extension to Gallo would have been team friendly. You get a good deal like that and it's good asset management. Of course it didn't happen. I would be surprised if Mavs target him this off-season.

There had to be another player and they had to make a certain salary to trade match at the TDL.
Like Reply
(03-08-2020, 08:39 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: If the former, I might prefer a S&T for UFA Christian Wood.

Why SnT. Why not just sign him for MLE?
Like Reply
(03-08-2020, 10:34 AM)omahen Wrote:
(03-08-2020, 08:39 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: If the former, I might prefer a S&T for UFA Christian Wood.

I was going to post something really snarky and sarcastic, but then decided that would be overreacting to your post. Let's just say that Wood is playing himself well-into above-MLE territory.
Like Reply
(03-08-2020, 11:55 AM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(03-08-2020, 10:34 AM)omahen Wrote:

I was going to post something really snarky and sarcastic, but then decided that would be overreacting to your post. Let's just say that Wood is playing himself well-into above-MLE territory.

Agree.  I could see Phoenix or Charlotte going above the MLE.  That's actually a good thing as you have to have the threat of losing Wood for nothing in order to motivate Detroit to do a S&T with a player they'd like to keep.
Like Reply
(03-08-2020, 12:52 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Agree.  I could see Phoenix or Charlotte going above the MLE.  That's actually a good thing as you have to have the threat of losing Wood for nothing in order to motivate Detroit to do a S&T with a player they'd like to keep.

I surely agree he has an excellent half of season. However, I don't really see a contender splashing anything more than MLE for him, as it is a risk if his production is sustainable. One thing are nice stats on a tanking team the other is contributing for a contender. Have a look at Powell stats second half of last season, for example. Or Wright 26 games in Memphis. 

I am not saying Wood is bad or anything. Perhaps he will continue with his games and become a star. However, I don't think any contender will risk it above MLE. Another example is Beasley - do you see any contender splashing THJ like money for him? That being said, it is up to Wood. If he wants to play for a contender, he takes the MLE. If he prefers money, he will stay in Detroit or sign for someone similar. If Phoenix would be the one bidding for him, I rather take Saric for MLE from them.
Like Reply
If we are talking about paying 15+ per for a PF, I would rather throw them at Montrezl or trade for Gordon or Young.
Like Reply
(03-08-2020, 12:13 AM)Branduil Wrote: It's a shame we couldn't get Covington because he sure looks like he would have been the perfect froncourt partner for KP now.
He’s not any better than DFS though. [sarcasm]

As much as I like DFS for what he is, we need to upgrade over him and/or THJ if we’re going to reach contender status. There is no doubt in my mind about that. They can be opportunistic about the PF position if they want with Powell’s injury as long as it doesn’t prohibit wing upgrades.

You’re making this a binary discussion. This isn’t baseball or football where offense and defense/pitching are separate entities. Basketball team dynamics are far more complicated. 

Gallo taking every WCS, MKG, JJ minutes makes the Mavs undoubtedly better.
Like Reply
(03-08-2020, 04:22 PM)omahen Wrote: If we are talking about paying 15+ per for a PF, I would rather throw them at Montrezl or trade for Gordon or Young.

My dream is still Grant (DEN). He's a Maxi 2.0, shorter and quicker and can play SF if we want to go big. Maybe package Wright/Jackson with our picks to go up and select a wing that can defend and go with:

Luka/THJ/DFS/Grant/KP/Brunson/Curry/1st round/Kleber/Powell.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/...1323067393
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
ESPN's Brian Windhorst said as much on The Hoop Collective podcast (h/t RealGM), suggesting that a number of teams could look to make subsequent moves should Antetokounmpo sign a supermax contract extension because they no longer have to save up for a run at him in 2021 free agency:

"One of the things when I talk to executives out there that they say is if Giannis extends with the Bucks this summer, which depending on who you talk to is either a slam dunk or a real question, the Bucks certainly feel like they have a great chance to extend him this summer. If he signs that supermax extension this summer and all of the teams that are sort of saving, you know, keeping their ammo dry for 2021 may begin to make action. They tell me this summer's star movement may be hinged on whether or not Giannis extends or not. If he extends, you'll all of a sudden see more action."
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
I just hope the MBT doesn't get caught having a group dinner when the market opens up.
Like Reply
(03-08-2020, 04:26 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote:
(03-08-2020, 12:13 AM)Branduil Wrote: It's a shame we couldn't get Covington because he sure looks like he would have been the perfect froncourt partner for KP now.
He’s not any better than DFS though. [sarcasm]

As much as I like DFS for what he is, we need to upgrade over him and/or THJ if we’re going to reach contender status. There is no doubt in my mind about that. They can be opportunistic about the PF position if they want with Powell’s injury as long as it doesn’t prohibit wing upgrades.

You’re making this a binary discussion. This isn’t baseball or football where offense and defense/pitching are separate entities. Basketball team dynamics are far more complicated. 

Gallo taking every WCS, MKG, JJ minutes makes the Mavs undoubtedly better.

I think your closing 5 in the last 5+ min of the game is really important to winning basketball games. I like Gallo as a player but I don't really see a fit here because we need a defensive upgrade in that closing 5.
Like Reply
"John Hollinger, a writer for The Athletic and a former Memphis Grizzlies executive, estimated that those losses could translate to a salary cap decline of $8 million next year, easily the largest ever, even if Silver can salvage the playoffs. A Bleacher Report estimate said that the salary cap hit could reach $15 million if the season is lost.

Such a drop would have numerous wide-ranging repercussions.

Young stars like Toronto Raptors forward Pascal Siakam and Philadelphia 76ers guard Ben Simmons signed maximum contract extensions before the season that were worth 25 percent of next year's salary cap figure. Those contracts would drop proportionally with the salary cap, potentially costing both players millions in anticipated earnings.

Free agents set to hit the market this summer would also be hit hard, with potential suitors having less spending power than initially expected. A lack of superstar talent was going to make this summer's free agency period relatively quiet regardless, but the changing market dynamics could encourage some players to exercise their contract options and delay free agency until 2021. Second-tier players might also be forced to settle for one-year contracts and hope that more money is available next summer.'

https://oklahoman.com/article/5658283/co...y-cap-drop

You don't say...
Like Reply
We discussed Collins once already. How about THJ, Brunson, 2020 1st, 2025 1st and whatever 2nd rounders needed? We would also get enough cap space for someone like Fournier, if cap remains approximately the same (let's be optimistic about that). 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2882...candidates

Luka, Wright
Fournier, Seth
DFS, JJ
Collins, Kleber
KP, Powell
Like Reply