Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/12/10...-covington
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
Mavs incoming: Marvin Williams, Willy Hernangomez

Mavs outgoing: Courtney Lee, Isaiah Roby or another filler, Warriors 2nd rounder
Like Reply
What could the Rockets possibly give the Wolves? What would you rather have:

- 2020 HOU 1st, 2022 Hou 1st, Nene (HOU offer).

- 2020 GSW 2nd, 2020 UTA 2nd, Jackson, Curry and a Dieng Dump for Lee (my DAL offer).

Our 2nd rounder this year (#31-33) will be close to the Rockets first (#24-27) so it's not a great value there.

Doncic/THJ/RoCo/KP/Powell/Wright/Kleber/DFS/Brunson is our 9-man gang.
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 12:27 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: 2020 GSW 2nd, 2020 UTA 2nd, Jackson, Curry and a Dieng Dump for Lee (my DAL offer)

That is actually a good proposal. Although if I was the Minnesota, I would aim for bigger goals like Russel, even if I would have to wait till the summer. And Covington would be an essential piece in such a trade.
Like Reply
Not Stevo please keep him!

https://twitter.com/TheNBACentral/status...0932525061
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 12:38 PM)omahen Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 12:27 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: 2020 GSW 2nd, 2020 UTA 2nd, Jackson, Curry and a Dieng Dump for Lee (my DAL offer)

That is actually a good proposal. Although if I was the Minnesota, I would aim for bigger goals like Russel, even if I would have to wait till the summer. And Covington would be an essential piece in such a trade.

Curry reunion?

DAL: RoCo, Dieng.
MIN: D-Lo.
GSW: Curry, Jackson, 2020 GSW 2nd, 2020 MIN 1st, 2022 MIN 1st.
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 12:56 PM)aguiar95 Wrote: Curry reunion?

GSW is not receiving enough in salaries. Add Lee.
Like Reply
The Houston Rockets reportedly have "serious interest" in acquiring Robert Covington from the Minnesota Timberwolves as they look to improve their roster for a deep playoff run.

Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer reported the Rockets' interest, though he noted Minnesota's desire to move Covington is unclear. Covington is considered a coveted trade chip because of his three-and-D skills and manageable salary (two years, $25 million remaining after 2019-20).
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
How could Dallas improve the roster in regards to helping facilitating the Kevin Love to POR trade?  If there’s a chance we can dump THJ or lee for bazemore or sombody expiring on POR/ and or CLE? Kevin love was traded strait up for HW I’d assume Cleveland would buy him out.  Would y’all be willing to sign him?  He’d be a great addition to our roster and we don’t have a center that’s on his level defensively.  That may not be saying much but he could improve this team instantly
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 02:09 AM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 01:23 AM)SkenfromLMF Wrote: The Mavs currently sit at 6 million from the Hard Cap. The Trade Exceptions count toward the Hard Cap. IF the right trade comes along that takes Dallas above a 6 million dollar return, then the TE's would have to be renounced to make the trade legal.

They do? I tried to look that up and I found nothing saying that trade exceptions count toward the cap. I looked at the CBA and it mentioned nothing regarding trade exceptions being counted towards the cap either to my knowledge. Every single website has the Mavs at 120 million in salary at the moment. According to that logic, the Mavs are currently in the luxury tax. Where did you read that? 

I know over the summer the Mavs had to choose to operate as an over the cap team or under the cap team and depending on their route they could have waived the exceptions and taken the cap space instead. Even so if the Mavs were to waive these exceptions (or let them expire), their total team salary would still be at 120 million, which is 18 million below 138, and 12 million below the luxury tax. 

Trade exceptions are incredibly complicated and I still don't fully understand them (I WISH DLORD WAS HERE), so what you're saying could be 100% true, I just couldn't find anything to verify that.

Exactly right regarding Trade Exception as the unused portion of Barnes'/Matthews' salary for both the cap space and the hard cap calculations. IMO, the Matthews TE is non-existent (hard to trade for a salary less than 2 million that is not a minimum exception anyway).
The only issue I am trying to clarify regarding the hard cap calculation is that we can't take on a large chunk of salary in a trade AND use the TEs. Yes, theoretically the Mavs could renounce the TEs and have an entire $18 million cushion, but to do that means using current roster assets to improve the team.

IMO the way this would work with Iggy is to trade Lee and Broekhoff and then take on a balast salary from another team that has a player Memphis wants. That trade would increase Dallas' salary by about 3 million...
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 01:45 PM)Guwop Wrote: How could Dallas improve the roster in regards to helping facilitating the Kevin Love to POR trade?

I don't think they need any help. It is pretty much Whiteside plus assets for Love. Or Bazemore instead of White. Neither Baze nor White makes us better enough to give up anything.
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 01:13 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: The Houston Rockets reportedly have "serious interest" in acquiring Robert Covington from the Minnesota Timberwolves as they look to improve their roster for a deep playoff run.

Kevin O'Connor of The Ringer reported the Rockets' interest, though he noted Minnesota's desire to move Covington is unclear. Covington is considered a coveted trade chip because of his three-and-D skills and manageable salary (two years, $25 million remaining after 2019-20).

Houston doesn't have anything the Wolves would want. I don't know why the Wolves would move RoCo absent a trade for a star.
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 03:47 PM)StepBackJay Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 01:13 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: The Houston Rockets reportedly have "serious interest" in acquiring Robert Covington from the Minnesota Timberwolves as they look to improve their roster for a deep playoff run.

Houston doesn't have anything the Wolves would want. I don't know why the Wolves would move RoCo absent a trade for a star.

What about a 3 way trade with OKC?  CP/player/s to Wolves, Love/scraps to OKC and RoCo to Rox.  But other moving parts too?
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 04:04 PM)ThunderMav Wrote:

What about a 3 way trade with OKC?  CP/player/s to Wolves, Love/scraps to OKC and RoCo to Rox.  But other moving parts too?

If I am the Wolves and want to swing for the fences with CP I would only send back filler contracts considering you are signing up for his massive deal. I would not give anything of value. 3-ways also rarely happen.

Like if the Wolves wanted to send expiring Teague and Dieng for CP3 then that is a deal that could work for both sides. OKC would take that in a heartbeat to get off of CP3's money. For the Wolves they would have to think that CP3 is a win-now move that makes their team a legitimate playoff team. I still don't know that CP3 is going to mesh any better with Towns and Wiggins than Butler would have. I imagine they wouldn't want to sign up for all that money but you are getting a very good player for expiring contracts.
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 04:04 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: What about a 3 way trade with OKC?  CP/player/s to Wolves, Love/scraps to OKC and RoCo to Rox.  But other moving parts too?

Putting on my tinfoil hat, I could see a massive 5 team trade happening between the Wolves, Cleveland, Rockets, Portland, and OKC.

Centered around CP3 going to the Wolves, Love going to Portland, OKC getting either Baze or Whiteside with the other going to Cleveland. And Houston getting RoCo, with Houston sending draft capital (which they don't have much), or players (again something they don't have much).

Honestly you could hypothetically fit Dallas right into Houston's spot and it'd work, with the Mavs providing Lee and or picks to grab RoCo, which is better than anything Houston could provide. It would be unprecedented as basically 4 Western Conference teams are working together, and it'd be one of the biggest trades in NBA history. BUT theoretically it works and every team gets something that they want.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 05:39 PM)SleepingHero Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 04:04 PM)ThunderMav Wrote: What about a 3 way trade with OKC? CP/player/s to Wolves, Love/scraps to OKC and RoCo to Rox. But other moving parts too?

Putting on my tinfoil hat, I could see a massive 5 team trade happening between the Wolves, Cleveland, Rockets, Portland, and OKC.

Centered around CP3 going to the Wolves, Love going to Portland, OKC getting either Baze or Whiteside with the other going to Cleveland. And Houston getting RoCo, with Houston sending draft capital (which they don't have much), or players (again something they don't have much).

Honestly you could hypothetically fit Dallas right into Houston's spot and it'd work, with the Mavs providing Lee and or picks to grab RoCo, which is better than anything Houston could provide. It would be unprecedented as basically 4 Western Conference teams are working together, and it'd be one of the biggest trades in NBA history. BUT theoretically it works and every team gets something that they want.

If the Mavs find a way to add RoCo to their starting lineup without including Wright in the trade, and if the team stays healthy, the Mavs become a true contender.
Like Reply
Also, I am dumb.  For whatever reason I musta had flashbacks when I said Love/Wolves.  I meant Love/Cavs.  So many players have moved the past 5 years it caught me off guard.  

There are lots of trading options.  I hate hearing Adams is being offered up I really like him and his Kiwi humor.  He is still learning and a team with good coach could make him better.  He always starts games out strong and then we stop using him.  He can drive when needed.  He can shoot better than most know.  But I am spoiled and want to keep him for the rebuild lol.
Like Reply
Let's go full euro :-)

Bertans for GSW second rounder at TDL. He is an offensive killer and could provide the spark from bench that was somehow lost when THJ was moved to first unit. He would take Seth minutes in the rotation and also enable JJ to move to his natural position as he is playing PF now. This also allows us to move Seth in a different trade if opportunity comes.

Second unit would be: Brunson, Wright, JJ, Bertans and Kleber.

We add Hernangomez brothers in the summer. Juancho for MLE at max. He takes JJ spot. He is better defender and has shown decent offense when given a chance. This enables us to move JJ. Charlotte basically gave up on Willy so he should be available for min contract in the summer, just because he is great to have in the locker room and because he looks so pretty waiving that towell from the bench cheering for his guys :-) I don't really see him in the rotation. 

I am not sure what Denver is expecting for Beasley. Perhaps Seth + JJ + 2 second rounders for Beasley and Hernangomez? Move makes Denver better and they get some draft compensation. They will not be able to resign those guys anyway.

Let's make another shuffle, just for the sake of it:

Wright + Curry for Dieng and RoCo (takes DFS role) 

Lee + 2nd rounder for Dunn (takes Wright role) and Felicio

Broekhoff, Roby + GSW 2nd for Bertans (takes Seth role). 

Doncic, THJ, RoCo, Powell, KP
Dunn, Brunson, JJ, Bertans, Kleber
Like Reply
(12-10-2019, 04:04 PM)ThunderMav Wrote:

I still can´t figure out why the Thunder would want to blow it up. They could easily get RoCo, Igouldala and Love with their PG+Westbrook haul.

How far does

CP3
SGA
RoCo
Gallo
Adams

with a bench of

Schroeder
Ferguson
Igoudala
Love
Noel

go in the West? Doesn´t look any worse than any of the top teams. Their problem is that they´ll struggle to match the contracts  in the trades.
Like Reply
(12-11-2019, 01:57 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I still can´t figure out why the Thunder would want to blow it up.
(12-11-2019, 01:57 AM)Mavs2019 Wrote: I still can´t figure out why the Thunder would want to blow it up.

I think they will only sell any of their players for a very good haul, because they are really not forced to sell anyone. They already have a gazillion of picks to trade. Otherwise I agree:

Roberson plus assets for RoCo. It might be useful to "split" Paul for them, as they could use the smaller contracts for moves as you proposed.
Like Reply