Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 3 Average
2019-2020 Mavs Trade Discussion + Salary Chart
Dear Mr. Duffy,

Just had a nice little chat with Rich Paul and I agree with him I could use help in Dallas. He has some great ideas, but let me hear yours first. I was thinking JRich and Myles Turner would look mightly nice in our starting five, next to KP, DFS and me. Dragic (for MLE) and A.Bradley for vet min would fit great next to Curry of the bench. I wonder if you have any way to contact them. We will figure out the rest. 

Yours sincerely, Luka Doncic

P.S.: say hi to Roberson and Harkless for me, always worshiped their game
Like Reply
(08-25-2020, 02:31 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 02:18 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Then it becomes a matter of your negotiating skills, when you have the best real estate in the country.

Wow, you are up for a major disapointment. Not saying that it is impossible to get a top FA, but it is also not that easy. LA and NY are the best real estate in the country, and it is not even close. That's why Kawhi is with Clippers and not in Toronto defending the title.

I am 100 % sure AD will stay with LA for at least a couple more seasons. Gobert is not that special and I prefer KP to him anytime.

(08-25-2020, 02:22 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: KP is not getting traded any time soon.

Certainly. Even if Mavs tried, everyone would run away because it would be clear injury concern is the reason.

No he's just not getting traded period. Not right now. Mavs don't want to trade him. He literally just got here, this isn't NBA 2k.

Speaking of trades that won't happen...would you do Horford for Powell, Wright and Jackson?
Like Reply
(08-25-2020, 01:07 AM)Mapka Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 09:57 PM)Dundalis Wrote:
(08-24-2020, 01:08 PM)StepBackJay Wrote: Y'all make me nuts with this Hield talk. We have the best offensive rating of all time and we are going to get another offense-only player? Let's get somebody who can guard the other team's best player. Right now we have good not elite DFS and Maxi as our big stoppers. KP is really our best defensive player by far but he is of course not a perimeter defender. We need an elite perimeter defender or it doesn't matter how many shooters we have.
This is a super short sighted outlook. The fact is, we do not have a reliable third go to guy. People are all over someone like Trey Burke after a handful of good games and it speaks volumes about how easily we get hooked into recency bias. These players have track records. They aren't rookies with no history. You can ignore that track record all you like and say what they are doing now is what they are gonna be going forward. It just doesn't always work like that, in fact we've been screwed in the past thinking that way. Especially in Burke's case, but also potentially in THJ's case, or even a bunch of other players having absolute career seasons in terms of shooting percentages. The other problem is the fact that we have what is potentially a very unreliable second option. Who knows how KP's health will hold up? The knee issue is quite concerning to me, and while the FO put faith in him by trading for him and giving him that contract, to not plan for worst case is to straight up be negligent.

Just because this team had the best offensive rating ever, doesn't mean that will continue to be the case. We do not have close to the offensive talent of a Golden State Warriors. To think we are anywhere close because of this efficiency stat is foolish. We have a bunch of guys who've been streaky shooters their entire careers, all of a sudden have their most efficient shooting seasons ever, at the same time. I think it's a bad idea to rely on that. This is not to say we don't need defense. We absolutely do. I'm just saying taking the outlook that this team is loaded with offensive talent and therefore we look at other areas is just not really looking judiciously at our roster. We need high level talent, offensively or defensively, particularly players that fit the style we play.

Sorry for being rude, but that's BS. 
Buddy Hield is as bad as it gets as a third option. He isn't able to create any shot for anyone.

He is an elite spotup or catch and shoot shooter. And guess what. He is also streaky as hell. Because shooting is a streaky skill. 

I would't even say he is that much overpayed because he is doing his role at such high level and volume,( if his coach let him). But in the end we get much of his production and some by Curry for a third of the price. 

Would I take an elite two-way-wing? LOL Yes, of course. Do we get one without trading Luka? No, so why not trying to improve with small steps.
No apology needed, I don't mind. By your logic, Steph Curry, the greatest shooter of all time is streaky, because he only shoots 43.5% over his career. Meaning he misses more than he makes and has plenty of bad shooting nights. Taking the word streaky with no contextual reference is kinda dumb. Streaky shooting is always used by comparison to other players in the league, not as an irrelative definition, otherwise it carries no real meaning, I thought that was obvious. Hield is a straight up elite shooter as he has proven over his entire career, as opposed to just a run of a couple games or just one season. The only player we have in his league as a deep threat is Curry. Hield can do what Curry does at much higher volume, and the idea that having two players in that category doesn't carry a significant positive impact on our offense especially as one of the heaviest 3 point shooting focused teams in the league, is just underestimating the gravity and spacing a truly elite shooter can bring.

9 attempts per game from 3 at his career shooting percentage is defense warping for other teams. I think our system caters to his skillset so well he does better than his career average, possibly at or better than his career best, like a whole bunch of our players have done this season. But this is not about Hield being the best trade option. This is about him absolutely being a good trade option of the players whom have both been made available and that we could potentially trade for with the non Luka and KP assets we have. To say he's as bad as it gets as a third option is just ignorant. Especially the way our team is setup and functions, Heild's offensive skillset as a starter is almost as perfectly complementary as you can get (sure it would be nice if he could also ball handle and create a bit) when you already have a player who completely dominates the ball. Obviously an elite 3&D wing who can ball handle some would be the best outcome. Having Hield replacing THJ in the starting lineup, and then finding another DFS equivalent or hopefully better puts us in a pretty good position going forward IMO. We obviously would prefer a secondary ball handler in the starting lineup, but you don't get to just construct the perfect lineup with the perfect attributes like you are creating players in 2K.
Like Reply
I'm with you about we can't habe enough shooting. But we need some playmaking too. And Defense. 

Buddy is a elite high volume role player. And THJ is a starterlevel player. We are already one starter down at least. 
We can't give one away without getting one back.

We need creation from the two-spot, as I don't see where we will get them otherwise. Or is there something I don't see?
Like Reply
Buddy Hield makes no sense on this team.

We need all kinds of defense, perimeter and interior. We could not stop Harrell. I think when KP is in there obv you are in better shape, especially if Maxi is backing him up. With Maxi having to start then you quickly run out of options. Boban could not stop him and MKG certainly wasn't going to slow him down. Obv we aren't going to play the Clippers every year but I think you gotta get those defensive wings. I am not sure Powell would be able to slow down Harrell too much but I think KP + Maxi off the bench would help with that type of player.

Defense, defense, defense!
Like Reply
(08-25-2020, 02:31 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-25-2020, 02:18 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Then it becomes a matter of your negotiating skills, when you have the best real estate in the country.

Wow, you are up for a major disapointment. Not saying that it is impossible to get a top FA, but it is also not that easy. LA and NY are the best real estate in the country, and it is not even close.
 Real estate as in Luka Doncic, the hottest property around.

That whole idea that a city matters is just outdated. This isn´t 1985. Maybe it does for like 3-5% of players, but mostly it comes down to money and winning. We have money and we have winning.
Like Reply
New on the forum, Mavs fan from Slovenia.

First of all, watching Dallas throughout the first and second season of Luka i think the biggest job Dallas already did. In the first season with trading with Knicks. This season provides that Dallas have done the core of the team and that Luka is a guy who could and will lead Dallas to the contenders for the title.

Also work in the first two seasons of Luka in Dallas shows, that Dallas si looking for a longterm succes and they will build step by step.
This season and a playoff wins are also good experience for a team and also shows what are Dallas biggest strengths. System in the team and the fantastic chemistry between the players. 

That system and chemistry which Dallas have also shows that this team is capable to do every player better than in other teams, that also ''no name players'' (Seth, Burke, DFS) have fantastic value for the team and a players who didn't succed in other clubs in that system could be fantastic 3-4 option (Hardaway jr). That strengths will also be important facts in upcoming trades & FA.

So core of the team for the next season:

Porzingis - Powell - Marjanović
? - Kleber
DFS - ?
Hardaway jr - Curry - Burke
Luka - Brunson

Resign Burke this offseason 3 years - 15 mil. 

So under a contract for a next season we stay with Jackson, WCS (if he opts in), Wright and a draft picks from this year as a assest. That mean that we should be looking for players who are or on a bad contract or didn't succed in other teams and a teams want to get rid of them or a player have problems with health or something.

One of interesting players could be Julius Randle. They were news that New York is open to trading him and the will not be many interesting clubs. Yes, he is not Aaron Gordon, but he got potential and if he could be traded for a nothing (Wright, Jackson, WCS and picks) i think we should tried. Maybe also with a 3 team trade.

I know he was disaster in New York, but similar things were talked also about Hardaway jr. who is playing well in Dallas. But he got potential and Dallas could provide them a system where he never played for. In that system with Porzingis as a rim protector and a player who plays in offense outside the rim, with a team with a lot of shooters and a team where he could be often alone on the shoot i think he could be very valuable player.

If that trade could happen team for next season should look:

Porzingis - Powell - Marjanovic
Randle - Kleber
DFS - FA (players like Crowder, Bazemore 1 year deal).
Hardaway - Curry - Burke
Luka - Brunson

So before 2021 FA and with possible Hardaway resigning (per around 15 mil.) we will have around 110 mil. of cap space. 
I think it's 2021 FA is way overhyped for us. First, Giannis will stay at the Bucks or he will sign for a teams like Warriors, Heat, Lakers or others. Other star, Oladipo i think is not good fit for Dallas and not worth max contract. 

So even if we extend Hardaway i think we will have close to 20 mil. cap space for 2021 free agency and we should be looking for a players like Kelly Oubre, Josh Richardson (player option), maybe Otto Porter Jr., Barton (player option), Gordon Hayward as a small forwards or a Kendrick Nunn, Devonte Graham as a guard for that final piece from which Dallas will become real contender for a title.
Like Reply
Here we go. THJ+#18+2025 FRP is probably best we could do without adding long term money for Indy. Oladipo might have a say in scaring some bad teams by saying through agent - you can trade for me but I will not resign in 2021. I want to win now. Still, teams like Denver (Harris, Barton), Brooklyn (Dinwiddie, LeVert) and Miami (Robinson, Herro, Dunn) could offer both good players to Indy and competitive environment to Dipo. Theoreticaly, Miami can trade for him and keep max space for 2021. But if I am Indy, I am not taking anything less than Herro and Robinson from them. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2906...-offseason
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 01:25 PM)MAVS-SLO Wrote: New on the forum, Mavs fan from Slovenia.

First of all, watching Dallas throughout the first and second season of Luka i think the biggest job Dallas already did. In the first season with trading with Knicks. This season provides that Dallas have done the core of the team and that Luka is a guy who could and will lead Dallas to the contenders for the title.

Also work in the first two seasons of Luka in Dallas shows, that Dallas si looking for a longterm succes and they will build step by step.
This season and a playoff wins are also good experience for a team and also shows what are Dallas biggest strengths. System in the team and the fantastic chemistry between the players. 

That system and chemistry which Dallas have also shows that this team is capable to do every player better than in other teams, that also ''no name players'' (Seth, Burke, DFS) have fantastic value for the team and a players who didn't succed in other clubs in that system could be fantastic 3-4 option (Hardaway jr). That strengths will also be important facts in upcoming trades & FA.

So core of the team for the next season:

Porzingis - Powell - Marjanović
? - Kleber
DFS - ?
Hardaway jr - Curry - Burke
Luka - Brunson

Resign Burke this offseason 3 years - 15 mil. 

So under a contract for a next season we stay with Jackson, WCS (if he opts in), Wright and a draft picks from this year as a assest. That mean that we should be looking for players who are or on a bad contract or didn't succed in other teams and a teams want to get rid of them or a player have problems with health or something.

One of interesting players could be Julius Randle. They were news that New York is open to trading him and the will not be many interesting clubs. Yes, he is not Aaron Gordon, but he got potential and if he could be traded for a nothing (Wright, Jackson, WCS and picks) i think we should tried. Maybe also with a 3 team trade.

I know he was disaster in New York, but similar things were talked also about Hardaway jr. who is playing well in Dallas. But he got potential and Dallas could provide them a system where he never played for. In that system with Porzingis as a rim protector and a player who plays in offense outside the rim, with a team with a lot of shooters and a team where he could be often alone on the shoot i think he could be very valuable player.

If that trade could happen team for next season should look:

Porzingis - Powell - Marjanovic
Randle - Kleber
DFS - FA (players like Crowder, Bazemore 1 year deal).
Hardaway - Curry - Burke
Luka - Brunson

So before 2021 FA and with possible Hardaway resigning (per around 15 mil.) we will have around 110 mil. of cap space. 
I think it's 2021 FA is way overhyped for us. First, Giannis will stay at the Bucks or he will sign for a teams like Warriors, Heat, Lakers or others. Other star, Oladipo i think is not good fit for Dallas and not worth max contract. 

So even if we extend Hardaway i think we will have close to 20 mil. cap space for 2021 free agency and we should be looking for a players like Kelly Oubre, Josh Richardson (player option), maybe Otto Porter Jr., Barton (player option), Gordon Hayward as a small forwards or a Kendrick Nunn, Devonte Graham as a guard for that final piece from which Dallas will become real contender for a title.

Welcome to the board!
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 01:31 PM)omahen Wrote: Here we go. THJ+#18+2025 FRP is probably best we could do without adding long term money for Indy. Oladipo might have a say in scaring some bad teams by saying through agent - you can trade for me but I will not resign in 2021. I want to win now. Still, teams like Denver (Harris, Barton), Brooklyn (Dinwiddie, LeVert) and Miami (Robinson, Herro, Dunn) could offer both good players to Indy and competitive environment to Dipo. Theoreticaly, Miami can trade for him and keep max space for 2021. But if I am Indy, I am not taking anything less than Herro and Robinson from them. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2906...-offseason
Two first round picks for Oladipo alone?

I don´t know. Expiring contract and awful injury return.

Plus Indiana always seems more interested in ready players than picks, so Jalen Brunson would probably be the most interesting trade piece fot them. I´d actually consider sticking Maxi in there, although it hurts, and Wright. So the deal would be

Brunson + Kleber + Wright for Oladipo

Trade #18 for #21 + #34 + #35 with Philly.

Offer Saric the full MLE to replace Kleber.  Four picks from #21 to #35 to replace Brunson and Wright.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 04:31 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Brunson + Kleber + Wright for Oladipo

Back up PG, back up PF and another back up PG for a potential all star guard? Not going to happen. Not even to mention, Indy has already Brogdon and Holiday at PG, even McConnel can be potentially kept. Picks are more valuable here and THJ can produce more than the three mentioned guys plus he is a direct replacement for Oladipo.
Like Reply
Your trades aren't #woke enough. We need to win Twitter by trading for a WNBA player!
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 04:50 PM)omahen Wrote:

Back up PG, back up PF and another back up PG for a potential all star guard? Not going to happen. Not even to mention, Indy has already Brogdon and Holiday at PG, even McConnel can be potentially kept. Picks are more valuable here and THJ can produce more than the three mentioned guys plus he is a direct replacement for Oladipo.

Is Brunson truly just a back-up PG though?

I think you have to have an exceptional 18th pick to find a better PG than Brunson.

14 starts this year (25+ minutes)

13.3 PPG, 5.7 APG, 3.7 RPG, 37.7% 3pt FG

For comparison

Brogdon (full 2nd season stats)

13.0 PPG, 3.2 APG, 3.3 RPG, 38.5% 3pt FG

Oladipo (current season)

14.5 PPG, 2.9 APG, 3.9 RPG
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 05:51 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

I think you have to have an exceptional 18th pick to find a better PG than Brunson.

For comparison

Oladipo (current season)

Oh, come on. You are not trading for the current season Oladipo and he is not valued based on current season production. If we go into smaller sizes as you have, he was averaging over 20 points in the last three playoff games. If you are trading for Oladipo you are trading for him, because you are convinced he will be back to his old self. And Indy is selling at that price, not at 14 ppg price. Indy is selling, because they don't want to max him due to their cap situation. It's fine if you think he is not max player and don't want to trade for him because of that. But that doesn't change the fact, that Indy would trade him for a bunch of players that don't make them better.

Are you trying to imply Indy would see Brunson as more than a back up PG - as a substitution for Brogdon? It is even doubtful, they would see him in front of their current back up PG A.Holiday, who had even slightly better overall production than Brunson. Kleber as more as Turner? Do I need to bring in Wright and where Indy would see his value with their current point guards?
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 06:15 PM)omahen Wrote:
(08-26-2020, 05:51 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote:

For comparison

Oladipo (current season)

Oh, come on. You are not trading for the current season Oladipo and he is not valued based on current season production. If we go into smaller sizes as you have, he was averaging over 20 points in the last three playoff games. If you are trading for Oladipo you are trading for him, because you are convinced he will be back to his old self. And Indy is selling at that price, not at 14 ppg price. Indy is selling, because they don't want to max him due to their cap situation. It's fine if you think he is not max player and don't want to trade for him because of that. But that doesn't change the fact, that Indy would trade him for a bunch of players that don't make them better.

Are you trying to imply Indy would see Brunson as more than a back up PG - as a substitution for Brogdon? It is even doubtful, they would see him in front of their current back up PG A.Holiday, who had even slightly better overall production than Brunson. Kleber as more as Turner? Do I need to bring in Wright and where Indy would see his value with their current point guards?

What did they see in Oladipo and Sabonis, when they traded PG13 for them?

Clearly it´s about forward projection.

The Mavs also take a significant risk here.

If Oladipo returns to his pre-injury form, you´ll gladly pay him $20M+. What if he does not?

Are you willing to bet a big extension on it being a 15 months post-injury slump or do you walk away from the extension with nothing.

That´s just as uncertain as Brunson´s growth projection. He might just be a backup PG or he grows into a solid starter like a Jeff Teague, Malcolm Brogdon or George Hill, while still on a minimum deal for two more years.

You mentioned guys like Dinwiddie or Harris.

Dinwiddie is coming off the bench, too. He´s four years older. He makes alot more money. His Per36 numbers are hardly any better. His shooting percentages are worse. Pretty confident, Indiana would pick Brunson over Dinwiddie straight up.

Harris is very good defensively, but his bad offensive slump has been going on for two years now (42/33/80). That´s as a 3rd option with limited defensive attention.

These guys all have their risks attached.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 06:42 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: If Oladipo returns to his pre-injury form, you´ll gladly pay him $20M+. What if he does not?

As I said, if you don't see max player, you are not trading for him. But Indy is selling potential max player, not dumping salary.

You mentioned George (also expiring and wildly believed he will go to LA next season) from Indy to OKC. OKC gave up:
- Oladipo (than 25 years old), who was their second leading scorer at 15,9 points per game. I guess this beats Brunson value substantially. He also just signed a reasonable 4 year deal
- #11 pick Sabonis in his first year, than 21 (Kleber is 28 now)

George was a better player than Oladipo is now, but the haul they got for him is just not comparable to Brunson, Wright and Kleber, no matter how much you try to inflate Brunson value and potential while ignoring the simple fact that PG is the one position, Indiana has completely covered. SG starter would actually be the only position of need for Indiana with Oladipo gone. You would have to add picks for Indy to even consider this deal
Like Reply
I think we can do much better than Oladipo ...He still has a ton of holes in his game. He is probably the 3rd or 4th best player on his own team.

We need someone that has alpha mentality

I still maintain that the best fit next to Luka is Zach Lavine
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 08:49 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I think we can do much better than Oladipo ...He still has a ton of holes in his game. He is probably the 3rd or 4th best player on his own team.

You must think that Luka is going to turn into an all-NBA defender, because Lavine sure isn't.
Like Reply
(08-26-2020, 08:49 PM)Omega_Supreme Wrote: I think we can do much better than Oladipo ...He still has a ton of holes in his game. He is probably the 3rd or 4th best player on his own team.

That depends on the version of Oladipo you are refering to. Current Oladipo is a good player but nothing special. Not a reliable 2nd or 3rd option on a playoff team.
Pre injury Oladipo was a legit 1st option on a playoff team. Averaging 23/5/4 and leading the league in steals. Making the all NBA 3rd team and all defensive 1st team.
I think the recent examples of PG, Hayward and even KP showed that players need time to recover from injuries. I expect VO to improve but I am not sure if he will ever reach his former level again.
In the end gambling on injury-prone players is always a risk. Not sure if I would be willing to take it. The Mavs already have KP. If they add VO and both continue to miss games only an amnesty clause could save the Mavs.
Like Reply
I still like THJ honestly and try to upgrade elsewhere. I think what we really need is a 5th starter that is great defensively.

Luka, THJ, KP and DFS is a good start, altho even DFS is a spot where I might see if I can upgrade at some point. I love Aaron Gordon's fit next to that foursome but there are a bunch of SFs and PFs that could fit at least short term.
Like Reply