Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
(01-31-2020, 05:46 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Justin Jackson may be a decent player someday but honestly I think he stinks right now. Igoudala in his rocking chair is a huge upgrade. If the Mavs can land Iggy, and Luka goes bonkers in the playoffs, this team can beat anyone.

https://media.giphy.com/media/4KFmnhl9Zz.../giphy.gif
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1223391333525729280
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 06:34 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I think the Mavs deserve more compensation.

Honestly I came up with this idea as a way to get Troy Brown Jr. He's a player I really like. 

It's a swing for the fence deal, for sure. 

I'm sort of in the anti-RoCo crowd, not because I don't think RoCo is good. Like I've said, he's probably a nice upgrade over DFS. But Covington is still a role player. Iggy is cheaper and attainable.

Wall on the other hand? He is yin to Doncic's yang. He's the ultra-quick dynamic scorer / playmaker that can put this team over the top. He's who you hoped DSJ could become in your wildest dreams. Mavs couldn't land Kemba as a FA. Maybe Donnie can trade for a similar player. 

Look, an achilles is a big risk but look at JJB. Look at KD getting the max after his achilles.

I don't think the Wizards would do the deal.

(01-31-2020, 07:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1223391333525729280

prefer Hollis-Jefferson
Like Reply
 https://theathletic.com/1575738/2020/01/...-deadline/

New roundtable piece up on The Athletic where they talk about the TDL on a league-wide basis.  Dallas gets a couple of early mentions:

Leroux:  My most interesting buyer is the Mavericks. They are not in the top tier of title contenders but have a young MVP candidate and a big expiring contract in Courtney Lee that Donnie Nelson can wield to add someone who can ideally help now and later. Of course, that player needs to be identifiable and obtainable, which may not be the case in this strange market.

Vecenie: I will just note: in conversations that I’ve had with executives for other teams, Dallas seems to be one that no one wants to play in the playoffs due to Luka and their offensive firepower. The theory is that they could get hot in four out of seven games and just blow the doors off of a team. They’re only 5-8 against other Western Conference playoff teams, though, so I’m not sure how real that concern should be. But if they make a move, could they push that even further? I agree with Danny that they’re very interesting.

Help Now and In The Future?  Then, they barely mention Dallas throughout the entire piece until they discuss Iggy:

Vecenie:   the move for me has always been Dallas. Dallas could use another big wing who can initiate with the ball in his hands and take on tough defensive assignments. They can salary match with Courtney Lee and Justin Jackson, then the Mavericks have that Warriors second round pick that is currently slated at No. 31 overall. I’m not sure I see anyone giving up a first rounder for an Iguodala that hasn’t been playing the whole year, so I feel like that’s literally the best that the Grizzlies could do?

I've not thought of a deal where GSW #2 and Jackson are included.  Jackson fits in a TPE Memphis has (might help this summer).  It seems Dallas would be able to get something back in such a deal.  Are we at the point where Bruno Caboclo is now only "one year from being two years away"?
Like Reply
Re RHJ, MKG, I bet the Mavs just land the best guy they can get for a 2nd round pick (but not GSW). These two names could be resigned if they show promise.
Like Reply
Prefer a player that is starter quality.
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 07:03 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: prefer Hollis-Jefferson

That would be just stupid. They could have easily signed him in the summer with all the cap space available and now they would give assets for him? Other than that, he is just another rotation guy, more in the 10-15 position level. They have plenty of guys there. They have to do better than that!
Like Reply
Meant I prefer him over MCW
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 07:03 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/townbrad/status/1223391333525729280
Any chance Carlisle could fix MKG shot? Or is it just too broken?
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 10:53 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Meant I prefer him over MCW

I understand. I just needed Hollis Jefferson quote and took it from your post Smile Spending assets for minor improvements at positions 8-15 would not really be smart imho. We need starters, not more bench guys.
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 05:46 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Man I'm telling you guys. So many people here are selling Igoudala short because he's "old." How quickly people forget old Vince Carter bombing a three to beat the Spurs in the playoffs; or Marion and Kidd in 2011. 

Guys, teams play to win now. I want to win in the playoffs this year. We can figure out next year, when it's next year. It's not like the entire board won't be posting 80 pages of trade ideas two months before the 2021 trade deadline. It's not like Igoudala's salary is going to be a problem. Mavs aren't giving up even a first round pick. My goodness.

Just look at how Portland is playing now with Ariza? He's an old so called "has been" role player. But he bumped a couple scrubs (Hezonja, Baze) who can't play and now they're winning and looking good doing so. If Portland suddenly goes on a run and makes the playoffs, and Dame goes into beast mode in thr first round, tell me who in Portland is going to cry "oh, but one of our rotation players is so old and won't be here forever..." ??? Nonsense.

Just because a guy is in his mid-thirties doesn't mean he can't play. 

Hell, Lebron is 35.

Justin Jackson may be a decent player someday but honestly I think he stinks right now. Igoudala in his rocking chair is a huge upgrade. If the Mavs can land Iggy, and Luka goes bonkers in the playoffs, this team can beat anyone.
Exactly.  This is what I've been saying.  Also, another point is that I don't think there is enough sense of urgency around the Mavs making the playoffs this season.  IMO, it's not a lock at all.  If we don't get some better perimeter defense, NOW, it's going to be dicey on making the playoffs.
Like Reply
Iggy is an absolute no-brainer because of the championship experience he brings beside Luka. It's an asset for other teams as well. And Iggy will be a player, make no mistake. The guys who say "well he hasnt played in x months or x games"... it doesn't matter - when Iggy is ready, he will be good.

So if you're anti-Iggy, there is still time to save yourself. Turn away from the dark side...
Like Reply
(02-01-2020, 01:40 AM)reckoner07 Wrote: Iggy is an absolute no-brainer because of the championship experience he brings beside Luka. It's an asset for other teams as well. And Iggy will be a player, make no mistake. The guys who say "well he hasnt played in x months or x games"... it doesn't matter - when Iggy is ready, he will be good.

So if you're anti-Iggy, there is still time to save yourself. Turn away from the dark side...

I'm pro-Iggy, but not at the cost of the GSW 2nd.
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 07:37 PM)DanSchwartzman Wrote:  
Vecenie:   the move for me has always been Dallas. Dallas could use another big wing who can initiate with the ball in his hands and take on tough defensive assignments. They can salary match with Courtney Lee and Justin Jackson, then the Mavericks have that Warriors second round pick that is currently slated at No. 31 overall. I’m not sure I see anyone giving up a first rounder for an Iguodala that hasn’t been playing the whole year, so I feel like that’s literally the best that the Grizzlies could do?

I've not thought of a deal where GSW #2 and Jackson are included.  Jackson fits in a TPE Memphis has (might help this summer).  It seems Dallas would be able to get something back in such a deal.  Are we at the point where Bruno Caboclo is now only "one year from being two years away"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEr5_yfp2kE

Josh Jackson would fit into our TPE (and we'd create a new TPE for Justin Jackson's salary) if the deal was Lee/Jackson/GSW #2 for Iggy/Jackson.

That would be some clever work on the part of the Memphis GM.  He got paid a 1st to take Iggy.  He essentially got two seconds to take the spread between Jackson and Korver (who Phoenix then cut).  A Melton for Carter swap was also part of that deal.  If this went through he'd be getting paid a very high 2nd and Justin Jackson for the two guys he was paid a first and two seconds to take from others.

Iggy would be pretty Iffy beyond the current season (see what I did there).  Jackson is UFA this summer.  The team that has him has Bird Rights, but is limited as to what it can pay ($9mm I believe).  Given his history, he'd have to really shine here to command more than that anyway.  If he's still a dog, you've done nothing but remove Jackson's $5mm salary from your 2020 cap (and his $12mm hold from 2021). That little bit of extra room and a $3.2mm TPE and your 2020 pick might be valuable this summer as you try to add to the team.   

Like Reply
What about a bigger deal with Memphis that includes Anderson or Crowder. Dan just mentioned the Jackson exchange and that could be an option as well.
Crowder and Anderson both fit into our TPE. Jackson and Lee can match Iggys salary. Mavs could add the Warriors and Jazz 2nd round picks.

Anderson + Iggy --> Lee + Jackson + GS 2nd + Utah 2nd

Would give the Mavs size, defense and playmaking.
Like Reply
Day t-minus 6 and counting.
Like Reply
I have to think RH-J and MC-W mentions from Townsend are intended to apply pressure to Memphis. Those players aren’t in Iggy’s class. But they fit the same role as 14-20 MIN Power Wings (I like that term Dan!) / defending small-ball fours. This is a role I’ve pinned for all year. 

Mavs need more size / physicality on the floor when KP plays 5. And they need big defenders to matchup with teams like Boston, Clippers (and even Phoenix).

Coincidentally, RoCo would fill the exact same role but he would require more minutes and cost a lot more.
Like Reply
I feel like Memphis is trying everything to get something better than Lee+2nd rounder for Iggy. I think Dallas isn't budging which is good.

Iggy is what we need. We need that experience and level of defense, and we're one of the only teams that can actually match salaries.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(01-31-2020, 07:03 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: prefer Hollis-Jefferson

I'm changing my vote. I now officially prefer MKG. I was influenced by this article, but this is the type of player that I think is uniquely suited to thrive in the modern NBA, provided the team has a unicorn center. 

If KP is going to start at 5, the Mavs need a 3/4 who can defend wings and bang inside. Obviously, Draymond is ideal. Tucker would work. Iggy and RoCo can defend and shoot. Neither Hollis-Jefferson nor MKG can shoot; but they would set picks and roll. Both are far better perimeter defenders than WCS who would become your backup center / roll man when Kleber is on the floor.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/10/26...mond-green

Also, from The Athletic:

Partnow: As we and others have discussed, Covington is far more useful as an off the ball defender than as a stopper. I think [Jerami] Grant gives more resistance to the power scorer types.

...so if the Mavs need a 3/4 defender to go against power scorers, RoCo may not even be a good fit.
Like Reply
(02-01-2020, 09:01 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: What about a bigger deal with Memphis that includes Anderson or Crowder. Dan just mentioned the Jackson exchange and that could be an option as well.
Crowder and Anderson both fit into our TPE. Jackson and Lee can match Iggys salary. Mavs could add the Warriors and Jazz 2nd round picks.

Anderson + Iggy --> Lee + Jackson + GS 2nd + Utah 2nd

Would give the Mavs size, defense and playmaking.

The Utah 2nd went out in the WCS deal.  

Anderson was a secret crush of mine when he was in San Antonio.  His advanced stats and on/off numbers were really good.  He struggled to find a role in Memphis last season and has been totally marginalized by Brandon Clarke this season.  He is also a bad fit there from a pace standpoint (not really an issue here). 

He would certainly be an upgrade over Justin Jackson defensively.  Given space, he's also good at getting to the basket.  The issues with Anderson are obvious...his contract runs to the summer of 22 and he hasn't been much of a 3 point shooter.  If we are going to do a GSW #2 for Iggy rental, then I want something else in the deal.  Jackson for Anderson works for me.  There are a lot of mouths to feed in terms of PT.
Like Reply