Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey]
(11-09-2020, 06:14 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: According to Jonathan Givony and what he's hearing:

1st tier is still Wiseman, Ball, Edwards

"After those three, the second tier includes Deni Avdija, Obi Toppin, Isaac Okoro, Tyrese Haliburton, Onyeka Okongwu and Patrick Williams. Those players appear likely to make up picks Nos. 4-9 in some order."

If this is how it shakes out, I'd be looking to trade anything and everything to move up for Killian Hayes.
They slandered Hayes for a solid 10 minutes with a bunch of BS. Looked it up. Ulm was not a losing team. They went 10-10 in the shortended regular season. Went 4-0 in a group stage tournament play, won their QF 2-0 before a tie and a loss in the semifinal. What a bunch of BS about them acting like his personal NBA farm team.  Shy
Like Reply
(11-09-2020, 06:57 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Ulm was not a losing team. They went 10-10 in the shortended regular season. Went 4-0 in a group stage tournament play, won their QF 2-0 before a tie and a loss in the semifinal. What a bunch of BS about them acting like his personal NBA farm team.

Ulm was also participating in EuroCup, Europe second strongest international competition. They went 1-9 in regular season and were eliminated. German league is meh compared to some other European leagues. So their statement about being a losing team was not that wrong.
Like Reply
https://empiresportsmedia.com/new-york-k...in-auburn/
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(11-09-2020, 07:37 PM)omahen Wrote:
(11-09-2020, 06:57 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: Ulm was not a losing team. They went 10-10 in the shortended regular season. Went 4-0 in a group stage tournament play, won their QF 2-0 before a tie and a loss in the semifinal. What a bunch of BS about them acting like his personal NBA farm team.

Ulm was also participating in EuroCup, Europe second strongest international competition. They went 1-9 in regular season and were eliminated. German league is meh compared to some other European leagues. So their statement about being a losing team was not that wrong.
I´m sure that´s what they were looking at. Big Grin 

They also related this to Avdija, and the relative strength of Maccabi. They have no competition in the Israeli league either and are barely doing any better than the German champions internationally in the last five years. This year Bayern Munich are clearly superior to them. Plus players coming from Germany had a lot more success in the NBA recently compared to the Dragan Benders and Gal Mekels of the world. Israel doesn´t seem a particularly strong source for NBA talent. I sure take Schroeder, Bonga, Theis, PJ Tucker and Kleber over any Israeli NBA 5. 

I got no problem with them saying that they don´t rate Hayes, but to make it about his level of opposition or that he dominated the ball is just stupid, when half the lottery has never played a real basketball game in their life and I´m sure they all dominate the ball in their highschool.
Like Reply
(11-09-2020, 06:14 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: If this is how it shakes out, I'd be looking to trade anything and everything to move up for Killian Hayes.

Very much IN on this, though I am also open to targeting Vassell if Hayes is gone at a range the Mavs can get to.
Like Reply
^ His free throw percentage and wonky reworked shot mechanics concern me.

Still wouldn't mind him with a 18+31 package but I'm not adding Maxi or Seth.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MarcJSpears/status/1...9053886465
Like Reply
(11-09-2020, 11:04 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: His free throw percentage

You are concerned by his 74% free throw percent this past year?

(11-09-2020, 06:57 PM)Mavs2019 Wrote: They slandered Hayes for a solid 10 minutes with a bunch of BS.

I was shocked that Givony and Schmitz were saying he could fall completely out of the lottery and really think 10-15 is his likely range.
Like Reply
Good reads and some projections that are way out of the normal group think...

https://theboxand1.weebly.com/draft-prof...oard-tiers
Like Reply
18. Dallas – Aleksej Pokusevski, “power” forward, Olympiakos B
Okay, let’s talk about the biggest mystery meat of the draft, because there is a lot of subterfuge to process here.
The rumor is that Pokusevski has a promise from a team in the first round, and that’s why he bailed on the draft combine. Bigger picture, that may also be why he bailed on much of his 2019-20 season, depending on when the promise came.
Adding fuel to the fire are two data points: 1) Pokusevski’s agent, Jason Ranne, used to work for the Oklahoma City Thunder, and 2) The Thunder themselves are notorious in league circles for promising their pick and having him shut down workouts and other public viewings waaaaay ahead of the draft.
I don’t think the Thunder are the only ones playing poker here, though. At the 18th pick, we have a Dallas team with a noted proclivity for swinging for the fences on high-upside international prospects. Sometimes they get Dirk Nowitzki and sometimes they get Pavel Podkolzin, but they’ll keep swinging.
So why wouldn’t the Mavs take a swing here? Instead, there are widespread rumors that Dallas is shopping the pick in search of a high-level wing.
Color me dubious. They’re going to trade this pick for a wing when they’re trying to create max cap room in 2021? They’d either nuke the cap space or end up trading a first-round pick for a rental. This feels more like a smokescreen to dissuade the teams behind them from jumping up to 17 and taking their guy.
I don’t see Pokusevski making it all the way to the Thunder at 25 in either case, which means Oklahoma City may need to use its surfeit of future 1sts to move up. Regardless of which team lands Pokusevski, I think he goes in the mid-to-late teens, possibly as high as 14 to Boston.

https://theathletic.com/2188482/2020/11/...rst-round/

This is good news? that we keep the pick and heart burn for some if it is this pick. Smile
Like Reply
"According to sources, the broad-shouldered 250-pounder Isaiah Stewart has emerged as a strong candidate for the Knicks at No. 27 in the Nov. 18 draft, partly because the 19-year-old is likely to be there."

Also Berman says: "The Knicks also have the eighth pick and probably will take a wing or point guard with that lottery selection. If the Knicks take a wing, GM Scott Perry may feel compelled to snare a point guard at 27 — with Frenchman Theo Maledon high on their list. "
Like Reply
(11-10-2020, 08:01 AM)Hypermav Wrote: 18. Dallas – Aleksej Pokusevski, “power” forward, Olympiakos B

Color me dubious. They’re going to trade this pick for a wing when they’re trying to create max cap room in 2021? They’d either nuke the cap space or end up trading a first-round pick for a rental. This feels more like a smokescreen to dissuade the teams behind them from jumping up to 17 and taking their guy.

https://theathletic.com/2188482/2020/11/...rst-round/

I was just about to post this.  I have no idea whether he will be a good pro some day.  But, I do know a stash opportunity when I see one.

With due respect to Killer, this would preserve "Powder".  BTW, there is such thing as planning for Powder.  Just go back to the Giannis draft and the trade down to save $400k in order to fully fund a max offer.  Just because we signed some guys last summer (oh, two "summers" ago actually) doesn't mean we weren't planning for Powder.  It isn't about what you do with the first $78mm, it is what you do with the dollars above that.  If you are making moves to preserve cap space above $78mm (assumes $112mm cap and $33.7mm max offer) then you are absolutely planning for Powder.

BTW, I do love your posts, so not trying to run you off.  But, facts is facts.
Like Reply
Maybe we are messing with OKC via Hollinger for some trade opportunities.  One can hope.  

Maybe Donnie "smokescreen" Nelson is not all that trusted by Hollinger.  (referencing the story where his reputation is on par with Ainge)
Like Reply
(11-10-2020, 08:40 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I was just about to post this.  I have no idea whether he will be a good pro some day.  But, I do know a stash opportunity when I see one.

With due respect to Killer, this would preserve "Powder".  BTW, there is such thing as planning for Powder.  Just go back to the Giannis draft and the trade down to save $400k in order to fully fund a max offer.  Just because we signed some guys last summer (oh, two "summers" ago actually) doesn't mean we weren't planning for Powder.  It isn't about what you do with the first $78mm, it is what you do with the dollars above that.  If you are making moves to preserve cap space above $78mm (assumes $112mm cap and $33.7mm max offer) then you are absolutely planning for Powder.

Stashing a pick and not bringing in any reinforcements would be a disaster waiting to happen imho. One a bit more serious injury to Luka or KP and Mavs could waive the playoffs goodbye. I would really be dissapointed with such an offseason.
Like Reply
(11-10-2020, 09:34 AM)omahen Wrote:
(11-10-2020, 08:40 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: I was just about to post this.  I have no idea whether he will be a good pro some day.  But, I do know a stash opportunity when I see one.

Stashing a pick and not bringing in any reinforcements would be a disaster waiting to happen imho. One a bit more serious injury to Luka or KP and Mavs could waive the playoffs goodbye. I would really be dissapointed with such an offseason.

No one said anything about not bringing in reinforcements in such a scenario.  Wright would presumably bring back an NBA player (they would just have a shorter contract).  And, this may be the best year ever to get quality for the MLE on a one year basis.

If we are counting on much from anyone taken at 18, then we are just dreaming.
Like Reply
(11-10-2020, 09:43 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: If we are counting on much from anyone taken at 18, then we are just dreaming.

My personal preference would be to trade the pick anyway. But if not, I still prefer someone who is ready to play minutes now than someone who might be ready to play minutes in 2 years. 

Perhaps I am too subjective, because I just don't see Poku as anything special. He is too far away for my taste and comfort, based on the information available.

(11-10-2020, 09:43 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Wright would presumably bring back an NBA player

that would be a meh player imho. Shorter contract usually means worse player.

Here is a poor mans idea. It doesn't really help our flexibility, but improves our rotation. 

Wright+Jackson+#31 for Exum and Osman.

Cleveland saves a little bit of money and gets a pick. Osman is a solid rotation wing on a decent contract. I was really impressed with Exums defense 3 years ago against Houston, but he just can't stay healthy. Will he be able to put it together once? Or perhaps it was just a couple of good games by chance, because his stats don't really prove he is a good defender? Showed some promise from 3 last season.
Like Reply
(11-10-2020, 08:40 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: With due respect to Killer, this would preserve "Powder".  BTW, there is such thing as planning for Powder.  Just go back to the Giannis draft and the trade down to save $400k in order to fully fund a max offer.  Just because we signed some guys last summer (oh, two "summers" ago actually) doesn't mean we weren't planning for Powder.  It isn't about what you do with the first $78mm, it is what you do with the dollars above that.  If you are making moves to preserve cap space above $78mm (assumes $112mm cap and $33.7mm max offer) then you are absolutely planning for Powder.

BTW, I do love your posts, so not trying to run you off.  But, facts is facts.

When you use Fish's stupid term for the Mavs going into FA with NOTHING, looking for a star with whom to start from scratch, you make people FEEL the way they did at that time. That creates a negative reaction that's unnecessary and slightly involuntary, imo. People associate it with wasted time, when the reality is that Juwon Howard --> Van Exe/Lafrentzl --> Jamison/Walker --> Stackhouse --> Butler/Haywood, etc...THAT is how you're GUARANTEED to waste time. An entire all-time great's career, actually. 

That "plan powder" era strategy isn't all that related to what they're doing these days. I'm surprised you don't see the distinction. Yes, they're planning to use cap space (thank God), but they literally can't strike out in this scenario. It's just smart team building, this time. Forget Giannis...I am 100% sure that the space will be used for something with which we'll be happy. 

It's a dumb, clickbait phrase. A relic of a past era. Fake news, not facts. But you do you, my dude.
Like Reply
Speaking of fish, i went to his twitter and saw nothing but Cowboy articles. lol

People still watch that shi show on Sundays? The Jets play better than them.
Like Reply
(11-10-2020, 08:01 AM)Hypermav Wrote: 18. Dallas – Aleksej Pokusevski, “power” forward, Olympiakos B
Okay, let’s talk about the biggest mystery meat of the draft, because there is a lot of subterfuge to process here.
The rumor is that Pokusevski has a promise from a team in the first round, and that’s why he bailed on the draft combine.
So why wouldn’t the Mavs take a swing here? Instead, there are widespread rumors that Dallas is shopping the pick in search of a high-level wing.
I don’t see Pokusevski making it all the way to the Thunder at 25 in either case, which means Oklahoma City may need to use its surfeit of future 1sts to move up.  Smile
Haha we are getting CP3, Gallinari and #25 for THJ, Powell, Wright, Jackson and #18. Then we send Maxi to Boston for #14, pick Pokusevski there and he becomes the next Giannis. Big Grin
Like Reply
Would anyone do #18/whatever makes it cap legal for #25/Schroeder?
Like Reply