Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MAVS 94, KINGS 95
Time to sign Isiah Thomas to replace Isiah Thomas.
Like Reply
(12-30-2021, 05:36 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: I agree with the facts you stated, but I don't think Powell could fairly be expected to keep track of what percentage Metu was shooting from three on the night. That's on the coaching staff. If they wanted the players to deviate from their normal rotations and stay home on shooters, they should have given them that instruction in the timeout. I suppose it is possible they did, and that Powell/Brunson couldn't execute or went rogue. No one is going to tell us, one way or another. 

If the coaches didn't say anything, then I would bet that Powell's decision was made on instinct, rather than on an in-the-moment calculation based on Metu's up-to-the-minute three-point percentage. I suppose it is arguable that an instinct could be drilled in to have the default action be to stay home on a shooter when your team is up two on the likely last possession, although it is also arguable that you want your player to contest the layup in that situation and rely on his teammate to rotate over to cover his man. 

A real clusterfaff in numerous directions, but I have to say I don't love Kidd's coaching in clutch periods, including this one. This one play is not that important in the grand scheme, but it is such a microcosm of the Mavs' execution problems.

I don't disagree with that,but at the same time, if the coach calls a play that runs my man to the corner on that play, I have to recognize the spot he's in and that there's a reason for that.
"There are no friends on the court." - Luka Doncic
Like Reply
(12-30-2021, 06:15 PM)dirkfansince1998 Wrote: More content for Mavs trivia questions 20 years from now. Only hardcore fans will know about Isaiah Thomas and his cameo in a Mavs jersey.

Ain't it the truth? 

This is the second Mavs replacement player who has entered protocols before his 10-day was up. Yikes.
Like Reply
(12-30-2021, 11:38 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: In almost every game there is at least one extended stretch where the offense disappears and things get extremely ugly.   I am not sure if this is a fatal flaw or if it is something that can be improved when everyone is healthy.  Or if adding a guy like Dragic can help reduce this a little by having another guy who can create a little.  My hope is we find out with Dragic.  It may help us understand if it is a structural problem or something that can be ironed out moving forward by adding more creators.

They were discussing this on one of the podcasts. That in almost every game, the Mavs go through a couple of stretches where they seem to be in a tailspin and just can't score for anything. Getting Luka back and possibly getting Dragic should help, but I don't know if it solves the problem completely. The speculation was made that it's in their heads now.
Like Reply
(12-31-2021, 07:49 AM)mavsluvr Wrote: They were discussing this on one of the podcasts. That in almost every game, the Mavs go through a couple of stretches where they seem to be in a tailspin and just can't score for anything. Getting Luka back and possibly getting Dragic should help, but I don't know if it solves the problem completely. The speculation was made that it's in their heads now.

I bet they were planning to add Dragic to a team that was already winning. I wonder what they do if they get closer to the trade deadline, find that Dragic is a possibility but are still playing poorly, barely treading water, and have lost a shot at the 4th seed.
Like Reply
(12-31-2021, 09:23 AM)fifteenth Wrote: I bet they were planning to add Dragic to a team that was already winning. I wonder what they do if they get closer to the trade deadline, find that Dragic is a possibility but are still playing poorly, barely treading water, and have lost a shot at the 4th seed.

I think if he wants to be here, they'll sign him no matter what.  He has a relationship with Luka and maybe he'll show enough to get a modest contract for the next few years.  It seems like the team needs a veteran voice anyway and Dragic has the experience and the benefit of having Luka's ear.
[-] The following 2 users Like cow's post:
  • fifteenth, KillerLeft
Like Reply