Poll: Who will win the game? (Mavs 13.0 pt RAPTOR & 12.5 pt Vegas dogs)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Mavericks
30.00%
3 30.00%
Jazz
70.00%
7 70.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
GAME 32: DAL (15-17) @ UTA (23-9) | 116-120 loss
(12-26-2021, 09:21 AM)Chicagojk Wrote: it stuck out to me last night that Jalen was being hidden on defense late by putting him on the weakest offensive player on most possessions

But it was exactly because of what you pointed out: JB was worn down from carrying the offensive load.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 09:27 AM)Kammrath Wrote: But it was exactly because of what you pointed out: JB was worn down from carrying the offensive load.

Yeah that is a good point.   It is tough to find faults with some missed shots or a few ill timed turnovers when you look at what he has been asked to do with everyone out.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chicagojk's post:
  • Kammrath
Like Reply
So is Brunson out of shape too because he is worn out in fourth carrying all the load on offense or is that privilige reserved for Luka?
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 10:07 AM)omahen Wrote: So is Brunson out of shape too because he is worn out in fourth carrying all the load on offense or is that privilige reserved for Luka?

Is Brunson a two-time All-NBA first team player in the two of his first three seasons in the league with accompanying expectations of living up to that?

To quote a recent hit film, with great power comes great responsibility.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 01:21 AM)Kammrath Wrote: Impressed with Kidd's coaching ability to make these Mavs misfits competitive.

Is it his coaching,  or is it these  players are really playing hard, auditioning for a future NBA job?  Hard to say from my vantage point.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 10:07 AM)omahen Wrote: So is Brunson out of shape too because he is worn out in fourth carrying all the load on offense or is that privilege reserved for Luka?

Given what they are asked to do on defense, and how much he is having to do as far as creating his own shot as well as others, it makes perfect sense why he was burnt out late in the game. I don't think there is a player in the league that isn't susceptible to that. That's what happens when you have guys that are that athletically talented enough to beat their guys easily.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 11:40 AM)luka_skywalker_77 Wrote: Given what they are asked to do on defense, and how much he is having to do as far as creating his own shot as well as others, it makes perfect sense why he was burnt out late in the game. I don't think there is a player in the league that isn't susceptible to that. That's what happens when you have guys that are that athletically talented enough to beat their guys easily.

Totally agree. Same goes for Luka.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 02:13 AM)Mavs2021 Wrote: I have been one of the first people to say Brunson is more of a SG than a PG, but people need to stop nit-picking singular plays. THJ botched a 3 or was it even a 4 on 1 fastbreak a couple of games ago. The fact remains that Brunson can create shots for himself and others at a higher level than THJ. He´s a proven winner. He´s also just 25 years old.

I think there is a market for THJ in a salary dump, so just accept that and do it. Maybe Kings for Bagley (if you are lucky), Pacers for Lamb, Pistons for Olynyk + any guard.

The recent weeks have clearly shown that this team needs more play-making, more defense, more hustle and heart.

Doncic is part of the team cohesion/defensive problem, but THJ/Bullock are an even bigger part of the overall picture, when they account for $27M in salary.

We all love Boban, but the fact that he cannot even get on the f*cking floor right now and you pay him $3.5M (instead of the minimum or not sign him at all) basically makes him a marketing tool like Satnam Singh.

In a sense these COVID cases have made the path for Nico much clearer.

Dumping THJ for an expiring might be the easiest way to make room for signing DFS and Brunson without going over the tax, but I have a really hard time seeing Cuban pull that trigger.  They just signed him and he is part of the "leadership" team.  I don't see them moving him unless its to go after a big fish.

A Brunson/Bullock for Kemba+Mavs pick makes more long term sense anyways.  That pick has a lot of value to the Mavs, and the alternative is potentially spending a bloated market value for Brunson or letting him walk.  That THJ contract might actually have some value in a year and a half when it has less years and lower AAV.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 10:07 AM)omahen Wrote: So is Brunson out of shape too because he is worn out in fourth carrying all the load on offense or is that privilige reserved for Luka?

In 7 games without the two time ALL NBA player, JB is shooting 49.1 FG%, 37.5 3P%, 75.7 FT% and is averaging 21.1 pts, 7.3 asts, 2.1 TOs (3.47 Ast to TO ratio) all while carrying a FAR LESS talented team than Luka this season. 

While Luka has shot 44.7 FG%, 32.6 3P%, 69.8 FT% while averaging 25.6 pts, 8.5 asts, 4.6 TOs (1.84 Ast to TO ratio) this season.

I would take what JB has done everytime. That does not mean I would take JB over Luka, but JB has performed better this season even under more difficult situations.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kammrath's post:
  • BackToSquareOne, Fuerza1
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 11:06 AM)HoosierDaddyKid Wrote: Is it his coaching,  or is it these  players are really playing hard, auditioning for a future NBA job?  Hard to say from my vantage point.

Both. They want it, but he has put them into a position to have the success they are having.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 02:17 PM)Kammrath Wrote: In 7 games without the two time ALL NBA player, JB is shooting 49.1 FG%, 37.5 3P%, 75.7 FT% and is averaging 21.1 pts, 7.3 asts, 2.1 TOs (3.47 Ast to TO ratio) all while carrying a FAR LESS talented team than Luka this season. 

While Luka has shot 44.7 FG%, 32.6 3P%, 69.8 FT% while averaging 25.6 pts, 8.5 asts, 4.6 TOs (1.84 Ast to TO ratio) this season.

I would take what JB has done everytime. That does not mean I would take JB over Luka, but JB has performed better this season even under more difficult situations.

JB is a big reason why the team fell behind in the 4th and a big reason why they caught back up (the giant killer of Gobert was spectacular).  He's not a great passer when he decides to take the horse blinders off.  I'm trying to cut him some slack as he was surrounded by units filled to the brim with g-leaguers but KP also only got two shots in the 4th.  Both he and KP can put up big numbers but it really hasn't done much towards the success of this team.  I'm leaning towards both of them being empty calories on the offensive end.  If you had a starting five set, I'd probably overpay to keep him and let him reek havoc on second units, but this team is so far away from contention.  I still put him a peg or two higher than THJ and KP who I'm completely out on.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 03:23 PM)cow Wrote: JB is a big reason why the team fell behind in the 4th and a big reason why they caught back up (the giant killer of Gobert was spectacular).  He's not a great passer when he decides to take the horse blinders off.  I'm trying to cut him some slack as he was surrounded by units filled to the brim with g-leaguers but KP also only got two shots in the 4th.  Both he and KP can put up big numbers but it really hasn't done much towards the success of this team.  I'm leaning towards both of them being empty calories on the offensive end.  If you had a starting five set, I'd probably overpay to keep him and let him reek havoc on second units, but this team is so far away from contention.  I still put him a peg or two higher than THJ and KP who I'm completely out on.

JB is great, but flawed and it seems he has a somewhat limited ceiling. I personally think he has played better than Luka this year, but that isn't saying much as Luka's play has REALLY disappointed me this year. I personally would trade JB (as I would THJ and KP) this TDL or summer. The Mavs need a massive shakeup....just getting G league guys in here has been GREAT....thats how bad they need one.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 03:40 PM)Kammrath Wrote: JB is great, but flawed and it seems he has a somewhat limited ceiling. I personally think he has played better than Luka this year, but that isn't saying much as Luka's play has REALLY disappointed me this year. I personally would trade JB (as I would THJ and KP) this TDL or summer. The Mavs need a massive shakeup....just getting G league guys in here has been GREAT....thats how bad they need one.

We've been seemingly more competitive since the g-league infusion which is troubling.  Pinson being able to dribble and pass well to go along with his defense is a breath of fresh air and should really make the MBT rethink the likes of Brown/Bullock.  And speaking of Pinson, he might be athletically limited but I think he's a keeper...at least on this roster.

I just hope the internal thinking and public narrative is that we are in a slump because Luka got put on ice and we've had to play all these hardship signings.  We were a bad team prior to any of this happening and our best win of the season might be our last victory versus the Wolves.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 03:47 PM)cow Wrote: And speaking of Pinson, he might be athletically limited but I think he's a keeper...at least on this roster.

Agree. Not sure how reliable his shot really is (some nice scores but also some terrible misses in this small sample), but he has looked good. But he is already 26 and has shot badly so far. Good thing Mavs can use their 2-way spot on him. If, of course, he is not looking for a guaranteed deal. 

In any case, even if roster spot would be found, Pinson will not see much minutes when Mavs are fully healthy and will be out of playoff rotation.

Guys like him show how easy it is actually to find a decent replacement for our MLE level guys and how much more top level talent this team should have instead of those mid level contracts.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 03:47 PM)cow Wrote: We were a bad team prior to any of this happening

Yep, the Mavs have been a bad team at "full strength" this year. JB miraculously pulled them through those first 13 games with a record of 9-4....since 6-13, which is much more indicative of the level of play.
Like Reply
W-L

With Luka       12-9
Without Luka    3-8
[-] The following 3 users Like mavsluvr's post:
  • ItsGoTime, LukTheShadow, omahen
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 07:01 PM)mavsluvr Wrote: W-L

With Luka       12-9
Without Luka    3-8

I don't know how to look this up, but my memory tells me we were competitive in most of the games without Luka.  We just didn't make the plays in winning time and were generally outplayed in the fourth.  Although I feel like we struggle in most fourth quarters.  

Not saying the comment mean anything, but I think for the most part they have been competitive without Luka...against some good teams too.   They just look overmatched late.
Like Reply
With Luka... (21 games)

Off Rating: 108.4 
Def Rating: 109.4 
Net Rating: -1.0

Without Luka... (11 games and a more difficult strength of schedule and a more depleted roster overall)

Off Rating: 108.2 
Def Rating: 107.2 
Net Rating: +1.0
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kammrath's post:
  • BackToSquareOne
Like Reply
Since we love these short term on/off and off/def ratings. 

Luka/Brunson on/off:
- last 5 games: Luka +2,1; Brunson -10
- last 10 games: Luka +1,9; Brunson -15,5
- last 15 games: Luka -1,8; Brunson -17

Obviously Mavs would be far better off without Brunson in this stretch. Offense is ok but defense just falls apart. Burke was hugely positive in this stretch and obviously main reason for Mavs "success". He should play more. DFS and THJ were also good with nice positive on/off, if only Brunson wouldn't be dragging them down.

And btw: Pinson absolutely kills the team whenever he plays. Horrible on/off.
Like Reply
(12-26-2021, 07:41 PM)Chicagojk Wrote: I don't know how to look this up, but my memory tells me we were competitive in most of the games without Luka.  We just didn't make the plays in winning time and were generally outplayed in the fourth.  Although I feel like we struggle in most fourth quarters.  

Not saying the comment mean anything, but I think for the most part they have been competitive without Luka...against some good teams too.   They just look overmatched late.
A big part of winning late in games is having a closer on the court. 

Without Luka, there isn't one.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mavsluvr's post:
  • BasketballJones41
Like Reply