Poll: What to do with Justin?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Crucial Trade Sweetener
33.33%
7 33.33%
Should start
47.62%
10 47.62%
Keep him benched
19.05%
4 19.05%
Total 21 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Justin Jackson Hype Train! All Things Justin
Thumbs Up 
He is discussed a lot, is a young player on a rookie contract. Might be the missing piece given more opportunity.
Like Reply
Something to bear in mind regarding Jackson is the fact that in 2021 his cap hold is $12 million.  So, he either needs to be worth that by then or be a sweetener between now and then.

My observations regarding Jackson are he needs minutes and the freedom to be an important part of the offense to thrive.  I observed last season that his per minute production was dramatically better when he got 25 minutes or more and was quite pedestrian when he played less.  This season, his two man lineups are horrendous when he’s in with Luka or KP (doesn’t get touches).  But, the lineups are quite productive when he plays with Brunson, Wright, Powell or DFS.

I think the Mav’s have a keeper in Jackson, but like most of the rest of the team, they haven’t quite figured out what to do with him yet.
Like Reply
They should try him as 3rd option.
Like Reply
His stats have improved in every category if I am not wrong? Per minute, he is way more effective than ever before. His efficiency is on the level of justifying a start. You can always wonder if we will be as effective against starters, but so far he plays like the best SF on this team.
Like Reply
Probably half of my posts are in relation of Justin Jackson being a bigger part of this team. I think he needs to become our 3rd or 4th best player. He has the tools offensively and has the toolbox to figure it out on defense. He plays within the flow of the offense and doesn't demand the ball, while rarely wasting possessions or forcing bad shots. He produces well with limited touches. His efficiency is insane at the moment (eFG: 63.6 and TS%: 66.1). His ball handling is good enough for a SF, he's crafty and plays very smart basketball. He's tall and lanky and can get into the lane while being a good finisher (aside from missed layups vs Knicks). His 3 has been falling at a high clip (47.6) and his floater game has been good for as little as we've seen it. He doesn't force shots like THJ, and he gives you more than DFS on offense.  JJax's defense isn't bad at the moment but it isn't great either. He's big enough to guard a lot of guys and he has the lateral quickness to stay in the way on opposing drives. he may get bullied by bigger guys but to be quite honest, not many guys on this roster could do better. Lets not forget that he's still only 24 years old. He has a chance to improve on the defensive end but he'll need playing time for that. He played pretty well in the games that he started last season after he got traded here, and his style of play is perfect for this team/time period. I really do believe that by season's end or sometime early next season, we will be seeing a lot more JJax and he will be one of our better, more reliable players.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 09:14 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Something to bear in mind regarding Jackson is the fact that in 2021 his cap hold is $12 million.  So, he either needs to be worth that by then or be a sweetener between now and then.

...his two man lineups are horrendous when he’s in with Luka or KP (doesn’t get touches).  But, the lineups are quite productive when he plays with Brunson, Wright, Powell or DFS.

Sounds he may be an expensive but productive bench piece, at least until he can start clicking with Luka/KP.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 10:44 AM)TheCustodian Wrote: Probably half of my posts are in relation of Justin Jackson being a bigger part of this team. I think he needs to become our 3rd or 4th best player. He has the tools offensively and has the toolbox to figure it out on defense. He plays within the flow of the offense and doesn't demand the ball, while rarely wasting possessions or forcing bad shots. He produces well with limited touches. His efficiency is insane at the moment (eFG: 63.6 and TS%: 66.1). His ball handling is good enough for a SF, he's crafty and plays very smart basketball. He's tall and lanky and can get into the lane while being a good finisher (aside from missed layups vs Knicks). His 3 has been falling at a high clip (47.6) and his floater game has been good for as little as we've seen it. He doesn't force shots like THJ, and he gives you more than DFS on offense.  JJax's defense isn't bad at the moment but it isn't great either. He's big enough to guard a lot of guys and he has the lateral quickness to stay in the way on opposing drives. he may get bullied by bigger guys but to be quite honest, not many guys on this roster could do better. Lets not forget that he's still only 24 years old. He has a chance to improve on the defensive end but he'll need playing time for that. He played pretty well in the games that he started last season after he got traded here, and his style of play is perfect for this team/time period. I really do believe that by season's end or sometime early next season, we will be seeing a lot more JJax and he will be one of our better, more reliable players.

Agree with this, his main improvement area is to get more physical from what I see and your desription. If he maintains he movement and shooting and becomes more physical at both ends, he will be a reliable starter.
Like Reply
I don't know if he should start...but he damn sure should play a little more.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 10:49 AM)Dahlsim Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 09:14 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Something to bear in mind regarding Jackson is the fact that in 2021 his cap hold is $12 million.  So, he either needs to be worth that by then or be a sweetener between now and then.

...his two man lineups are horrendous when he’s in with Luka or KP (doesn’t get touches).  But, the lineups are quite productive when he plays with Brunson, Wright, Powell or DFS.

Sounds he may be an expensive but productive bench piece, at least until he can start clicking with Luka/KP.

That's what appears to be working best "right now".  Below is a link to an excellent article on KP.  He's putting up really good numbers and isn't anywhere near clicking.  As I've pointed out, KP lineups aren't doing very well...yet.  But the article talks about all the room there is for things to go better given time.

I go though all of that to say it is tough to judge anyone's fit on this team until the KP thing starts to click better.

https://theathletic.com/1366181/2019/11/...ectations/
Like Reply
Carlisle is doing for Jackson exactly what he did for Brandon Wright. 

Doesn't mean Jackson would produce at the same efficiency if given more minutes. 

But I love what I'm seeing so far and he's clearly worked himself into a nice 20 mpg instant offense role as a small-ball four.
Like Reply
I think Jackson is the only player on the roster with the potential/talent to possibly become our clear 3rd best player. He's long with a sweet shot and a great floater. Am I saying he will most likely be a great starter, of course not. We won't know until he's given that opportunity, but I think it's possible he could become our clear 3rd best player/scorer. I could see him being a 15 ppg player every game if he was to get 30 minutes every game and if given the green light like THJ has. I would at least like to see him given the chance so we know for sure what he is. He looked really good at the end of last year and so far to this season. His percentages are all strong. He would have to become a better rebounder and willing to defend at all times.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 11:26 AM)ballsrchr Wrote: I don't know if he should start...but he damn sure should play a little more.

This. His minutes are fridiculous (contraction for frigging ridiculous).
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 12:50 PM)vfromlmf Wrote: Carlisle is doing for Jackson exactly what he did for Brandon Wright. 

Doesn't mean Jackson would produce at the same efficiency if given more minutes. 

But I love what I'm seeing so far and he's clearly worked himself into a nice 20 mpg instant offense role as a small-ball four.

I don't think that is the case.  If you look back at JJax's time in Sac, he has had better production/efficiency when he has played more minutes.  He looks ready to breakout and earn more time on the court.  

Dan's assessment is totally accurate though in terms of Summer of '21.  He either needs to be identified as a keeper and have the roster planned (meaning to move out other contracts) to accommodate his RFA caphold and still add a max player... OR trade him.  Very little in-between. 

I think he has a shot to start if Curry comes off the bench and Wright starts.  I don't see him starting with Curry as that lineup needs more defense.
Like Reply
My thing with Justin:

He should be getting the offense that THJ is getting. Same goes for Curry. No reason to give THJ so much burn.....the ONLY reason I can think is they want his contract to be more movable.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 09:14 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Something to bear in mind regarding Jackson is the fact that in 2021 his cap hold is $12 million. So, he either needs to be worth that by then or be a sweetener between now and then.

My observations regarding Jackson are he needs minutes and the freedom to be an important part of the offense to thrive. I observed last season that his per minute production was dramatically better when he got 25 minutes or more and was quite pedestrian when he played less. This season, his two man lineups are horrendous when he’s in with Luka or KP (doesn’t get touches). But, the lineups are quite productive when he plays with Brunson, Wright, Powell or DFS.

I think the Mav’s have a keeper in Jackson, but like most of the rest of the team, they haven’t quite figured out what to do with him yet.

Great post, Dan, and the $12 mil info is extremely useful. Bottom line for me is that I'm gunshy to get too attached to any players not named Luka and KP, since this team lacks clear cut starters outside of those two, and several of the current players are likely to be trade bait for those starters. I am basically enjoying the bench mob (plus whoever the three fake starters for that particular game are) for now much as we would have enjoyed the Wright/Nelson Mavs more if we knew what was coming next, knowing that we will likely close the year after (probably) two several-for-one trades with a far better starting lineup but not enough of a bench to get out of the first round. The bench will be rebuilt in the offseason. I just hope it doesn't end up being the proverbial Rondo that we traded for when it happens. But I fully expect Justin to be one of the six or seven guys we sent out in trade.
Like Reply
Am I the only one that is barely noticing him when he is on the floor? Passive on offense and not standing out on defense. Really hard to judge him and his potential role with the current sample size. In my opinion he could do a little bit more to earn his minutes. And I don´t mean that he should force shots but a guy like DFS isn´t more talented or athletic than Jackson and still contributes in more ways. I miss some hustle and will to earn a bigger role. It feels like he is just going through the motion.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 04:49 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: Am I the only one that is barely noticing him when he is on the floor? Passive on offense and not standing out on defense. Really hard to judge him and his potential role with the current sample size. In my opinion he could do a little bit more to earn his minutes. And I don´t mean that he should force shots but a guy like DFS isn´t more talented or athletic than Jackson and still contributes in more ways. I miss some hustle and will to earn a bigger role. It feels like he is just going through the motion

I notice him on offense when he gets more than 10 minutes of playing time (like against MEM and ORL) but when he gets less than 10 mins he does seem pretty invisible. As others have stated, he is a guy that seems to be better the more minutes you give him. Like it takes him a bit to work his way into the game, maybe? 

I think offensively and rebounding wise he is doing good (career best rebounding percentage). I think on defense he is probably struggling some, but I haven't been paying too close attention.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 04:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 09:14 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Something to bear in mind regarding Jackson is the fact that in 2021 his cap hold is $12 million.  So, he either needs to be worth that by then or be a sweetener between now and then.

My observations regarding Jackson are he needs minutes and the freedom to be an important part of the offense to thrive.  I observed last season that his per minute production was dramatically better when he got 25 minutes or more and was quite pedestrian when he played less.  This season, his two man lineups are horrendous when he’s in with Luka or KP (doesn’t get touches).  But, the lineups are quite productive when he plays with Brunson, Wright, Powell or DFS.

Great post, Dan, and the $12 mil info is extremely useful. Bottom line for me is that I'm gunshy to get too attached to any players not named Luka and KP, since this team lacks clear cut starters outside of those two, and several of the current players are likely to be trade bait for those starters. I am basically enjoying the bench mob (plus whoever the three fake starters for that particular game are) for now much as we would have enjoyed the Wright/Nelson Mavs more if we knew what was coming next, knowing that we will likely close the year after (probably) two several-for-one trades with a far better starting lineup but not enough of a bench to get out of the first round. The bench will be rebuilt in the offseason. I just hope it doesn't end up being the proverbial Rondo that we traded for when it happens. But I fully expect Justin to be one of the six or seven guys we sent out in trade.

On sending out enough players to deplete the bench...  I don't think we can.  We are seriously deep.  We could send out a couple at each position and still have depth as long as we got one back at that position.  The only position we couldn't trade and NOT get someone back is probably the 5 - unless the mavs do something that they have said they don't plan to do - categorize Porzingis as a 5.  They view him as a 4 (as do I).  I view this roster as one of the more trade-friendly versions in recent memory.  That is probably by design, but also a credit to many players on the roster being able to float up/down the lineup and play multiple positions.
Like Reply
(11-11-2019, 04:55 PM)Mavsfan12 Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 04:44 PM)Scott41theMavs Wrote:
(11-11-2019, 09:14 AM)DanSchwartzman Wrote: Something to bear in mind regarding Jackson is the fact that in 2021 his cap hold is $12 million. So, he either needs to be worth that by then or be a sweetener between now and then.

My observations regarding Jackson are he needs minutes and the freedom to be an important part of the offense to thrive. I observed last season that his per minute production was dramatically better when he got 25 minutes or more and was quite pedestrian when he played less. This season, his two man lineups are horrendous when he’s in with Luka or KP (doesn’t get touches). But, the lineups are quite productive when he plays with Brunson, Wright, Powell or DFS.

On sending out enough players to deplete the bench... I don't think we can. We are seriously deep. We could send out a couple at each position and still have depth as long as we got one back at that position. The only position we couldn't trade and NOT get someone back is probably the 5 - unless the mavs do something that they have said they don't plan to do - categorize Porzingis as a 5. They view him as a 4 (as do I). I view this roster as one of the more trade-friendly versions in recent memory. That is probably by design, but also a credit to many players on the roster being able to float up/down the lineup and play multiple positions.

I'm looking at 1) how poor the starting lineup is (basically, three bench guys being thrown to the wolves who would do fantastic against opposing bench players), and 2) the fact that trades out will likely include Lee and hopefully (wishfully?) THJ, with several sweeteners needing to be sent out with each of those guys to get the other team to send out a starter. That in mind, I think that Jackson and Brunson are the Mavs least likely to be on roster at the end of the year other than Lee. They will be necessary as cheap sweeteners to unload Lee and get back something of worth, since we don't have first rounders available for trade for the next four years for the time being.

I have Wright as a guy who is just fine in the starting lineup ***if*** he is your fifth-best starter, and none of our other guys not named Luka and KP having any business in the starting lineup of a contending team.

I also have in the back of my mind that our offseason makes no sense as a dynamic strategy (i.e., what we really wanted to do instead of just having gotten caught flat-footed) unless the Mavs have specific plans for the Barnes trade exception.

I'm sniffing two trades. Who goes out, who comes in, I don't know, but I think that 1) the centerpieces of those two trades will be starter-caliber players, and 2) much of the bench mob is adios. I'll also "bet" that if I'm wrong, it's that there's one trade involving Lee and two or three bench mobsters as sweeteners, and that the Mavs keep THJ because he's immovable this year, but able to be traded when we have our pick on draft night and he's an expirer next year.
Like Reply
I think he's a guy that's ok taking open 3s.  Other than that, he has too many limitations.  Any talk of him being a "3rd option" is preposterous to me.
Like Reply