Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
DRAFT: #18 [Green] & #31 [Terry] & trade for #36 [Tyler Bey]
Rainbow 
My (@"aguiar95") 2020 Dallas Mavericks NBA Draft Big Board 3.0:

I'll do the last one close to the draft when more information are shared.

Tier I: Superstar. Trade anything but Luka to get this guy. Potential 1st/2nd best player on our championship team.

- No one.

Tier II: All-Stars in Dallas. Trade anything but Luka/KP to get this guy. Potential 2nd/3rd best player on our championship team.

- No one.

Tier III: Trade-up for a future starter in Dallas. Trade anything but our core-6 to get this guy if he falls to #9 or lower. Potential 3rd/4th/5th best player on our championship team. 

1) D. Vassell (Elite defender that can hit from outside, one of the best 3&D prospects in years)
2) T. Haliburton (PnR player with great defensive instincts)

Tier IV: Stay put for a Future role player in Dallas. Wouldn’t trade up for them. If they reach #18, we draft them. Potential 5th/6th best player on our championship team.

3) R.J. Hampton (homeboy like Trey Burke on steroids, highest ceiling of the guys available)
4) P. Achiuwa (switchability 1-5, anchor of the best defense in the country)
5) S. Bey (Elite C&S with fundamentals and versatility on defense)
6) K. Lewis Jr. (great PnR offense, shooter and as quick as it gets in this class)
7) J. Smith (modern big, shoot switch and protect)

Use #18 to get an upgrade on the roster. Guys beyond this we pick only if we can’t find a good deal to improve our roster.

8) J. Green (good C&S paired with great on-ball defense) 
9) T. Maledon (killer PnR hostage, good 3rd guy potential) 
10) T. Terry (elite 3-pt shooting)

Tier V: Rotation players. Wouldn’t draft them at #18 unless all options above are gone. If they reach #31 (or we trade #18 down), we draft them. Potential 6th/7th/8th best player on our championship team

11) T. Bey (vertical, post defender, lob thread, sb5 if needed)
12) N. Mannion (playmaker and shooter with elite vision)
13) L. Bolmaro (Stash, we have Madrid/Betis guys, complete with a Barcelona kid that can make plays and defend)
14) K. Tillie (best pick-and-pop guy in the draft, ready to contribute, have to pass medicals)
15) I. Quickley (FT hunter, PoA defense, 6”3 with 6”8 wingspan)

Use #31 to dump Jackson/Wright. Don’t think anyone besides this is going to have a major impact here, so we’re better off clearing some money. 

Tier VI: Rotation substitute players. Wouldn’t draft them at #31, but are worth keeping an eye for a possible trade-down/undrafted/two-way scenario (all have interesting skillsets that match what we want). Possible 8th/9th/10th best player on our championship team.

16) I. Joe (Top C&S on the draft, not bad on D)
17) M. Diakite (Everything we want on defense for a PF help/post/switch with 3-pt range)
18) M. Simonovic. (Balkan boy to pick-and-pop/roll man)

Time to revise my (@"Scott41theMavs") draft board in response to Kamm's way-too-conservative one...

Do not want for the Mavs, but they'll push the guys I do want down:
1) Ball
2) Edwards
3) Toppin
4) Wiseman

Trade-up Targets (if they slip to #10 or lower). Offer Brunson, 18, and 31. 
5) Okongwu
6) Vassell
7) Haliburton
8) Avdija
9) Okoro

Trade-up targets (if they slip to 12 or lower) 18 + 31 packaged
All of the above, plus
10) S. Bey
11) Smith
12) Terry
13) Nesmith - the big addition. If Kamm trusts that he might become worth a damn at defense, he deserves to be here.
14) Achiuwa
15) Hayes

Draft at #18 Targets. Wouldn’t trade up for them. If they reach #18, we draft them.
All of the above, plus
16) Hampton
17) Green
18) Reed (if I'm the Mavs and he's the best of these 18 available, I either reach for him here or trade down for him, as the next three guys should have strong value)

The pass on Reed, buy another pick for him, and take one of these guys instead if Donnie wants to take a flyer on this guy or simply build value crew:
19) Maxey
20) Lewis
21) Anthony

Trade for/Buy a later first Targets. Wouldn’t draft them at #18. Cuban said he was a buyer. Time for him to prove it.
All of the above if available, plus
22) Tiger
23) Williams
24) Woodard
25) Bane
26) Bolmaro

Draft at #31 (or another 2nd round pick) Targets. Wouldn’t trade up for them. If they reach #31, we draft them.
Any of the above, plus
27) Ramsay
28) Aleksej
29) Alexander

Draft using a traded-for additional second:
30) Riller
31) Flynn
32) Scrubb
33) Hughes
34) Joe

My (@"Kammrath") FINAL Mavs-centric draft board (meaning I am listing the guys I think are a good fit in the organization and possible to get in the right situation).

I have 9 guys I am grading as first rounders for the Mavs to try to get (3 as trade-up targets and 6 as #18 targets) and then I have 6 guys I am grading for the 2nd round. 

Trade-up Targets

1) Killian Hayes -- 19.3 years -- 6'5" | 6'8" wingspan
  • is one of the potential stars in this draft IMO...already pretty dominant while having no right hand to speak of and being terrible in catch and shoot situations (0.67 PPP)...with improvement in those two areas I think he would be the 3rd star the Mavs need
  • good off the dribble (0.99 PPP) and around the rim in the half court (1.25 PPP)
  • when he is locked-in he is a very good on-ball and off-ball defender 
[Image: killian-hayes-shot-chart-1024x799.jpg]

2) Devin Vassell -- 20.2 years -- 6'7" | 6'10" wingspan *UNOFFICIAL*
  • is the exact wing defender the Mavs need in the starting lineup with a great three ball
  • elite in catch and shoot (1.22 PPP) and transition (1.41 PPP)
  • great on-ball defender (0.50 PPP)
[Image: devin-vassell-shot-chart-1024x799.jpg]

3) Tyrese Haliburton -- 20.7 years -- 6'5" | 6'7.5" wingspan *UNOFFICIAL*
  • great potential to be 3rd banana/2nd creator and great defender but more of a role-player than star
  • elite in spot up (1.43 PPP) and catch and shoot (1.49 PPP)
  • great on-ball defender (0.50 PPP)
[Image: tyrese-haliburton-shot-chart-1024x798.jpg]

Draft at #18 Targets

4) R.J. Hampton -- 19.8 years -- 6'5" | 6'7" wingspan *UNOFFICIAL*
  • if his shooting improvement is legit...TAKE all day, one of the highest ceilings in the draft
  • probably the fastest player in the draft
  • can get to the rim at will in basically any situation, something most guys can not do, but needs to improve finishing at the rim a whole lot

5) Tyler Bey -- 22.8 years -- 6'6", 6'7" w/ shoes | 7'1.5" wingspan
  • athletic wing prospect who can be a small ball big as well, the kind of versatile player that can bring team defense together
  • great around the rim (1.33 PPP) and good at spot up (1.02 PPP) and elite mid-range jump shot (1.14 PPP)
  • solid post defender (0.82 PPP) and great one-on-one on the perimeter (0.48 PPP)
[Image: tyler-bey-shot-chart-1024x799.jpg]

6) Theo Maledon -- 19.4 years -- 6'4", 6'5" w/ shoes | 6'8.75" wingspan
  • young player that played in the EuroLeague with a hurt shooting shoulder and showed flashes of great potential as a creator, shooter, and defender
  • good at the rim (1.23 PPP), at spot up (1.0 PPP), and pick and roll (0.87 PPP)
  • promising defender with lots of potential for growth to guard 1-3
[Image: theo-maledon-shot-chart-1024x799.jpg]

7) Saddiq Bey -- 21.6 years -- 6'8" | 6'10" wingspan *UNOFFICIAL*
  • great 3&D player, but his lack of athleticism, explosiveness, and lateral quickness in game film is concerning
  • elite in transition (1.39 PPP) and in spot up (1.31 PPP) and great in pick and roll (0.94 PPP)
  • great one-on-one defender (0.56 PPP)
[Image: saddiq-bey-shot-chart-1024x799.jpg]

8) Aaron Nesmith -- 21.1 years -- 6'6" | 6'10" wingspan *UNOFFICIAL*
  • his shooting numbers are just insane (relatively small sample size though) and he shows enough potential as a defender to intrigue me
  • elite at spot up (1.23 PPP), catch and shoot (1.64 PPP), and off screens (0.93 PPP) and good off dribble (0.92 PPP)
  • solid defender one-on-one (0.71)

[Image: aaron-nesmith-shot-chart-1024x799.jpg]

9) Precious Achiuwa -- 21.2 years -- 6'7.5, "6'8.75" w/ shoes | 7'0.75" wingspan
  • all the athletic tools and with the right development has the potential to be the exact kind of big the Mavs need with the ability to rim roll and defend 1-5 on the switch
  • good on-ball defender (0.61 PPP)
[Image: precious-achiuwa-shot-chart-1024x799.jpg]

Draft at #31 (or another 2nd round pick) Targets 

10) Leandro Bolmaro -- 20.2 years -- 6'7" | 6'8" wingspan *UNOFFICIAL*
  • unselfish player who can facilitate when needed
  • shot shows promise but needs lots of work
  • great, hard nosed, and competitive defender

11) Abdoulaye N'Doye -- 22.7 years -- 6'7" | 7'2.5" wingspan *UNOFFICIAL*
  • elite catch and shoot (1.63 PPP) and around the rim (1.45 PPP)
  • good defender with versatility, even a solid defender in the post (0.82 PPP)

12) Robert Woodard II -- 21.1 years -- 6'5.5", 6'7" w/ shoes | 7'2" wingspan
  • great around the rim (1.29 PPP) and at good catch and shoot (1.08 PPP)
  • good one-on-one defender (0.62 PPP) who gave up only 32.3% on all FG attempts

13) Immanuel Quickley -- 21.4 years -- 6'2", 6'3" w/ shoes | 6'8.25" wingspan
  • great at spot up (1.08 PPP), pick and roll (0.91), and with the floater (0.94 PPP) and elite off the dribble (1.38 PPP)
  • great one-on-one defender (0.48 PPP)

14) Ty-Shon Alexander -- 22.4 years -- 6'2", 6'4" w/ shoes | 6'8" wingspan
  • 40% three point shooter who is better off-ball
  • elite overall defender (opponents shot 30.3%, 0.62 PPP)

15) Paul Reed -- 21.4 years -- 6'8", 6'9.25" w/shoes | 7'2" wingspan
  • great around the rim (1.29 PPP)
  • good post defender (0.78 PPP) and one-on-one (0.55 PPP)
Like Reply
As of now we'd have three draft selections in next June's draft:

- DAL 1st ==> could be anywhere from #12-22 depending on how the rest of our season goes

- GS 2nd ==> will be super high in the 2nd round, might land us #31/32/33. Golden State owns its 1st rounder so they have plenty incentive to keep on being awful even once their injury troubles decrease a bit

- UTA 2nd ==> will most likely be a mid to late 2nd.

Even without our own 1st rounder being a lottery selection that would give us some room to operate.

One fun name around #20: Arturs Zagars. Crafty, 6'3 PG from Latvia who turns 20 in April 2020 and is currently projected on some draft sites to go around #20. I'm sure his name will come up in plenty of Mavs-related draft articles solely due to him being a PG and coming from Latvia.
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 10:23 AM)JamesConway Wrote: One fun name around #20: Arturs Zagars. Crafty, 6'3 PG from Latvia who turns 20 in April 2020 and is currently projected on some draft sites to go around #20. I'm sure his name will come up in plenty of Mavs-related draft articles solely due to him being a PG and coming from Latvia.

Let's trade for CP3 without giving up any of our guards then draft this guy!
Like Reply
We need to keep our 1st rounder, no more trading them away like candy. Hitting on a rotation level player on a rookie contract is incredibly beneficial. 

IMO, the next player we draft needs to be 6'6 in height, 6'9 wingspan at minimum.
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 12:42 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: We need to keep our 1st rounder, no more trading them away like candy. Hitting on a rotation level player on a rookie contract is incredibly beneficial. 

IMO, the next player we draft needs to be 6'6 in height, 6'9 wingspan at minimum.
Defensive bruiser
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 12:42 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: We need to keep our 1st rounder, no more trading them away like candy. Hitting on a rotation level player on a rookie contract is incredibly beneficial. 

I agree we don't need to throw them away, but I'm certainly open to trading for a solid starter on a multi year deal. 
Hopefully that GS 2nd round pick stays where it is currently. In a lot of ways the 31st pick is more valuable than something in the late 20s. Just more flexibility on contract size and length plus easier to stash the player. 
So it'd be cool if we could trade that for someone useful at the deadline
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/ericgrgallo/status/1...59456?s=20

And Killian Hayes looks like a highly interesting prospect. Holy smokes. Tankathon has him around 15, but I can't see him be available there. Plays in the german league this season after last year's stint in the french league. Dude is a long, crafty and very athletic PG/SG-type from France.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Tv_mpvUIGo
Like Reply
Spent quit some time reading scouting reports and mock drafts in the last few years but won´t do the same this year.
Feels good to be out of the lottery. The future of the franchise doesn´t depend on ping pong balls anymore.
Like Reply
Was super high on Brandon Clarke and mentioned him on the old forum when he was falling.  I don't think I even heard of Eric Paschall until 10 days ago so not going to pretend like I did.
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 06:30 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: Was super high on Brandon Clarke and mentioned him on the old forum when he was falling.  I don't think I even heard of Eric Paschall until 10 days ago so not going to pretend like I did.

I love my zags, been a hf way fan since ellias Harris played there.

Loved Kevin Pangos and David Stockton. I'm sad the Mavs traded Olynik.
Like Reply
Thanks!  I was waiting for this thread to show up and didn't feel like I was worthy (yet) to create it.

The tank season was funnily one of the very exciting for me.  I was already a Luka fan back when he was in the Euroleague so I spent that whole NBA season ignoring the Warriors-Cavs noise, watching and simulating Tankathon, and quietly hoping we'd land Luka. Big Grin . Of course, and lurking in the old forums to learn about the other prospects.  At one point I was resigned we'd end up with Bamba.

The draft day trade was an unbelievable high.
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 08:01 PM)radioaktiv Wrote: Thanks!  I was waiting for this thread to show up and didn't feel like I was worthy (yet) to create it.

The tank season was funnily one of the very exciting for me.  I was already a Luka fan back when he was in the Euroleague so I spent that whole NBA season ignoring the Warriors-Cavs noise, watching and simulating Tankathon, and quietly hoping we'd land Luka. Big Grin . Of course, and lurking in the old forums to learn about the other prospects.  At one point I was resigned we'd end up with Bamba.

If we had gotten the #1 pick, Donnie said he would have picked Ayton. I wonder if he would have traded down to get Luka and we'd have an Atl or Sac pick or two and still had our man?
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 08:16 PM)ItsGoTime Wrote:
(11-19-2019, 08:01 PM)radioaktiv Wrote: Thanks!  I was waiting for this thread to show up and didn't feel like I was worthy (yet) to create it.

If we had gotten the #1 pick, Donnie said he would have picked Ayton. I wonder if he would have traded down to get Luka and we'd have an Atl or Sac pick or two and still had our man?

I don't think he was telling the truth. I think he said things like "of course everyone has Ayton number one..." because he didn't want Luka's stock to rise.
Like Reply
(11-19-2019, 08:48 PM)fifteenth Wrote: I don't think he was telling the truth. I think he said things like "of course everyone has Ayton number one..." because he didn't want Luka's stock to rise.
Maybe, but don't you take his words at face value much of the time? Everyone had Ayton at #1, if he was as high on Luka then if he had gotten the #1, he would have traded it then.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/...9527737344
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
(12-02-2019, 06:30 PM)ClutchDirk Wrote: Maybe, but don't you take his words at face value much of the time? Everyone had Ayton at #1, if he was as high on Luka then if he had gotten the #1, he would have traded it then.

No, I often don't take Donnie's words at face value. Donnie GMs like his Daddy plays poker, with his cards close to his chest.
Like Reply
Pokusevski ==> #27 via tankathon right now. Kid is not even 18 yet. 7 footer, 7'3 wingspan but plays like a wing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di85qVuVOYQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1HpAA70U7s

Next Porzingis?

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
With our 1st pick this year should we trade it for a starter, go with Best Player Available or a fit on our roster (3&D wing/Bruiser big)? I'm hearing this draft is not that deep.
Like Reply
(12-18-2019, 10:31 AM)JamesConway Wrote: Next Porzingis?

He has far to go. Only averaging like 10 points in U18 competition. He is listed at 91 kg (180 pounds) only, so he needs at least 40 pounds on muscle on top of that.
Like Reply
(01-07-2020, 09:11 AM)aguiar95 Wrote: With our 1st pick this year should we trade it for a starter, go with Best Player Available or a fit on our roster (3&D wing/Bruiser big)? I'm hearing this draft is not that deep.

Really depends on what other trades we pull off.
I would absolutely pick a starter this summer or even just a top rotation guy over someone who probably wont see the floor anytime soon. 
So much quality depth already 
We already have to figure out what to do with Roby and Reaves. Just a couple years ago those guys would be in the rotation developing. Hell that even goes for Brunson to an extent. He may end up falling out of the rotation in the playoffs 

So the options i see see are either you pick the veteran depth or the super young depth. I'm really fine with either as long as the top tier starters are good enough. 
I love what Curry, Wright, and Maxi all bring but for the right long term starter I'm sending those dudes out
Like Reply