Poll: What to do with Justin?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Crucial Trade Sweetener
33.33%
7 33.33%
Should start
47.62%
10 47.62%
Keep him benched
19.05%
4 19.05%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Justin Jackson Hype Train! All Things Justin
(11-11-2019, 06:24 PM)jesusshuttlesworth82 Wrote: I think he's a guy that's ok taking open 3s.  Other than that, he has too many limitations.  Any talk of him being a "3rd option" is preposterous to me.
He as best floater in game and runs tbe floor better than any Mav

Jackson is a better basketball player than Hardaway, the best part about his offensive game his he does not force shots and let's the game come to him.

He needs more minutes but that won't happen with RC in charge
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 11:05 PM)bartlettbear Wrote: the best part about his offensive game his he does not force shots and let's the game come to him.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Like Reply
Some flawed logic in this thread.

Jackson is playing efficiently in his limited role ... so now folks want to change his role? 

Question for those who want to start Jackson: Do you think he should start over Porzingis, Kleber or Powell?

Because Jackson's role off the bench (you know, the one he's excelling at) is a small-ball four.
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 10:11 AM)vfromlmf Wrote: Some flawed logic in this thread.

Jackson is playing efficiently in his limited role ... so now folks want to change his role? 

Question for those who want to start Jackson: Do you think he should start over Porzingis, Kleber or Powell?

Because Jackson's role off the bench (you know, the one he's excelling at) is a small-ball four.

He played well in his role as SF starter last season. I would think starting Jackson at the 3, KP ad 4 and Kleber at 5 would work out after some feel out games. Just because he's doing well in the role he's in currently doesn't mean it won't translate in a bigger role. Maybe he'll get less touches since he'd be playing with Luka/KP more, but he's proving to do well with limited touches as is.
Like Reply
Personally, I feel like Jackson and Brunson should be playing 28-30 mins per night; they're our 2 youngest players besides Luka with plenty of room for improvement. 

But Carlisle has made 27 year old, career chuckfest artist THJ the third scoring option and 29 year old Seth "Starter" Curry the starter. I don't see how you can get away with that in the Western conference, that won't be a playoff team if things remain the same. 

With Jackson/Brunson though, there's some upside still, and they can elevate their games once they establish more chemistry and confidence in steadier roles. But we know how Carlisle operates, it won't happen. 

Ride the vets baby.
Like Reply
1.55 ppp in transition
Like Reply
(11-12-2019, 12:49 PM)Fuerza1 Wrote: Personally, I feel like Jackson and Brunson should be playing 28-30 mins per night; they're our 2 youngest players besides Luka with plenty of room for improvement.

But Carlisle has made 27 year old, career chuckfest artist THJ the third scoring option and 29 year old Seth "Starter" Curry the starter. I don't see how you can get away with that in the Western conference, that won't be a playoff team if things remain the same.

With Jackson/Brunson though, there's some upside still, and they can elevate their games once they establish more chemistry and confidence in steadier roles. But we know how Carlisle operates, it won't happen.

Ride the vets baby.

Sadly, in the high likelihood that we make an in-season trade, Justin and Brunson - both of whom I like quite a bit - are likely to be the throw-ins to make it worth the other team's while to take on THJ.
Like Reply
Puuuush

What can be is role going forward?
Like Reply
I really like Jackson but I feel like he's the most overrated guy in this forum these days.  Love his floater game and occasional 3s, but his blown layups drive me nuts and it's not like he's being a big factor in defense either.  IMHO he's right where he should be in the rotation until he can develop more.
Like Reply
Tbe lack of minutes for him is absurd a team that wants to shoot 40 threes a game does not play it's best three point shooter.

Jackson is also the only legit offensive SF Mavs on roster.

He is a better fit than DFS in the starting unit.
Like Reply
(11-27-2019, 10:22 PM)radioaktiv Wrote: I really like Jackson but I feel like he's the most overrated guy in this forum these days.  Love his floater game and occasional 3s, but his blown layups drive me nuts and it's not like he's being a big factor in defense either.  IMHO he's right where he should be in the rotation until he can develop more.

I absolutely love his floater game and ability to shoot 3s as well! However like you said he's always blowing important layups. Just a part of his game he needs to work on and hes young so there is plenty of time.

The only place we are different in opinions here is I think he needs more minutes. I'd definitely love to see him getting more of THJ's minutes. If RC thinks he can get THJ going enough to get his stock up for a trade then we have to ride it out and complain about guys who aren't getting as much burn for the good of the future of the team I guess...
Like Reply
Justin Jumper
Like Reply
https://twitter.com/MFollowill/status/12...3742799873
Josh Green is a top 5 Mavs player...
Like Reply
After reading some Laker forums, several posters wanted JJ over Danny Green.  Pretty sure Danny Green would start here.  Go figure, grass is always greener.
Like Reply
What are his limitations again? He produces basically every minute he is on the court and shoots lights out. He isn't a great rebounder or defender, but he isn't bad at either of those either. I mean, the guy is shooting 47% from three! That type of 3 pt% certainly puts any chance of Broek getting minutes to rest.
Like Reply
JJ can become the 3rd best on this current team if given enough minutes to play along Luka and KP. I have no doubts about that. DFS is better on the defensive end, which might be a better fit depending on the opponent. JJ brings far more on offense and its not even close. Better 3 point shooting and far better game in the paint and driving, his floaters are so great. He is not necessary high bbIQ player and that sets his limit, he will not turn into a star, but he can become much better than he is now.

Luka
THJ
JJ
KP
Kleber

Thats might be our best lineup I believe. But depending on the opponent Wright and DFS should also be starters at times.

That lineup has great outside shooters: THJ, JJ, KP, Kleber. All of those should not be left alone and Luka can shoot the 3 as well as we know, thus they are all capable.

That lineup has ability to penetrate: Luka, JJ (floaters), THJ to some degree as well

That lineup has strong rim protection inside: KP and Kleber

Playmaking ability is there, but of course having Wright in there would get a boost in this area.

Overall, I think given the chance JJ would make defenses pay, he would not be left alone, and with time and minutes, his inside game and floaters would become more a weapon and Luka would find ways to exploit that.

That lineup also has great length and potential for defense as well. Again Wright would add more in this area also if he played instead of THJ. However having so many great shooters around Luka would be fun to watch.

However where I think it makes a difference is that this is the best all around lineup that provides most on offense and defense. If Wright starts to shoot bit better, he should take the place over THJ as his playmaking and defense is clearly better.
Like Reply
So Action Jackson played a stunning 19 games straight without a turnover. But also 10 games with 1 or zero rebounds.

Now he seems to be out of the rotation. 

Is this just a player who disappears, or worse is he a player who hides? He just doesn't make any impact on the game unless he's scoring. But it's nothing new ...  in fact his dad said Jackson has never wanted to be "the guy." and an NBA scout said back in 2017 "He was sort of OK blending into the background, letting Brice Johnson and Marcus Paige do the heavy lifting."

I just don't know how you build him into a consistent rotation player, much less starter-level impact player. Just ZERO killer instinct. No emotion. No "want to." The crazy thing is he knows how to cut and move off the ball. He can shoot a little. Still has a George Gervin floater. Just no heart.
Like Reply
I know this team needs the defense that DFS provides (and his offense is really coming along this year...so far) waaaaaay more than we need JJ’s offense. I hope JJ becomes more than he’s been showing so far, but I am not seeing the player ability that some want to claim him to have. Pretty clearly the 10th best player on the team IMO.
Like Reply
Hopefully, the Broekhoff experiment is over. I get JJax had a few rough games and deserved at least 1 DNP but Broski is not better than him. 

Bro clearly overstayed his welcome and playing him at PF guarding Boucher was a colossal mistake. Not saying JJax would have fared better but he is at least a little longer and much more skilled offensively. 

JJax come back we miss you.
Like Reply
I would have been glad to not see either JJ or Bro guarding the Waterboy (who is the DEVIL).
Like Reply