Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TRADE: McCollum+Nance+Snell to NOP | Hart+Sato+Walker-Alex+Louzada+1st+2 2nds to POR
Would be nice to see the Mavs grab Hart from the Blazers.  I see we had no chance to get McCollum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Nowitzki Way's post:
  • Fuerza1
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/hoopshype/status/149...3991498764
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/AnilGognaNBA/status/...1247039489
Like Reply
(02-08-2022, 11:48 AM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: I don´t think CJ had any real value. Agree that they messed up the Nance part. Not to mention the RoCo + Powell trade last week. They gave up first round picks for those guys just a year ago. Now they are selling them for pennies on the dollar. Textbook example for bad asset management.

I will say this kind of sets the value for any KP trade since him and McCollum were pretty close in value. 

KP+Maxi= Expirings, maybe a prospect, a 1st+multiple 2nds. 

Translating that to other teams, maybe CHA will see KP as gettable versus Sabonis.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
(02-08-2022, 11:52 AM)SleepingHero Wrote: I will say this kind of sets the value for any KP trade since him and McCollum were pretty close in value. 

KP+Maxi= Expirings, maybe a prospect, a 1st+multiple 2nds. 

Translating that to other teams, maybe CHA will see KP as gettable versus Sabonis.

Portland made that trade with Cap Space/ draft picks in mind.  Mavs would be doing this looking for ready made talent. If we found teams interested in KP, i hope we could extract a better haul than Hart, Satoransky, and future picks.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nowitzki Way's post:
  • ItsGoTime, mvossman
Like Reply
(02-08-2022, 11:57 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Portland made that trade with Cap Space/ draft picks in mind.  Mavs would be doing this looking for ready made talent. If we found teams interested in KP, i hope we could extract a better haul than Hart, Satoransky, and future picks.

Oh I agree. Just trying to establish what the going rate of KP+Maxi would theoretically be. It's worth at least a 1st and some prospects. 

Trying to translate that, perhaps the Mavs could find a way to get Myles Turner and/or Collins with just a KP+Maxi trade since their value should be around the same.

https://twitter.com/jwquick/status/14910...02241?s=20&t=9AA7FyGN2dGw0RivuUuTsA

I will say if there was a way to re-route Hart over here I'm game.
14x All-Star, 12x all-NBA, 1x MVP, 1x Finals MVP, 1 NBA Championship: Dirk Nowitzki, the man, the myth, the legend.
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/BobbyMarks42/status/...0212028416
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/jkubatko/status/1491097414698250241
Like Reply
(02-08-2022, 12:13 PM)Kammrath Wrote: https://twitter.com/jkubatko/status/1491097414698250241

RIP
Like Reply
(02-08-2022, 11:57 AM)Nowitzki Way Wrote: Portland made that trade with Cap Space/ draft picks in mind.  Mavs would be doing this looking for ready made talent. If we found teams interested in KP, i hope we could extract a better haul than Hart, Satoransky, and future picks.
Yes, so now the idea is, what is the on court player value equivalent to Hart, Sato, 2 lesser prospects, a highly protected first (has to be 5-14 to convey, however, it does change to a future first, so there's that) and 2 seconds all rolled up into 1 or 2 players, since Nance and Snell were literally used for roster and cap space (feels cheap for Nance).

Gotta think that isn't in the ballpark of Collins AND Holmes/Turner return. Maybe Collins alone is close, Turner and something (not a high end something), Holmes and something (higher end something).

Is Avdija AND Rui with expiring filler what we should hope for?
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/HPbasketball/status/...0566048769
Like Reply
(02-08-2022, 10:41 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: Are we really sure they are not trading Lillard, too?

Bad front office like the Mavs.  They'll try to lure a "star" this offseason like we did with an aging Dirk.  No one wants to go play in Portland.
Like Reply
(02-08-2022, 03:10 PM)SatnamSingh Wrote: Bad front office like the Mavs.  They'll try to lure a "star" this offseason like we did with an aging Dirk.  No one wants to go play in Portland.

They might have out-MBT'ed the MBT with what they returned they turned Trent Jr. into and now the CJ compensation.
Like Reply
Too bad.  I was really sort of hoping the Mavs could get Nance. Talent wise, this is a crazy, one sided deal.
Like Reply
(02-08-2022, 03:20 PM)cow Wrote: They might have out-MBT'ed the MBT with what they returned they turned Trent Jr. into and now the CJ compensation.

Below is Hollinger's take on Portland cleaning house.  New GM not the same as the old GM and has undone almost everything Olshey did in the last few years.  Do we know any other teams that recently changed out GM's?  Obviously Cuban is still here, but undoing the KP deal and trading away THJ would be quite the "Donnie doesn't live here any more" move.

Portland gets a do-over on late Olshey era

Sending out McCollum, Nance and Snell four days after trading Robert Covington and Norman Powell, the Blazers essentially undid all of former general manager Neil Olshey’s moves over the past three seasons, with the exception of drafting Anfernee Simons. (He’ll be staying, thanks.)

This isn’t the place for a longer exposition on Olshey’s career track record, which contained some great hits and some oops misses just like nearly anyone’s with an extended tenure. The larger point is that the Blazers in recent years kept digging themselves into a deeper hole with older, more expensive players and fewer draft picks, and it culminated this season in a team that was both quite average and quite old.

The original sin was the eye-popping extension for McCollum. From there, the Blazers kept digging themselves into bigger salary-cap holes with each successive move. Two firsts and Trevor Ariza turned into Covington, a failed signing of Derrick Jones Jr. turned into Nance and cost another first and a genuinely great draft pick (Gary Trent Jr.) begat a five-year deal for Powell.

Just like that, it’s all undone. The Blazers dropped off underperforming deals on Nance, Covington and McCollum, got out of the luxury tax, added a likely lottery pick, three seconds and a 20-year-old 2021 first-rounder, have a $21 million trade exception, added a legitimately good player on a decent contract in Hart and didn’t have to take back any dead money or bad contracts.
[-] The following 3 users Like DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • ItsGoTime, Kammrath, KillerLeft
Like Reply
(02-09-2022, 07:45 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: undoing the KP deal and trading away THJ would be quite the "Donnie doesn't live here any more" move.

This would be "I told you I am in charge move" Smile But as we know, it was Harrison that signed THJ, so I am not optimistic at all.
Like Reply
(02-09-2022, 08:22 AM)omahen Wrote: This would be "I told you I am in charge move" Smile But as we know, it was Harrison that signed THJ, so I am not optimistic at all.

Resigning THJ was just good asset management. They got him at a relatively cheaper rate than what other teams got 2-guards that had similar stats/impact (Looking at you Evan "Don't Google Me"). His contract is descending which means it'll still be an asset even if THJ underperforms. 

Trading KP though would be a giant change in philosophy compared to Donnie. I'd be shocked if he did it. Moreso cause Cuban is in love with KP.
Like Reply
(02-09-2022, 08:22 AM)omahen Wrote: But as we know, it was Harrison that signed THJ, so I am not optimistic at all.

Nico was hired on 6/25.  I’m not sure we can put any of what happened this summer on him.  He barely knew where to find the office supplies and was still doing HR mandate videos by the time free agency opened a month later.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DanSchwartzgan's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
(02-09-2022, 08:33 AM)DanSchwartzgan Wrote: Nico was hired on 6/25.  I’m not sure we can put any of what happened this summer on him.  He barely knew where to find the office supplies and was still doing HR mandate videos by the time free agency opened a month later.

I can't accept such excuses.  Everyone knew it was crucial offseason for Mavs. He knew what he was signing for and what is his job. If he is not capable to do it, it is on the one who hired him. This is exactly why many advocated Mavs should hire someone who would be able to execute immediately.

And even if we accept all of the above, wouldn't it be smarter to leave youirself flexibility moving forward instead of locking yourself into big long term contract (next to other big long term contracts) with a team that realistically isn't strong enough to contend. I know it is very easy to be smart from far away, but these are people that are paid millions to do their job.
Like Reply
(02-09-2022, 08:40 AM)omahen Wrote: I can't accept such excuses.  Everyone knew it was crucial offseason for Mavs. He knew what he was signing for and what is his job. If he is not capable to do it, it is on the one who hired him.  

And even if we accept all of the above, wouldn't it be smarter to leave youirself flexibility moving forward instead of locking yourself into big long term contract (next to other big long term contracts) with a team that realistically isn't strong enough to contend. I know it is very easy to be smart from far away, but these are people that are paid millions to do their job.

We all know who pulls the strings.  It isn't the least bit reasonable to hold a novice who had been on the job a month responsible for things that Cuban, Finley et al were doing.  And I'll let you explain to Luka why we decided to let Hardaway walk and not fill the spot because we were prioritizing flexibility for our newbie GM over winning.
Like Reply